MCHD Questions

nmarymedix1

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone!

I’m a new and I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’ve done my research on this site about some questions I have about MCHD EMS but have seen relatively little information.

Im hoping someone can help answer some questions I have about the service as I am looking to relocate to Texas and would love to work for a well paying, established service with great pay, benefits, protocols, and equipment

I know a decent amount about MCHD but have a few questions.

- What is their schedule like?
- What’s their call volume per medic unit or alternatively, how many medic units do they have and what is their annual call volume?
- Any known cons to the service?

If any current or recent employee would mind talking, I’d love to discuss this over PM.
Thank You!

OP
OP
N

nmarymedix1

Forum Ride Along
Curious if you’ve called them and asked?
I haven’t. I’m not sure it’s the most appropriate move as 1, They’re no longer currently hiring and 2, In light of that, I didn’t think it really made sense for someone who just wants to work there to call and ask questions about the service when I could potentially get that information and more from the forum. Just my two cents.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Nothing inappropriate at all. Why wouldn’t you call and ask questions to determine if it’s a good fit before you waste anyone’s time? “hi, I’m considering applying for a position with your agency, and I was hoping I could speak with someone who can answer some questions I have...”

That shows iniatiave and that you know how to make an inquiry about a position as an adult. It’s also a great way to get on the hiring managers radar.

I’ve had several conversations with perspective employees who’ve called to ask me questions and and when it came time for the interview, I always remember them and mention that we spoke when they called to ask about the job.

I interviewed an EMT that started off our interview by thanking me for taking the time to answer questions about the position. That made a great impression. She was polite, well spoken and knew what we were all about before she came in.

Don’t be nervous about calling and asking. Every agency needs good people and someone who takes initiative to call and ask good questions is someone that agencies are going to be interested in.

It is also a far more reliable source than anything you’ll find on an anonymous message board.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Nothing inappropriate at all. Why wouldn’t you call and ask questions to determine if it’s a good fit before you waste anyone’s time? “hi, I’m considering applying for a position with your agency, and I was hoping I could speak with someone who can answer some questions I have...”

That shows iniatiave and that you know how to make an inquiry about a position as an adult. It’s also a great way to get on the hiring managers radar.

I’ve had several conversations with perspective employees who’ve called to ask me questions and and when it came time for the interview, I always remember them and mention that we spoke when they called to ask about the job.

I interviewed an EMT that started off our interview by thanking me for taking the time to answer questions about the position. That made a great impression. She was polite, well spoken and knew what we were all about before she came in.

Don’t be nervous about calling and asking. Every agency needs good people and someone who takes initiative to call and ask good questions is someone that agencies are going to be interested in.

It is also a far more reliable source than anything you’ll find on an anonymous message board.
Because you are likely to get vastly different answers if you call and speak to someone in management vs field employees. I can call up my ground company right now and ask questions from the hiring manager and they will tell me how great of a place it is to work at and how they care about the clinical quality of our paramedics and have aggressive protocols but if I talk to any field employee, all of that is false.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Because you are likely to get vastly different answers if you call and speak to someone in management vs field employees. I can call up my ground company right now and ask questions from the hiring manager and they will tell me how great of a place it is to work at and how they care about the clinical quality of our paramedics and have aggressive protocols but if I talk to any field employee, all of that is false.

I guess my reply to this whole thing is ... Who the eff really cares. If the OP wants to call and ask questions like, "What is their schedule like? and What’s their call volume per medic unit or alternatively, how many medic units do they have and what is their annual call volume?" Those are questions that should probably be answered by the admin staff.

If you want to ask a generic "what it like to work there?", you'll never get a real answer. Some people will love it, others will hate it. That's so arbitrary, it's almost not worth asking.

But again, I have no dog in this fight. If the OP wants to call and ask questions of the people that can provide valid insight, that's great. If the OP wants a bunch of generic, anonymous opinions from an internet message board, that's cool too.

I've decided that when it comes to questions like this, I'll just keep on scrolling, cuz really, I have ZFTG.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I guess my reply to this whole thing is ... Who the eff really cares. If the OP wants to call and ask questions like, "What is their schedule like? and What’s their call volume per medic unit or alternatively, how many medic units do they have and what is their annual call volume?" Those are questions that should probably be answered by the admin staff.

If you want to ask a generic "what it like to work there?", you'll never get a real answer. Some people will love it, others will hate it. That's so arbitrary, it's almost not worth asking.

But again, I have no dog in this fight. If the OP wants to call and ask questions of the people that can provide valid insight, that's great. If the OP wants a bunch of generic, anonymous opinions from an internet message board, that's cool too.

I've decided that when it comes to questions like this, I'll just keep on scrolling, cuz really, I have ZFTG.
Sure, you will get people who love it and others who hate it. On the opposite side, you will get some truthful answers to questions other than those very generic questions.

Questions that are more relevant to me would be: how is dispatch? How often do you get off late? Is it easy to get PTO? How is management? Do you ever get forced? Do you guys have bed delay?

These ones would be probably better/more accurately answered by current non-management level field crews.

OP
OP
N

nmarymedix1

Forum Ride Along
Sure, you will get people who love it and others who hate it. On the opposite side, you will get some truthful answers to questions other than those very generic questions.

Questions that are more relevant to me would be: how is dispatch? How often do you get off late? Is it easy to get PTO? How is management? Do you ever get forced? Do you guys have bed delay?

These ones would be probably better/more accurately answered by current non-management level field crews.
All great questions that I would love to know!

OP
OP
N

nmarymedix1

Forum Ride Along

I appreciate your input and sure, calling is potentially a good idea, if you ask the right questions. But in all fairness, If you didn’t have any input for the questions asked, you didn’t have to answer. You don’t need to reply to the original post only to let others know that you have “ZFTG” when you see posts like this. That’s not constructive. But of course, you are obviously free to do what you want as this is a forum and whoever wants to can comment whatever they want, whether edifying or not.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I appreciate your input and sure, calling is potentially a good idea, if you ask the right questions. But in all fairness, If you didn’t have any input for the questions asked, you didn’t have to answer. You don’t need to reply to the original post only to let others know that you have “ZFTG” when you see posts like this. That’s not constructive. But of course, you are obviously free to do what you want as this is a forum and whoever wants to can comment whatever they want, whether edifying or not.
You DO realize those posts were on point, right?

OP
OP
N

nmarymedix1

Forum Ride Along
In a nutshell, the points presented were, “call them,” (which the reasons for calling were valid and I appreciate the feedback, but I think there is merit in both calling and posting on the forum) and “ZFTG.”

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Everything posted so far has been on point, even if they were posts that the OP wasn't expecting.