McCormick FTO

wtferick

Forum Captain
How many units are in Torrance? Heard Gerber had around 15 in total?

OP
OP
E

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
According to McCormick’s Instagram page, station 4 does exist and judging by the background building, is on highland

Attachments

• BDD047CD-2B40-4489-9F53-A0EB81340285.jpeg
    BDD047CD-2B40-4489-9F53-A0EB81340285.jpeg
    758.6 KB · Views: 344

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
According to McCormick’s Instagram page, station 4 does exist and judging by the background building, is on highland
750 N. Highland (about a block north of Melrose/Highland).

I guess there was an old St 4 right near there that got closed down for a few months (they were running 12 hr day cars out of the Hawthorne and Calabassas stations for West Hollywood when I started) then they opened the new Station 4 (I've heard might be in the same building complex as the old one? I'm not sure exactly) and they prob just never updated the Instagram (I don't have one lol).

And apparently they've added (or at least looking at adding) a new station nearby to support both We Ho and Santa Monica (I guess in addition to the new SM station?)
Yup they are also coming out with station 22. 341 and m51 will deploy out of there and 341 will be turned into 2201 soon after.

west side of WeHo to support Santa Monica as Well?

(I heard they opened a new Santa Monica station 21 with 6 units for SMFD...love that code 2 only response requiring as many rigs there as the whole Malibu battalion lol)

It’s a weird location, station 22 will be off of Washington and South LaBrea.
Yup 6 units lol. They had to expedite an evoc class just to get enough people in there in time. I’m an A/O still and people hired after me went into evoc before me to fill spots there. I’m ok with it though my partner and I never get split so it’s all good. Torrance Day Car Life is good for me.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
How many units are in Torrance? Heard Gerber had around 15 in total?
7-8 24 hr units at stations mostly surrounding Torrance with like a dozen or so 12 hr "day cars" with no set station that rotate thru street corner posts in Torrance that are on rotating schedules (I think an average of 6 on at any given time? Someone who has access to the current schedule can correct me lol)

St 6 in Torrance with 3 units: 601, 602, and RA503
St 12 in Gardena with 3 units: 1201, 1202, and 1212 (12hr day car)(one is dedicated for Torrance but both end up covering)
St 13 on the border of Torrance (NW corner) and Redondo Beach also with 3 units: 1301, 1302, 1303, covers both cities
St 16 in Lomita has 2 units (1601 and 1602) and gets pulled in to cover Torrance often enough (they they're primarily a County station)
Of course when Torrance is busy enough to tap all of those units McCormick won't hesitate to pull in outlying units (when I was at St 2 in Willowbrook we occasionally had to go post into Torrance. Not as often as moving up to cover Inglewood or Hawthorne though)

OP
OP
E

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
7-8 24 hr units at stations mostly surrounding Torrance with like a dozen or so 12 hr "day cars" with no set station that rotate thru street corner posts in Torrance that are on rotating schedules (I think an average of 6 on at any given time? Someone who has access to the current schedule can correct me lol)

St 12 in Gardena with 3 units: 1201, 1202, and 1212 (12hr day car)(one is dedicated for Torrance but both end up covering)
St 13 on the border of Torrance (NW corner) and Redondo Beach also with 3 units: 1301, 1302, 1303, covers both cities
St 16 in Lomita has 2 units (1601 and 1602) and gets pulled in to cover Torrance often enough (they they're primarily a County station)
Of course when Torrance is busy enough to tap all of those units McCormick won't hesitate to pull in outlying units (when I was at St 2 in Willowbrook we occasionally had to go post into Torrance. Not as often as moving up to cover Inglewood or Hawthorne though)
Just heard from my partner that McCormick got rid of the map testing process as well as the dummy drag. Don’t know why though

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah really.....what, they finally cave and add GPS to the new rigs? I used Google Maps plenty lol but there were still lots times where knowing the basics of reading the Thomas Guide kept me pointed in the right direction when that got confused with similar addresses or otherwise technical failure so hopefully they're still teaching/practicing Thomas Guides if not testing....
I can see how that can apply to mapping but dummy drag? I’d think that’s a basic physical competency for EMS
Yeah really...plenty of times County used us to GS carry patients

OP
OP
E

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
Got offered conditional employment with McCormick and I have to go back to take their physical agility test next week. For anyone who’s recently gone through it, what’s exactly on the physical agility test?

Last edited:

MyNameIsRobert

Forum Ride Along

1212 is gone as of a few months ago. RIP lol.
Torrance days cars are 161,162,163,164, Night cars are 166 and 167. Usually only 161(my shift) is staffed regularly. Night cars are always staffed. Other Torrance day cars are hardly staffed and always able to be picked up for OT. Most people who are on day cars usually leave right away and go to a station. I stay because it works perfect with my school schedule. I litterally go to work and study for my classes while getting paid; it still blows my mind every time I think about it haha.

Got offered conditional employment with McCormick and I have to go back to take their physical agility test next week. For anyone who’s recently gone through it, what’s exactly on the physical agility test?

Went to HQ today for some stuff, saw some applicants. They were doing the dummy drag test still, as of today. My buddy who just interviewed recently said it also consisted of a 50 question test (I think mine was 30). I didn’t ask about the Thomas guide test if they were still doing it or not. Just saw how late/old your post was, hope you passed!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
1212 is gone as of a few months ago. RIP lol.
Wait, what?? Unless they reassigned them to a new shift number to be a Compton day car, the last thing McCormick should be doing is cutting units in that area. My last 6 months were when we added the Compton contract and didn't add dedicated Compton units, so us at St 2 that were already busy w/ Co 41 and 95s got hit hard, St11 in Paramount and the new 14 for extra Lynwood coverage were great, and helped, but we were still very definitely slammed all the time after adding Compton (Lots of regular Rosecrans/Long Beach posting meaning you were the only unit covering all of Compton, Willowbrook, Paramount, and Lynwood stations...amd would still catch some Carson calls...(17s def needs at least a third unit, maybe a night car for when 1711 is off...) but from what I can tell, all the other expansion has been Santa Monica/WeHo areas...)