McCormick FTO

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
How does field training work with McCormick? I tried searching through the forums but couldn’t find anything fulfilling. Can anyone who’s currently with McCormick shed some light on this?

wtferick

Forum Captain
I'm sure someone will drop the link to all the info you ever need. It's nap time.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I got hired by McCormick almost exactly 2 years ago now (tail end of Dec '15 thru this past July '17 when I left)...I don't think much has changed since then, but as VentMonkey says I'm no longer with the company, and they've since been bought out by AMR and have (at least tried to) expand somewhat so things may have changed....so anyways, since you're asking about the FTO process, ill skip the whole testing/interviewing steps and now you've got the job offer and signed the 50 different papers and whatnot, and have a new hire orientation class date. Before then you'll go pick up a couple pairs of uniforms (back then it was at old Headquarters/Station 11 Hawthorne....which was renumbered to St 1, and then to St 10 when they opened the new Compton HQ lol). Then there's a week or so of new hire orientation. Basically you'll sit in a classroom with a bunch of other new hires and go over company specific policies and procedures, the ePCR system, how to use the Thomas Guide to map to/from calls and hospitals and posting spots and stations, etc, specifics on differences when responding with Torrance vs County vs Compton (and vs Santa Monica now I guess) vs IFT and other similar company specific odds and ends...oh and there was a day or two of EMT skills testing.

Now done with classroom, you'll be assigned an FTO. They're typically out of the 24hr stations. Shifts officially start at 0700 but (and they'll go over this) you're expected to be there ready to respond to a call at 0630 (that's the time the new incoming crew is allowed to jump a call for the off going crew....so if you show up at 0645, or even 0632, but your FTO took a 0631 call, guess what, you're late, and as a trainee you'll be let go if late twice during FTO period). Anyways it's 12 hours for you, I think it's 4 or 5 shifts on your FTOs schedule (i.e. if they're on a Torrance 48/96 you'll do a 12 hour day, come back for the second 12 hr day, then have to wait 4 days before your next set of 12 hrs....vs if they're on a County schedule you'll work one day, have a day off, work the second, 2 days off, then repeat the day on, day off, but now it's 4 days off before shift 5...unless your FTO decides to pick up overtime on their days off, then you can be allowed to train with them on whatever OT shift that may be)

Just like everywhere else, you'll have a task sheet of skills you have to show competency on, if you don't get a chance to do them for real on actual calls (i.e. tourniquet or traction splinting) you'll demonstrate for your FTO with their partner. Basically by the last shift they should just spend all day chilling just watching you handle everything on your own as if they weren't there. While it's not exactly hard to pass, it does require competency and people have been fired for being unable to pass their FTO period.

Anyways, once you pass, you'll be cleared as an Attendant Only (A/O on eCore), you'll be assigned a shift (most likely a 12 hour shift, but may be a 24hr shift depending on openings), you can pick up OT on any non ALS unit (there's only 3 vs 60 something BLS units)....except you can't drive yet. You'll spend every shift (12 or 24hrs) as the attendant, so you can't pick up shifts with a buddy who's also an A/O....if two A/Os pick up the same shift they'll split them with a crew that's dual driver.

Depending on when they get around to scheduling it, typically 3-6 months, they'll do an EVOC day for A/Os where you sit in a classroom learning basic driver stuff and an afternoon on a come course. Pass that you'll need 3 shifts with an FTO (when I did mine they paired you back up with your original FTO, though that's not guaranteed, I had one partner do his with one of the Supervisors riding on our shift...basically your FTO either picks up OT on your shift amd/or you pick up OT on their shift, 3 12 hr days driving with the FTO riding shotgun (your partner attending the calls) and basically don't crash or get lost and you're now a cleared driver.

wtferick

Forum Captain
I got hired by McCormick almost exactly 2 years ago now (tail end of Dec '15 thru this past July '17 when I left)...I don't think much has changed since then, but as VentMonkey says I'm no longer with the company, and they've since been bought out by AMR and have (at least tried to) expand somewhat so things may have changed....so anyways, since you're asking about the FTO process, ill skip the whole testing/interviewing steps and now you've got the job offer and signed the 50 different papers and whatnot, and have a new hire orientation class date. Before then you'll go pick up a couple pairs of uniforms (back then it was at old Headquarters/Station 11 Hawthorne....which was renumbered to St 1, and then to St 10 when they opened the new Compton HQ lol). Then there's a week or so of new hire orientation. Basically you'll sit in a classroom with a bunch of other new hires and go over company specific policies and procedures, the ePCR system, how to use the Thomas Guide to map to/from calls and hospitals and posting spots and stations, etc, specifics on differences when responding with Torrance vs County vs Compton (and vs Santa Monica now I guess) vs IFT and other similar company specific odds and ends...oh and there was a day or two of EMT skills testing.

Now done with classroom, you'll be assigned an FTO. They're typically out of the 24hr stations. Shifts officially start at 0700 but (and they'll go over this) you're expected to be there ready to respond to a call at 0630 (that's the time the new incoming crew is allowed to jump a call for the off going crew....so if you show up at 0645, or even 0632, but your FTO took a 0631 call, guess what, you're late, and as a trainee you'll be let go if late twice during FTO period). Anyways it's 12 hours for you, I think it's 4 or 5 shifts on your FTOs schedule (i.e. if they're on a Torrance 48/96 you'll do a 12 hour day, come back for the second 12 hr day, then have to wait 4 days before your next set of 12 hrs....vs if they're on a County schedule you'll work one day, have a day off, work the second, 2 days off, then repeat the day on, day off, but now it's 4 days off before shift 5...unless your FTO decides to pick up overtime on their days off, then you can be allowed to train with them on whatever OT shift that may be)

Just like everywhere else, you'll have a task sheet of skills you have to show competency on, if you don't get a chance to do them for real on actual calls (i.e. tourniquet or traction splinting) you'll demonstrate for your FTO with their partner. Basically by the last shift they should just spend all day chilling just watching you handle everything on your own as if they weren't there. While it's not exactly hard to pass, it does require competency and people have been fired for being unable to pass their FTO period.

Anyways, once you pass, you'll be cleared as an Attendant Only (A/O on eCore), you'll be assigned a shift (most likely a 12 hour shift, but may be a 24hr shift depending on openings), you can pick up OT on any non ALS unit (there's only 3 vs 60 something BLS units)....except you can't drive yet. You'll spend every shift (12 or 24hrs) as the attendant, so you can't pick up shifts with a buddy who's also an A/O....if two A/Os pick up the same shift they'll split them with a crew that's dual driver.

Depending on when they get around to scheduling it, typically 3-6 months, they'll do an EVOC day for A/Os where you sit in a classroom learning basic driver stuff and an afternoon on a come course. Pass that you'll need 3 shifts with an FTO (when I did mine they paired you back up with your original FTO, though that's not guaranteed, I had one partner do his with one of the Supervisors riding on our shift...basically your FTO either picks up OT on your shift amd/or you pick up OT on their shift, 3 12 hr days driving with the FTO riding shotgun (your partner attending the calls) and basically don't crash or get lost and you're now a cleared driver.
You go to an ER?

OP
OP
E

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member

Thanks, I appreciate your in depth explanation. I do have some questions. 1) for some of the skills you don’t use on actual calls on the skills sheet and have to demonstrate for your FTOs, do they fail you if let’s say you don’t get something right on demonstrating traction splinting? 2) for every call do your FTOs make you map out the call locations and destination hospitals?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks, I appreciate your in depth explanation. I do have some questions. 1) for some of the skills you don’t use on actual calls on the skills sheet and have to demonstrate for your FTOs, do they fail you if let’s say you don’t get something right on demonstrating traction splinting? 2) for every call do your FTOs make you map out the call locations and destination hospitals?
Those skills sheets are more "Properly apply splint" then step-by-step NREMT style. Basically, as long as you don't convince your FTO you're completely incompetent you'll be good. Chances are (especially due to the company trying to grow) if one FTO is wanting to fail you, they'll have a second FTO work a shift or two with you to give a second opinion. Remember they're not actively looking to fail people... Relax, they're not exactly looking for NREMT skill sheet passing, and more on can you actually apply the skill in the real world. You've already passed the skills in EMT school, and again in the new hire orientation...

And yes, you'll be expected to map to every call using only the Thomas Guide. Every call is dispatched with not only the street address, but the two cross streets, and the Thomas guide map page and grid. It can be a bit tricky at first at least until you get used to it.

Parameduck

Forum Crew Member
Are you paid for showing up a half hour early every shift or do they expect you to work for free?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you paid for showing up a half hour early every shift or do they expect you to work for free?
If you get and take an early call, yes you'll be clocked in at that time. Othwrwise you're just chilling at station, not expected to perform any other work until you're clocked in at 7.

Same thing if you're held over....if your relief is late or a no show, you can (likely will be) mandatorily held over up to 2 hours (up till 0900). If a call comes in at 0859, you're still expected to run it. True story, one day, both units at my station were halfcrew the shift relieving mine and It was my turn to holdover. Dispatch wasnt able to find a replacement so the plan was to consolidate the two half crews into one unit, and just be down a unit at the station for the day. Except they decided to make that happen at 9...so I was still holding over when a call comes in at 0855....I asked the guy from the other unit who had just started his shift (2 hrs in vs my 26 at that point) that since in 5 more minutes it'd be him and my partner on the call anyway, if he wanted to take it....he said "Nope, you're first up, you handle it" He had every right per company policy to do so, and similarly you have the right per policy to not walk into station until 0659 and clock in right at 0700 because you're not being paid otherwise.....but good luck making friends that way. It might be ok at a slower station, but if you're working a busy one where you've ran 3 calls past midnight you really want your relief in at 0630, and no one's gonna jump a call for you if you don't.

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
I was a senior FTO at mccormick for quite some time. Sarge hit the nail right on the head though with his info. Be aware that there’s a real mix in ftos nowadays. Some have been promoted with as little as 6 months experience. And some have years of experience as an EMT. Some will make sure you meet the bare minimum, and some will go out of their way to train you to function with finesse, and attention to detail.
Just make sure you know your stuff, be confident (even when you don’t feel confident), and shake everyone’s hand (when appropriate), and you’ll be fine.

PM me with direct questions.

MyNameIsRobert

Forum Ride Along
Yup I agree with ITBITB13 introduce yourself, I’m fairly new with McCormick too (2 months) and I shake hands with whoever I haven’t introduced myself to yet.
Goodluck and if you have any questions I’m also here. I don’t post much but I read most of the posts.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
AKA having a higher standard.
AKA selling a bunch of FF hopefuls on working for LACoFD and wearing custom station gear while working for some of the worst pay in the area, but hey it's cool right, you're running 911!? McCormick is okay for what it is, but really?

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
AKA selling a bunch of FF hopefuls on working for LACoFD and wearing custom station gear while working for some of the worst pay in the area, but hey it's cool right, you're running 911!? McCormick is okay for what it is, but really?

Well having worked for 2 of the bigger ambulance companies in the area with big 911 areas, I can say that mccormick does “sell” EMTs on working with/for LACoFD. It’s what companies do to bring people in. But with that being said, I’ve seen a considerably higher number of mccormick EMTs being picked up by different FDs than it’s rival.

There is nothing wrong with custom station gear. It’s a morale booster, and I don’t see a problem with having pride in your line of work.

Don’t get me started on the cluster **** that is SoCal EMS, and the worse cluster that is fire based EMS. It’s a loooong battle that we unfortunately aren’t going to win anytime soon.

So might as well make the best of it, and continue to work for something better.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
What i will say, is that after working for three different private companies in LA Co over the years (PRN....before they got bought out, Gerber...before they went out of business, then finally McCormick), only my time spent as a fire department Ambulance Operator (AO) was I working for anyone woth higher morale, better equipment/station life/etc etc.

Don't underestimate how nice it is to be able to have an actual station identity, St 2 The Brook is MY station, I'm gonna take care of it...not just because station chores are a chore you gotta do, but because it's MY station and crews take pride in that, and yeah that reflects when crews get together and design station patches and logos and the like. If that's just an extraneous detail to yoy...so be it, you can always stick with day cars that don't have a set station (and no one is forcing you to wear a station patch if you don't want one)

Yeah it's important sometimes to remember we're only BLS transport, that theres lots of days where we only end up doing glorified IFTs amd take a bunch of people to the ER that we suspect dont need the ER....but that's not the same as hating on the job and saying we shouldn't enjoy it or try to emulate the Departments that lets face it, most EMTs want to use McCormick as a step stair to join. Enjoy the grunt work, even being a FF is full of that (besides 80% of FDs calls being medical, 80% of the remainder is "just" "smells and bells")

At least within LA, despite the low pay, McCormick is still prob the best private. At least with the low pay you know the remainder isn't funding the owners next Land Rover, instead ots going to a brand new fleet (literally McCormick is buying brand new ambulances for every unit, something 60 new rigs....amd most of them are already in Service, no 1 new rig a year there....oh and each one is coming with both Power Load and Power Cot systems

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
St 2 The Brook is MY station, I'm gonna take care of it...not just because station chores are a chore you gotta do, but because it's MY station and crews take pride in that, and yeah that reflects when crews get together

Don’t lie, we all know you never cleaned..

Haha, just kidding

At least within LA, despite the low pay, McCormick is still prob the best private. At least with the low pay you know the remainder isn't funding the owners next Land Rover,

It doesn’t fund his Land Rover, it funds his fully decked out, brand new police edition Ford Explorer.hahaha