Medic Students!!!

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Only 4 weeks left for me!!!! How many ride alongs/hospital shifts did everyone have to do?

For our Intermediate program we had to do a minimum of 108 hours in the hospital where we had to see a certain number of each patient group (25 chest pain, 25 pedi SOB, 10 OB, etc.)

There was no minimum number of hours for our ride alongs, rather a minumum number of team leads and interventions performed in the field (25 IVs, 15 meds, 5 intubations, etc.) Needed 10 team leads to pass the course.

The numbers are fairly similar for the Paramedic program, just more time spent on the ambulance.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
Only 4 weeks left for me!!!! How many ride alongs/hospital shifts did everyone have to do?

We haven't gotten to ride time in my class yet because we are only 4.5 months in. For our clinical rotations we have a minimum of 317 hours:

ED: 176
ICU= 32
L&D= 24
OR= 32
Peds= 40
Psych= 8
Morgue= 5

For our ride time we have a minimum of 500 hours and 75 patient contacts.

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
Hoping to join you boys soon. Screening process starts In a month. Only one accredited Medic program within a hundred miles and they only run a class of ~30 once a year. Just an entrance test, skills test and panel interview to knock out. Keeping the fingers crossed I score high enough to land a spot!

emt_jd

Forum Probie
Where to start after I pass the EMT exam?

Hey medics,

I just passed the nremt and waiting for my license. I don't know if I should look for a job first or apply for medic school. Please share your stories and the process of how it went for you all when you were in my shoes..

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Hey medics,

I just passed the nremt and waiting for my license. I don't know if I should look for a job first or apply for medic school. Please share your stories and the process of how it went for you all when you were in my shoes..

Why not do both? In my opinion, if you are going to make a career out of EMS, being an ALS provider is the only way to go. In many places its difficult to even get paid at all at the BLS level.

The hiring process is often loooong as well. Its not uncommon for it to take well over a year in some areas of the US.

Id start looking for work and apply to medic school while you wait for an opportunity to present itself.

Blood

Forum Crew Member
So... if a program is not accredited, is it not worth going to? There is a community college 20mins away form me that I plan on going to this fall. I was told to go to the CAAHEP website to see if it is accredited and it did not show up on there. The closest one is over 5 hours away lol. I emailed the director of the program to see if it is indeed accredited but not showing up on there. I am just wondering if I will be wasting my time and if it will give me problems trying to find a job if I go to the community college in my town.

mct601

RN/NRP
Hey medics,

Different schools of thought for that. Many people here will tell you to go straight to medic. I kept debating just going and doing it since I became a registered basic early last year. I will tell you I've learned A LOT in a year. Personally, I am glad I got the growing pains of being new to EMS out of the way while being a basic rather than a medic. I am confident that I'm ready for medic school now, before- not so much. but this is also coming from someone that just turned 21.

Hannah.911

Forum Probie
Getting ready to start at CMTI...a 54 week program south of Boston. :) I'm very, very, very (see: very) excited. :excl:

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Passed the National Practicals with 1 retake (Oral A station) July 1st I'm taking the written!

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
i start my medic class on aug 30. i've been a basic for a over a year and i volunteered with an als service for a year and found that being a paramedic is the perfect career for me. i'm also nervous due to the fact i will be one of the youngest people in the program as i'm only 18. though this should be a fun 11 months when it starts

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
T-minus 9 days and counting....getting nervous for the pharm test.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Passed the written exam I'm official. The real learning can begin now...

Good luck to everyone!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Congrats man! Passed my pharm test today, first day of school is in the books. Now 160 pages of reading before class tomorrow. A little daunting to say the least.

NREMTroe

Forum Crew Member
I start medic school in less than a month! The excitement builds more as it gets closer to the day.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So is 4 hours of sleep after work, school, studying and attempting to have a life pretty standard for medic school? If its true this is gonna be long 14 months.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
So is 4 hours of sleep after work, school, studying and attempting to have a life pretty standard for medic school? If its true this is gonna be long 14 months.
Yup, and be prepared for friends to get mad when you keep turning down social activities, because You are either to tired or need to study.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Passed the written exam I'm official. The real learning can begin now...

Good luck to everyone!
Yeah!!!! Congrats! ! Now you have gone from a parawannabe be to a parababy. :cool:

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah!!!! Congrats! ! Now you have gone from a parawannabe be to a parababy. :cool:

Thanks Fox, I'm back into the rookie socks for awhile starting my first P job in a few weeks.

Iceman26

Forum Crew Member

Yes, and since you said you work in addition to all of that good luck with the "attempting to have a life" part. ;) It's all worth it in the end, though. That said, I'm not jealous of you at all right now!

8jimi8

CFRN
Reading 12 lead ecg in acute coronary syndromes. i really miss having a traditional classroom setting. This ends up making me crave clinicals.