Medications EM-B's can use.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I am courious as to the diffrent protocals around the country. What medications can EMT-B's adminster in the wide range of area covered in this Forum?

Here in Western Virginia EMS Council EMT-B' can adminster Oxygen, Oral Glucose, and ASA ({2} 81mg baby) on standing orders, also Epi Pen, NTG, MDI and Nebulized Albuterol under online Medical Control.

I would like to see them given Glucagon for Hypoglycemia, but that may come in the next protocal update.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Here we can do oxygen, ASA, oral glucose, NTG, epi-pens, and albuterol inhalers. The last three we can only "assist" with and the patient must already have the medication.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We can administer O2, ASA (162mg), oral glucose, activated charcoal and EPI-pens to any age patient. We can assist with NTG, MDI, and nebulizers.

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
In my area of WI, we can give O2, 325mg ASA, Oral Glucose, Activated Charcoal; and can assist with NTG (with medical control OK), nebs, epi-pen

emtbuff

Forum Captain
In Iowa we are allowed to give oral glucose, ASA (2- 81mg), and O2; Assist with pt prescribed inhalers, epi-pens, and nitro. We can get medical control for additional Nitros and activated charcoal. I believe thats it.

Medivixen

Forum Crew Member
IV's with D10W and NS
glucagon, oral glucose and thiamine
nitro and ASA
epinephrine and benadryl
ventolin
entonox
narcan

MICU

Forum Crew Member
Over here we can only provied:
O2
Aspirine (after a course)
Pain killers (Acamoll/ Aoptalgin)
And Saline 0.9% IV

Thats the drugs we have on the BLS amb.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Here the basic's can give oxygen(obviously, so can a first reponder), epi-pen, mdi, and NTG all with online med control, and oral glucose under standing orders. Thats about all the med control will allow basics can do. Everything else reqiures a medic.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
epi
asa
glucose
ntg(pre prescribed)
mdi" "
charcoal(med control)

nebs are authorized by the state, however are optional. meaning that its up to each service and their inherent medical director to decided if that service will make use of the med. my service is to cheap to do the training and buy the meds.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I am courious as to the diffrent protocals around the country. What medications can EMT-B's adminster in the wide range of area covered in this Forum?

Here in Western Virginia EMS Council EMT-B' can adminster Oxygen, Oral Glucose, and ASA ({2} 81mg baby) on standing orders, also Epi Pen, NTG, MDI and Nebulized Albuterol under online Medical Control.

I would like to see them given Glucagon for Hypoglycemia, but that may come in the next protocal update.

glucagon is a big boy medication, sorry

trauma1534

Forum Captain
glucagon is a big boy medication, sorry

uhhh... anyone can give any medication when properly trained, and taught the indications and contraindications thereof.

Another thing.... what would it harm for anyone to be able to give Glucagon?

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
I don't think it would hurt anything; but it's one of those "we have always done it this way, and WILL always do it this way.....until we decide to change it" sort of things.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In PA:

O2
Activated Charcoal - 1x by standing order, then Call Command
Oral Glucose - 1x by standing order, then Call Command
Epi-Pen (with special training, carried by EMS) - 1x by standing order, then Call Command

Patient's own:
Nitro Spray or Tab - 1x by standing order, then Call Command
Epi Pen - 1x by standing order, then Call Command
Albutorol Inhaler - 1x by standing order, then Call Command

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The general : oxygen, assist in NTG, Inhalers, ASA, and activated charcoal. Now, with that saying many ER physicians are requesting that non-cardiac monitored patients no-longer receive NTG, and activated charcoal due to recent studies of new treatments of poisonings.

I am on a committee to adress in allowing Basics to place CPAP for CHF patients.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

MeckRS83

Forum Probie
The general : oxygen, assist in NTG, Inhalers, ASA, and activated charcoal. Now, with that saying many ER physicians are requesting that non-cardiac monitored patients no-longer receive NTG, and activated charcoal due to recent studies of new treatments of poisonings.

I am on a committee to adress in allowing Basics to place CPAP for CHF patients.

R/r 911

Personally, I think that EMT-B's are being taught just enough about meds to get themselves into trouble. I think other than 02, they should not be able to touch any other drugs. Too much can go wrong.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
In New Jersey

O2
Oral Glucose
Epi-Pen (patient's own)
MDI (patient's own)
Nitro (patient's own)

We have standing orders for all of these so we don't need to call medical control unless there's some sort of out-of-the-ordinary senario.

Supposedly they're considering letting us carry Epis and MDIs as well as a few other things and maybe letting us start IVs but of course they're going to talk about it for a year and then it'll never happen, so....

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Personally, I think that EMT-B's are being taught just enough about meds to get themselves into trouble. I think other than 02, they should not be able to touch any other drugs. Too much can go wrong.

using ma emt standards, i would like qualification of that statement
the meds i can give are as follows:

epi
asa
glucose
ntg(pre prescribed)
mdi" "
charcoal(med control)

how can i hurt my pts administering these medications following protocols with the proper training and con ed?

epi pen: i respond to a call for a 14yo m pt with facial edema and resp distress. pmh reveals anaphalaxyis to peanuts. mom rpts pt had some cookies at teh neighbors house. neighbor is on scene and reports that there were peanuts in recipe. pt resp distress progresses fast. hosp is 15min away. als is ten. does my pt have ten minutes??????

oral glucose: respond to the pt c/o dizziness nausea confusion and tremors. pt wearing a medica alert bracelet stating iddm. cbg-58.
how is glucose going to hurt this pt?

ntg: pt co substernal cp radiating into left arm and jaw, 10/10. pale and diaphoretic. bp: 170/96 hx of angina and a mi two yrs prior. sounds like a great to admin both asa and ntg

mdi: has to be pre prescibed, so how is it going to hurt if i help the pt by doing the squeezing?????

Medivixen

Forum Crew Member
Originally Posted by MeckRS83

If taught in school and able to demonstrate competence in pharmacology/pharmacodynamics/pharmacokinetics and physiology of the drugs we are able to give there is no reason why we should not be able to give these and other drugs that will be comming into our scope of practice in the near future. That is why we have protocols and licensing boards.