Medic alert tags

Lozenger19

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone

I'm not sure if there is a post for this anywhere but,

I'm mainly based in a hospital and have been told that I'm not allowed to ware my medic alert tag round my wrist and I'm not allowed to ware any necklaces.

I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this situation or what others do in the way of medic alert?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Tattoo.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I highly doubt they'd allow a tattoo if they don't allow a medic alert bracelet.

Did they tell you why you can't wear it?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Medic alert tattoos lack readability and blur with time. Besides medical conditions can change, and where are you then?

Ask the employer how you can meet their requirement and the requirement that you wear the medic alert? Ask your MD for a letter explaining the need.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
If there is a safety issue, that's going to be the only way they'll be able to tell you you can't wear something like that. Perhaps a necklace? With a fly-away clasp? But generally employers are not allowed to ban things you wear for medical or religious reasons unless there is a safety issue at hand.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I would have thought that medical alert tags would have fallen under ADA.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I just can't see why a pendant on a chain that's designed to break with a certain amount of force (like the ball chains associated with dog tags) that can potentially save your life can be prohibited by your employer.

Methinks a supervisor with something to prove is taking the "no jewelry" rule too far.

Speak with someone at a higher level of management.

OP
OP
Lozenger19

Lozenger19

Forum Crew Member
I have spoken to the top manager that I can possibly go to and was told

"no bracelets for infection control reasons & no necklaces as we have a no jewellery policy. Necklaces can also be broken by patients"

There are no exceptions!!

So at the moment.... I'm not wearing any form of medic alert at work.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Wedding rings?

Just think! if you have a medical emergency you could always sue! :p

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hello everyone

I'm not sure if there is a post for this anywhere but,

I'm mainly based in a hospital and have been told that I'm not allowed to ware my medic alert tag round my wrist and I'm not allowed to ware any necklaces.

I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this situation or what others do in the way of medic alert?

How about an anklet?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Wallet card?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm having trouble finding it right now but there was an issue with the FDA and a restaurant who had a worker who wanted to wear a medic alert bracelet but couldn't due to FDA regulations. The ADA ruled that he should be allowed to wear a necklace instead and that the restaurant and FDA could make him take off the bracelet b/c another reasonable accommodation was proposed.