Medic Students!!!

piranah

Forum Captain
took my NREMT-P written last wed and passed....so now its on to the practical...i take that dec 13th in new hampshire...well everyone...there is light at the end of the long tunnel you are in trust me....im just about to get to the end i can taste the ticket...lol wish me luck and ill do the same for you all...anyone have any questions feel free to PM me ill try my best to answer....about the written or really anything at all...

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Gosh. I am sick and tired of clinicals. I want to do my darn internship already.

Tired of waking up at 5am, to drive 70 minutes to a hospital, to work for 12hours not getting paid a dime, then either driving 70min back OR getting a hotel, just to be up at 5am again the next day, and class at night.

6 more clinical days and I'm DONE! Cath lab and class tomorrow.

StreetPharmacist

Forum Crew Member
We just got a BOOK from our instructor with 500 rhythms to interpret for home work. Its not due till next month but wow. We also have a rhythm exam on Wednesday with 80 rhythms to do. What fun!!!! Any advice?

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Keep doing your rhythms, we viewed THOUSANDS of rhythms and had 'homework' to determine an entire 300 page book of rhythms. We never got the answer sheets but would go over all the rhythms. We spent 2 months, 6 hour days doing nothing but talking about strips. We'd go around the room 'presenting' our strip. So for example I would say the strip number (or problem number) and everything about that rhythm. We would then discuss if I was wrong or correct, and finally the instructor would say what the book says the rhythm was (and if we disagreed or thought it COULD be something else we dicussed it further).

I am a huge fan of the cardiology section, it was easily my favorite section of class.

I am really enjoying my clinicals, I've only done Peds OR and Adult ER so far but I'm liking them. Peds OR has been especially interesting, my first tube ever was a 1 yo. :)

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Keep doing your rhythms, we viewed THOUSANDS of rhythms and had 'homework' to determine an entire 300 page book of rhythms. We never got the answer sheets but would go over all the rhythms. We spent 2 months, 6 hour days doing nothing but talking about strips. We'd go around the room 'presenting' our strip. So for example I would say the strip number (or problem number) and everything about that rhythm. We would then discuss if I was wrong or correct, and finally the instructor would say what the book says the rhythm was (and if we disagreed or thought it COULD be something else we dicussed it further).

I am a huge fan of the cardiology section, it was easily my favorite section of class.

I am really enjoying my clinicals, I've only done Peds OR and Adult ER so far but I'm liking them. Peds OR has been especially interesting, my first tube ever was a 1 yo. :)

I cant wait to get heavy into cardiology, I'm getting bored. we seemed to have covered all the semi medically relevant chapters in P1 the first half to f the term, and from here on out to the first term final we are covering medicolegal, documentation and communication, therapeutic communication. all the chapters that seem like they could be independant study.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Cardiology was fun... requires actual brain cells to understand, so it seperates the people who truley care from the wannabes in class.

After our OB/GYN test last Wed, we're all done with the medical aspects of class. Now it's pure trauma for the next few weeks.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Cardiology was fun... requires actual brain cells to understand, so it seperates the people who truley care from the wannabes in class.

After our OB/GYN test last Wed, we're all done with the medical aspects of class. Now it's pure trauma for the next few weeks.

good because i hate learning about radio communications and whatnot. i've been doing some self study reading dale dubin's rapid ekg book and find it much more interesting

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Dale Dubins book is WONDERFUL. Probably THE best intro to cardiology I've found. I recommend you get a couple other EKG workbooks. No actual knowledge just hundreds of pages of strips. That's what I did and it really helped. I'd say without hesitation that cardiology is the one section of class that I went above and beyond for. Pharmacology is STILL my weakest link, stupid pharmacology.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Dale Dubins book is WONDERFUL. Probably THE best intro to cardiology I've found. I recommend you get a couple other EKG workbooks. No actual knowledge just hundreds of pages of strips. That's what I did and it really helped. I'd say without hesitation that cardiology is the one section of class that I went above and beyond for. Pharmacology is STILL my weakest link, stupid pharmacology.

will do. i also have a ton of ekg strips from clinicals at the hospital. as long as there is no patient identifiable information on the print out we are allowed to copy ekgs for cardiology in p2. i have a few pretty nasy strips

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I did Dubins book, and bought an EKG strip book to work on strips too. The strip book was bought at Borders and was titled "EKG Strip Ease".

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Eughh. Tomorrow begins two weeks of concentrated nursing - kicking off with hand washing and bed making....sweet. Damn their inter-professional education initiatives. :wacko: I'd much prefer to be completely ignorant of 'condom drainage'.

Sigh, it really annoys me that I'm paying to learn how to make beds. I broke down my university fees and I'm paying something like $70 for it.

swindlman

Forum Crew Member
Awesome, Thanks!

Has anyone tried any other books or is this the Best to get your strip reading to be second nature

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Awesome, Thanks!

Has anyone tried any other books or is this the Best to get your strip reading to be second nature

IMO the only way to get strip reading to second nature is practice. To expose yourself to as many 'clinical' strips as possible. So make sure when you buy your book they use REAL clinical strips, not just randomly computer generated waveforms.

Find a pattern (Dubin has a great pattern to follow in the back of his books) to determine rapidly what the strip is.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
This is going to be a joyful week...

Up at 445 tomorow, ER 8-3, class 6-10
Getting a hotel for the night
Up at 6am Wed for ICU clinical 7-3
Up again at 445 Thurs for ER 7-7
Class Friday 6-10

Yay.

:glare:

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
This is going to be a joyful week...

Up at 445 tomorow, ER 8-3, class 6-10
Getting a hotel for the night
Up at 6am Wed for ICU clinical 7-3
Up again at 445 Thurs for ER 7-7
Class Friday 6-10

Yay.

:glare:

ah, the joys of being a commuting medic student. i feel ya there B)

EMTim

Forum Probie
ah, the joys of being a commuting medic student. i feel ya there B)

Yes, it's definitely painful...

I took NR yesterday and just checked...I passed! So keep focused on the light at the end of the tunnel, fellow students.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Finished my Peds OR clinical today, total of 8 intubations across 4 days =/

But on to the next. This month is terrible, I have 4 days off for the entire month.

mct601

RN/NRP
this commuter's hell is worrying me lol I'll be commuting anywhere from 30min to an hour to school depending on which one I decide to go to. thats life I guess.