Medic school

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So, trying to decide on medic schools right now, and want some opinions. My money is on "Apply to traditional school and take medical classes until accepted" will be the primary answer.

Anyhow;

I have a few choices in medic schools.

I can do the traditional CC type that takes ~18 months. Not a guaranteed acceptance, but I could always take A&P and med term and stuff like that.

I can do a private EMT training facility that takes 11 months. The one I've been reading up on has actually been recommended to me by many-a-medic as being a good place to go, and actually has a decent grad rate as well.

Or I can do a 6 month course at a local hospital, from 8-3 everyday. They have one of the highest pass rates in the state.

But there are downsides to each.

If I do traditional, it could be a year even before I get accepted, plus another 18 months of actual schooling. A LOT can change in those 18-30 months, injury, illness, family moving, stuff like that. But on the flip side, solid education, better base, and more comprehension. I went to one of these schools for my EMT and they didn't teach the NREMT-- they taught what you needed to know to help people.

If I do the 11 month, it might be what some consider a medic mill. I get very good recommendations to that location, and it's the same cost as the traditional CC type. On the flip side, I don't want to be taught the test.

If I do the 6 month, they make you go to an A&P class for paramedics. It's shorter, so if I DO fail, it won't be a huge setback on time. They are also highly recommended and have a good pass rate. But, on the other hand, I don't feel comfortable being rushed through in 6 months what others do in a year. I want a bit more time to comprehend what is being taught.

So, time wise, the 11 month is perfect. But education wise, the traditional is better if I'm not accepted right away, but like I said, a LOT can change in 18-30 months. I can even take A&P this coming semester and still possibly make it to the fall medic class.

So anyhow, I'm sure I'll get told to do the traditional school after taking A&P and other medical classes, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyhow for any dissenting opinions.
What kind did you go to?
Would you recommend it?
Why/why not?

Keep it professional too, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

curt

Forum Crew Member
*really big quote*

Starting this Wednesday, I'm attending a 12-month course for Paramedic, 2 to 3 days a week, 0900 to 1630. I know the instructor I'm with, he's a great guy, knows his stuff, teaches it good (both the real stuff and the pass-the-test stuff) and if I remember right, he's been statewide instructor of the year two or three times and was once nominated for region. Maybe you should look into the instructors?

reaper

Working Bum
Simple, the good one with the best education will most likely have a waiting list and you need to be accepted to it! (hint hint)

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Simple, the good one with the best education will most likely have a waiting list and you need to be accepted to it! (hint hint)

That's what I was thinking.

The CC I went to EMT for has great instructors. They run 2 medic schools a year, one in fall and one in January. The fall class takes 24 while spring takes 18.

Honestly, I keep hitting that
"Alot can, and does, change in 2 years" dilemma.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's what I was thinking.

The CC I went to EMT for has great instructors. They run 2 medic schools a year, one in fall and one in January. The fall class takes 24 while spring takes 18.

Honestly, I keep hitting that
"Alot can, and does, change in 2 years" dilemma.

A lot CAN happen in two years. You may become better educated and have an easier time in medic school. You can determine perhaps you don't want to a paramedic. Maybe a nurse, or a PA.

Also, don't judge a school by their pass rates. Many (mine included) focus on making you pass the test, not know and understand the material. Granted, good paramedics can come from bad schools (and I hope after all is said and done I will be one of them!) but take it from someone who had the foolishness to go to a medic mill, it's frustrating and irritating when you realize how sub par it was and short changed you are.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I know you'll do great! :]

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You're predicment is the main reason why I even considered asking the question. I know a few people on here went to those types of places, and it was even recommended to me by a few medics I know (who absolutely detest the company owned medic school) so I was trying to get a more diverse and open, viewpoint on the matter.

The school I was looking at was emts911.com . THeir next class starts May 20th and ends March 19th, doing C-shift schedule. They do clincials with Dallas fire/rescue.

:)

Sasha

Forum Chief
You're predicment is the main reason why I even considered asking the question.

Well good! Glad I was helpful to someone else. Make sure you get their policies spelled out for you, and see them in writing. That's my main problem now. I was so frustrated I was in tears today in the department chair's office :[

I know whatever you choose will be right for you, your place sounds pretty good. Good luck and study hard!

HatchetHarry

Forum Crew Member
Im in an 8 month M-W 9am-1:30pm program with 400 hours of rides and 200 hours of clinicals. Its pretty fast paced but I didnt really want to spend 4 semesters at a CC after I already spent 5 years at a state university getting a useless BA.

I would only suggest one of these accelerated programs if you are a good student with a good work ethic that also doesnt need to work during the program.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well good! Glad I was helpful to someone else. Make sure you get their policies spelled out for you, and see them in writing. That's my main problem now. I was so frustrated I was in tears today in the department chair's office :[

I know whatever you choose will be right for you, your place sounds pretty good. Good luck and study hard!

What's going on with the policies, if I may ask?

I would only suggest one of these accelerated programs if you are a good student with a good work ethic that also doesnt need to work during the program.

Going through EMT class, things just clicked with me, and I never read a full chapter. I only read that which I did not understand. I ended up with the second highest grade in the class at 90.

Work is not an issue-- I'm spoiled. Parents will pay for the class, pay my expenses, and pay for an apt near the location so I don't have to do 1+hr commutes each way.

Sasha

Forum Chief

HatchetHarry

Forum Crew Member
What's going on with the policies, if I may ask?

Going through EMT class, things just clicked with me, and I never read a full chapter. I only read that which I did not understand. I ended up with the second highest grade in the class at 90.

Work is not an issue-- I'm spoiled. Parents will pay for the class, pay my expenses, and pay for an apt near the location so I don't have to do 1+hr commutes each way.

Medic School is alot more intensive than EMT-B. EMT-B could be passed with an A average by a middle school student. Its good that you dont have to work during the class but dont expect it to be a repeat of EMT-B and definitely plan on reading the chapters...several times for things like patho, cardiology, respiratory.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
So, trying to decide on medic schools right now, and want some opinions. My money is on "Apply to traditional school and take medical classes until accepted" will be the primary answer.

Anyhow;

I have a few choices in medic schools.

I can do the traditional CC type that takes ~18 months. Not a guaranteed acceptance, but I could always take A&P and med term and stuff like that.

I can do a private EMT training facility that takes 11 months. The one I've been reading up on has actually been recommended to me by many-a-medic as being a good place to go, and actually has a decent grad rate as well.

Or I can do a 6 month course at a local hospital, from 8-3 everyday. They have one of the highest pass rates in the state.

But there are downsides to each.

If I do traditional, it could be a year even before I get accepted, plus another 18 months of actual schooling. A LOT can change in those 18-30 months, injury, illness, family moving, stuff like that. But on the flip side, solid education, better base, and more comprehension. I went to one of these schools for my EMT and they didn't teach the NREMT-- they taught what you needed to know to help people.

If I do the 11 month, it might be what some consider a medic mill. I get very good recommendations to that location, and it's the same cost as the traditional CC type. On the flip side, I don't want to be taught the test.

If I do the 6 month, they make you go to an A&P class for paramedics. It's shorter, so if I DO fail, it won't be a huge setback on time. They are also highly recommended and have a good pass rate. But, on the other hand, I don't feel comfortable being rushed through in 6 months what others do in a year. I want a bit more time to comprehend what is being taught.

So, time wise, the 11 month is perfect. But education wise, the traditional is better if I'm not accepted right away, but like I said, a LOT can change in 18-30 months. I can even take A&P this coming semester and still possibly make it to the fall medic class.

So anyhow, I'm sure I'll get told to do the traditional school after taking A&P and other medical classes, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyhow for any dissenting opinions.
What kind did you go to?
Would you recommend it?
Why/why not?

Sounds like you figured out already which one you should go with (the one with the better education). If they call a class A&P for paramedics... I'd stay away from that one and take a full out college A&P which it sounds like the 18month one will make ya take.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Medic School is alot more intensive than EMT-B. EMT-B could be passed with an A average by a middle school student. Its good that you dont have to work during the class but dont expect it to be a repeat of EMT-B and definitely plan on reading the chapters...several times for things like patho, cardiology, respiratory.

Oooh ooh! Plus One!

The Not Study Game earned me two 80% and one 60% and then I got my bum in gear. I was like you where I just showed up to EMT class and got A's. That crap doesn't cut it in Medic school

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm amazed at how little time is spent on paramedic training. Here in Canada it's a 2 yr course for paramedic. Here 6 months is what the length of our EMT courses.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Yes a lot can and probably will change in two years but my thinking is that if it is meant to be then it things will fall into place. If I were you I would go with the CC paramedic class. Also like Sasha said, don't judge a school on their pass rates. My school actually has a 50% fail rate because they gear you up for being an EMT or Medic in the real world not an EMT or Medic that can pass a test.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
So what do you want to be when you grow up? Seriously. Do you always want to be just an ambulance jockey and just get by? Then just take the simplistic way and least resistance.

There is a lot of "what if's" As well, instead of looking for the what if's .. you should also ask the what if's after Paramedic school. Where do you see yourself in five, seven years, ten years? Still at the same position, riding the streets? That's okay but no significant pay raises no room to move upward and your experience will count for ? You will be competing against them for advancement and promotions.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
My school actually has a 50% fail rate because they gear you up for being an EMT or Medic in the real world not an EMT or Medic that can pass a test.

Obviously they don't, because being an EMT or Medic in the "real world" requires you to first pass a test.

If they teach you how to be a prehospital provider, and not an ambulance driver, you should be prepared for both the test and the "real world". Do you think dosages, processes, and treatments magically change from the book to the street? It's the same stuff, those who teach "street medicine" are usually lazy bums who don't want to learn the real way and would pale in comparison to a REAL paramedic. I was precepted by both types of paramedics, and I'd prefer the ones with all that book learnin' to be working on me, because they know what to do once their protocol fails them.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Real world paramedic in California? What happened, they didn't teach you how to read the cookbook... err protocol book?

curt

Forum Crew Member
Obviously they don't, because being an EMT or Medic in the "real world" requires you to first pass a test.

If they teach you how to be a prehospital provider, and not an ambulance driver, you should be prepared for both the test and the "real world". Do you think dosages, processes, and treatments magically change from the book to the street? It's the same stuff, those who teach "street medicine" are usually lazy bums who don't want to learn the real way and would pale in comparison to a REAL paramedic. I was precepted by both types of paramedics, and I'd prefer the ones with all that book learnin' to be working on me, because they know what to do once their protocol fails them.
Agreed. One of the best medics (skill wise, attitude wise, etc) I've ever precepted with was also one of the only medics I've met that had been field tested and still insisted that what you learn in the class, in the books, IS valuable and important.

If I had an ability to choose, I'd trust her with my life over almost anyone else at that service.

Again, look into who your instructors are. Even a medic mill could be a great place to get an education with the right instructors taking the right approach. Conversely, with one bad instructor, an otherwise excellent school could be putting out half-baked medics.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

I haven't read the rest of the posts so far becuase I already know how people are going to answer here and so do you.

The real question what do you want?

The 6 month program is fast. Will you be able to retain the relevant information? I don't think you will and neither do you. So your not going to pick that one.

you seem like you want the real education and therefore your going to pick the 2 year program. Even though the 11 month program is perfect timewise, you want the education.