Medic Students!!!

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I commuted twice weekly 30 minutes one way for class for a year. Now I work in the same county as class so I commute the same almost everyday now :p

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Shift in the ICU today. The charge nurse was the same one I had last time I was there (when they had a whole 4 pts, and non critical) so as soon as I got there she hooked me up with a pt that they were taking off of life support.

Went to the OR, pushed 30,000u of Heparin, extubated him, and waited. Within about 3 min, he was satting 70% with a hr of 40. Agonal respirtations for about 30 seconds, then he was gone. Surgeon came in and we got the guys kidneys out.

It's different partaking in someones death and not being able to do anything about it, but on the contrary, promoting it.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So... ~300 clinical hours between EMT and medics school so far. Not a single cardiac arrest.

How?!

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I was the only person NOT to get a CA in my EMT class.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I WANT a CA, just... how is that possible?!

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I think i probably had most of my best clinicals in EMT school. Now that I am developing a wider knowledge base and acquiring more skills the majority of our patients have been CP and general malaise.

gremlin75

Forum Ride Along
Just started my medic course this week.

Only go one day a week but its for 12 hours. I get to start IV's next week :p

later
gremlin

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I have worked in EMS for over a year now and I have yet to recieve a cardiac arrest in the field. I've only observed in the ED on clinicals.

imurphy

Forum Captain
Class done! No on to Internship!!

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
just finished PEPP, PALS starts tomorrow, so about 3/4 of the way through the didactic Start Clinicals Jan 2nd

StreetPharmacist

Forum Crew Member
So, how is everyones progress in class going? Are you still in? Really like hearing everyone stories from class and clinicals. Iv logged about 200 hours of clinicals so far another 400 to go!!!! Class is getting harder we are approaching mid-terms on Jan7, what fun!!!! Studying for toxicology exam tomorrow!

imurphy

Forum Captain
Well done on the 200 hours street. I've logged 16 so far. I SHOULD have logged 24 by today but there has been a screw up with my paperwork on my program co-ordinators end and we're now in limbo waiting on it.

Bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:!

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not sure how many I've logged so far, half way done. I've finished almost all of my 'misc' clinicals and have just ER left to do.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Tomorrow is final for me for the 1st semester. I have gotten 7 (12 hour) ER shifts out of the way at various hospitals. Next semester I have 14 (12 hour) shifts to do, with 2 being required at labor and delivery and one at OR and ICU. Then after march I get to 12 (12 hour) ambulance rides and much more.

I feel ready for the test tomorrow, drug calculations, ABG's, capnography interpretation. I like it, its hard thought and not a easy road. Four hour round-rip 4 days a week, I am glad I did it. Next semester I only need go 3 times a week since A&P II was included first semester.