Mccormick Ambulance

mike1390

Forum Captain
McCormick has more paramedics working as EMTs than they do actually working as medics. They make their medic jump through so many hoops just to do IFTs its silly. Thats why most the people who are medic wont work the ALS shift or bother to be a McCormick medic, and its a 1$ more an hr raise.

911paramedic

Forum Probie
Wow!

McCormick has more paramedics working as EMTs than they do actually working as medics. They make their medic jump through so many hoops just to do IFTs its silly. Thats why most the people who are medic wont work the ALS shift or bother to be a McCormick medic, and its a 1$ more an hr raise.

I know the guy that runs the Paramedic program very well. Let me shed some light on the above statements.

McCormick Ambulance has 17 full time Paramedics and a hand full of part time Paramedics. There are nowhere near that many working as EMT's especially if you count the guys who are working as EMT's and just waiting for a EMTP spot to open.

If by hoops you mean follow the rules, operate at a level that exceeds the EMT in both standards, appearance and accountability, assist at their own discretion with marketing, Keep a clean and always locked ambulance, perform station drills at least once a month, act as Paramedic coordinator, and assist with the hiring process interviews and skills, then you are absolutely correct. If you think that this is silly, then you will be an EMT for the rest of your life. Those Paramedics are being prepped in the most effective way for a future in the Fire Service. Be sure to tell your FD interview board that you think those "Hoops" are silly.

You are correct- Its $1 more an hour. What you failed to mention is that those Paramedics are getting a $20 bonus for EVERY IFT they run. So now you have added an additional $11 / hr to your base rate just for running an IFT and working as a Paramedic.

You also made no mention of the first-in ALS work they do when the beach cities run out of Paramedics and the special events like the raves where LA City lets them operate as ALS. Also no mention of the Hawthorne PD SWAT training just around the corner.

McCormick Paramedic are far from being just IFT Paramedics.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I didn't realize that LACounty had paramedics anyways. I thought they were just glorified EMTs with a radio that contacts medical control to make their decision anyways.

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
But that's taking a big pay cut, don't you think? Ift starts you at $20/hr. And I don't see how does earning a position as HR assistant to help in the hiring process gives you any advantage to get into LA fire? I've also worked a few events through my company in the past. Even Gerber medics get better pay. However, if you feel that Mccormick is giving you great experience, and its an advantage, more power to you.

terrible one

Always wandering
I think you are being a little generous. In my few years at McCormick we 'backed up' the beach cities one time. I also wouldn't brag about working as a medic in such a confined system as LA county either regardless if it is IFT or 911.

Death_By_Sexy

Forum Crew Member
Obviously you work for McCormick and therefore have some pride in your job, which is fine. However, quit kidding yourself about being more than IFT medics. It's LA county dude, you are the fire department's :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

"Backing" up Malibu happens how often? Once a year maybe? That area is slow as molasses, they don't run out of squads often.

I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, but only someone who has been there and done it first hand. I worked for LACo. AMR for a few years and did my medic internship with LACOFD. I saw how poorly McCormick (and all private ambulance) guys get treated on 911 calls. Most of the dudes I ran calls with were Medics who surprise surprise, worked as EMTs. Nice guys, and I felt very sympathetic for their situation. There are too many medics these days, and a job is a job, but still. Lets call it like it is, LA county craphole.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Oklahoma...