Mccormick Ambulance

Seriously, how do you get an interview at this place let alone a job? Over the past few months, I have visited their website numerous times and it says that they are not hiring EMTs yet I know of 4 people that have been hired there.

I am currently in Paramedic school with a class average of 98% and would like to get some 911 experience before field internship. It's very discouraging to see EMTs that work for Mccormick at an E.R. while I'm taking part in the Renal Rodeo.

If anyone knows what the deal is with this place, it would be greatly appreciated.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
When all else fails, put on a suit and knock on some doors.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I just might have to.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
INGLEWOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!1111

You could hang out at Centinela for a day/night, hit em up when they roll in, get the scoop.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Seriously, how do you get an interview at this place let alone a job? Over the past few months, I have visited their website numerous times and it says that they are not hiring EMTs yet I know of 4 people that have been hired there.

I am currently in Paramedic school with a class average of 98% and would like to get some 911 experience before field internship. It's very discouraging to see EMTs that work for Mccormick at an E.R. while I'm taking part in the Renal Rodeo.

If anyone knows what the deal is with this place, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Why McCormick, not that it's not a good company, my FD partner works in Inglewood for them, but do you really think being a gurney jockey for LACoFD is going to help you? My last intern had all BLS experience, and he did fine.

2. I'll ask him the best way to apply.

3. What about AMR in the IE, 1 and 1 with a medic, where you might actually get assessments and other stuff, if you're partner trusts you and knows you're in medic school.

4. Good job in medic school, but take it from me, classroom averages mean diddly when you hit field.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Of all the 911 companies in LA county, Mccormick sounds like the best.
In terms of field experience, it's peace of mind for me. I would feel more comfortable with some ALS experience as opposed to Dialysis constantly.

Also, I've applied to over 6 Socal AMR divisions and taken/passed the EMT test within the last few months. No call backs as of yet. I'm not throwing all my eggs into that basket because I have heard that when it comes to training, AMR does not work with your school schedule.

terrible one

Always wandering

sounds like an oxymoron.

you do realize how ***-backwards EMS is in LAco? The chances of you gaining some valuable information for a field internship in the next couple of months is slim to none. If you are that desperate do some ride-a-longs with high call volume companies and ask a lot of questions. And if you think the job situation is bad as an EMT for a 911 company wait til you are done with medic school. atleast EMTs are transient, if FDs aren't hiring private medics usually don't move as much.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I realize this. I just feel it's better than picking up ambulatory patients for dialysis. C'mon man, you don't think getting to put on some pressure dressing over a wound is better than weighing the gurney constantly?

terrible one

Always wandering
Skills are taught in the didactic portion, learned in clinicals, and refined in your internship. During your clinicals don't wait for someone to tell you to do something, take the initiative and do them. Again I highly doubt you're going to learn much in LAco in a relatively short time.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In terms of field experience, it's peace of mind for me. I would feel more comfortable with some ALS experience as opposed to Dialysis constantly.

Also, I've applied to over 6 Socal AMR divisions and taken/passed the EMT test within the last few months. No call backs as of yet. I'm not throwing all my eggs into that basket because I have heard that when it comes to training, AMR does not work with your school schedule.

For my division we actually will work around school schedules. If your full time you just have to find someone to do a perminate shift trade with you. If your part time, well you only have to work 3 days a month (whatever days you want).

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
For my division we actually will work around school schedules. If your full time you just have to find someone to do a perminate shift trade with you. If your part time, well you only have to work 3 days a month (whatever days you want).

What about working with my school schedule during orientation?

mike1390

Forum Captain
You are asking for too much before you even have a job that hundreds if not thousands of people are in line for. As for experience I'm on the other side of the fence I think being in the back with a medic during transport is more helpful than being a 1&1 taxi driver. Just don't think that LaCo FD medics are the paragods they make themselves out to be.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
I applied to this place twice since the beginning of the year. Last month I emailed one of the guys down there to see what the status of my application was etc.

He called me the next day and left me a voice mail saying they arent hiring at this moment and to keep checking back on the website. He also mentioned that they have a very low turn over rate. He told me to be patient and to just keep checking back from time to time. He told me once they open up they will call in the order of which apps were submitted and you would be called to do a written, skills, and panel interview.

Thats it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What about working with my school schedule during orientation?

That's the only issue. The 2 week orientation and field training time are the only problems.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
That's why I'm shooting for Mccormick. The only other possibility would be to hold out for AMR until after my didactic in 6 months, but the chances are pretty slim.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
That's the only issue. The 2 week orientation and field training time are the only problems.

If your classes are on one half of the week only (m/2 or th/fri (and certain times on wed) you can probably get schedule for the FTO days that you're gonna be working. But it's full time.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
My classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays. Full time isn't really an issue with me. A lack of social life/Gf make that possible.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
1. Why McCormick, not that it's not a good company, my FD partner works in Inglewood for them, but do you really think being a gurney jockey for LACoFD is going to help you? My last intern had all BLS experience, and he did fine.

2. I'll ask him the best way to apply.

3. What about AMR in the IE, 1 and 1 with a medic, where you might actually get assessments and other stuff, if you're partner trusts you and knows you're in medic school.

4. Good job in medic school, but take it from me, classroom averages mean diddly when you hit field.

While I don't think the middle of medic school is the best time to start a new company, working for one of the busier 911 companies in LA would definitely help you out in internship by introducing you to working in active scenes (especially if you work a high call volume area).

Depending on how much the medic school prepares you, a lot of students with IFT-only experience don't do as well during internship. They haven't had to cut through BS to get to the true chief complaint or having to work in a chaotic shooting scene or even had to multi-task or have a sense of what comes next on the different types of calls.

I actually do wonder what the correlation is between being good in classroom and good in the field. I DO think there's a positive correlation, despite there being many many exceptions.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
It's a part-time program. I'm sure starting a new company wouldn't be as bad as doing so during a full-time class.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
It's a part-time program. I'm sure starting a new company wouldn't be as bad as doing so during a full-time class.

Of course it wouldn't.

There are a lot of factors.
What if they don't have opens shifts with Tue/Thu off?
What if they need you to work nights (and thus can't get to class in time)?
What if they need you at orientation/training on specific days?
What if you need more study time?
What do you tell them when they ask what you're doing with your time right now? They'll know you're likely to have scheduling conflicts when it comes to internship time.

Having said all that, don't let us dissuade you. It would definitely be valuable experience if you can do it.