"medic"

Leatherpuke

Forum Crew Member
My Mom is in her mid seventies and I have the hardest time explaining to her that I am not an ambulance driver. Many people her age still think that the guy in the ambulance is just a driver and has no real training. It can be frustrating.

To most folks, however, I explain that I'm an advanced EMT. Most folks don't really know the difference between an EMT and Paramedic so explaining what an AEMT is can be confusing. Sometimes I'll say I'm an advanced life support tech, which sounds super impressive to the uninitiated.

Many folks in EMS in my area like to use the "medic" name for pretty much everybody. Especially since we have a high number of Military personel, medic means something different in the .Mil.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Jow about "im o e of the peoples who save your bum when you call 911" :)

Amelia

Sorry... I cant type well on my phone. Nevermind.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What do you do?

I work for the ambulance.

So you drive it?

Sometimes, yes.

Where are you when aren't driving it?

In back with the patient.

Oh you do that too?

Yes.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
If my only job was to drive the ambulance then sure go ahead and call me that.
If you're trying to get people to validate you and your position, that is a bottomless pit that will lead only to frustration. Far better to just show up to work, do what you can, appreciate when someone thanks you and not take such things so seriously.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you're trying to get people to validate you and your position, that is a bottomless pit that will lead only to frustration. Far better to just show up to work, do what you can, appreciate when someone thanks you and not take such things so seriously.
I'm not going to get mad at them calling me that but I will correct them and if needed provide very basic education. If you don't correct people then they won't change.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not going to get mad at them calling me that but I will correct them and if needed provide very basic education. If you don't correct people then they won't change.
People don't change unless they want to. I just laugh about it. Maybe your choice is the more noble one.

Amelia

What I had meant to say earlier before my first cup of coffee the other morning was "I'm the chick who is going to save your "bum" after you call 911."

Moral of the story: Don't write a word until you have had at least 1 cup 'o joe.
I'm kinda like a doctor, I just do things while going 88mph Haha

Amelia

NO idea why Dessert's post was quoted, but ok, emtlife.com

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
^agreed.

I just tell people I work on an ambulance. Its not all that glorious anyways, not like I run into burning buildings or anything. If they say oh are you a paramedic I say no, I'm an EMT. At this point they either don't care, or ask what the difference is. Now if I am wearing my EMT uniform, I am little more cautious about letting people refer to me as a paramedic, but in the heat of the moment like a critical call I really don't care.

I also never lecture people about all the differences because a)I have better ways to burn calories and b)they don't care, even if you do.

And if some medic out there gets butthurt because I let granny keep calling me a medic on our ride to the dialysis center well thats their problem.

Amelia

I wasnt trying to validate per se, just explain to all of the old ladies at my grandmas nursing home that I dont change besdpans in thr ED.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Desert, my flux capacitor actually has to do 89mph because of the lower elevation here in Texas. Plays hell with time travel.