McCormick FTO

OP
OP
E

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
What i will say, is that after working for three different private companies in LA Co over the years (PRN....before they got bought out, Gerber...before they went out of business, then finally McCormick), only my time spent as a fire department Ambulance Operator (AO) was I working for anyone woth higher morale, better equipment/station life/etc etc.

Don't underestimate how nice it is to be able to have an actual station identity, St 2 The Brook is MY station, I'm gonna take care of it...not just because station chores are a chore you gotta do, but because it's MY station and crews take pride in that, and yeah that reflects when crews get together and design station patches and logos and the like. If that's just an extraneous detail to yoy...so be it, you can always stick with day cars that don't have a set station (and no one is forcing you to wear a station patch if you don't want one)

Yeah it's important sometimes to remember we're only BLS transport, that theres lots of days where we only end up doing glorified IFTs amd take a bunch of people to the ER that we suspect dont need the ER....but that's not the same as hating on the job and saying we shouldn't enjoy it or try to emulate the Departments that lets face it, most EMTs want to use McCormick as a step stair to join. Enjoy the grunt work, even being a FF is full of that (besides 80% of FDs calls being medical, 80% of the remainder is "just" "smells and bells")

At least within LA, despite the low pay, McCormick is still prob the best private. At least with the low pay you know the remainder isn't funding the owners next Land Rover, instead ots going to a brand new fleet (literally McCormick is buying brand new ambulances for every unit, something 60 new rigs....amd most of them are already in Service, no 1 new rig a year there....oh and each one is coming with both Power Load and Power Cot systems
On further question, how does McCormick expect you to work with LACoFD as an emt? Seeing as how fire is 90% of the time always on scene first, are we just stretcher fetchers?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Bingo. And I believe the actual street number is 750 Highland
Or, as I knew it, AMR West Hollywood. And no, last time I checked there were no units there. This was about 6 months ago or so.

Side note: too bad there wasn’t a Fat Sal’s around there back then...

OP
OP
E

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
Or, as I knew it, AMR West Hollywood. And no, last time I checked there were no units there. This was about 6 months ago or so.

Side note: too bad there wasn’t a Fat Sal’s around there back then...
That’s a shame. My dreams for a 10 minute commute to work are dashed

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
When I first started at McCormick (just over 2 yrs ago now? Wow how time flies...) there was no Station 4. They covered WeHo with a handful of 12 hr day cars. While those units were assigned to West Hollywood, most of them starting out of the main station in Hawthorne, it was really easy for them to get stuck in that vortex if it was busy when they started (and Inglewood/Hawthorne is always busy lol)...then about 6 months later they reopened Station 4 at 750 N Highland, 401 and 402 replaced most of the day cars except the one that started out of St 3.

About a year ago they had a Kaiser contract and replaced 402 with one of the 3 paramedic ambulances McCormick has, and 401 was first up for 911s (and Kaiser BLS runs) while RA901 (maybe it was 902? I forget) got all the ALS IFTs. That lasted a little while befire the Kaiser contract ended and went back to 401 and 402, with a day car or two floating around was how it was when I left McCormick last July.

MyNameIsRobert

Forum Ride Along
Yup they are also coming out with station 22. 341 and m51 will deploy out of there and 341 will be turned into 2201 soon after.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup they are also coming out with station 22. 341 and m51 will deploy out of there and 341 will be turned into 2201 soon after.
west side of WeHo to support Santa Monica as Well?

(I heard they opened a new Santa Monica station 21 with 6 units for SMFD...love that code 2 only response requiring as many rigs there as the whole Malibu battalion lol)

MyNameIsRobert

Forum Ride Along
west side of WeHo to support Santa Monica as Well?

(I heard they opened a new Santa Monica station 21 with 6 units for SMFD...love that code 2 only response requiring as many rigs there as the whole Malibu battalion lol)
It’s a weird location, station 22 will be off of Washington and South LaBrea.
Yup 6 units lol. They had to expedite an evoc class just to get enough people in there in time. I’m an A/O still and people hired after me went into evoc before me to fill spots there. I’m ok with it though my partner and I never get split so it’s all good. Torrance Day Car Life is good for me.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
That whole area is riddled with rush hour traffic almost constantly. Being pretty much located in a major artery not far from LAX, it’s probably a good idea to upstaff like so and not lose EOA’s that are coveted to the company’s down there.

AMR seems to have served as an excellent learning curve for many of company’s since, including themselves. It was 2 24’s and a third day car for what, even then, was a busy little city. In a pinch the day car at Slauson and Hannum in Culver City could back fill, and in a super pinch the one coming from the post (Home Depot parking lot?) that was behind LACoFD #58 could come in.

It was a bad day if the Calabasas 24 was coming in, or the day car that sat between there and Malibu for move ups was racing all the way up PCH for a lovely, and emergent Santa Monica outdoorsman.