McCormick Ambulance Interview Prep

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I have an interview for McCormick ambulance tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I know there's gonna be a written test, dummy drag, and skills assessment. However, I was just wondering if anyone had any major tips! What to brush up on or how to really win them over. Thanks in advance for any help!
Did you already do the Written and Mapping test? When I did mine last year (and I mean last Dec lol) you did the Written and Mapping one day, then if you passed they scheduled you to come in another day for the follow on Pt Assessment Test and Interview. Written test is basic NREMT stuff, know your Thomas Guide and how to use it, Pt assessment is straight up NREMT check box just like your EMT school skills day (you obviously passed that so as long as you didn't brain dump it all you should be able to pass it again), be fit enough to drag the dummy around, and the Interview is basic stuff. No real special nuggets of wisdom I can provide that already aren't floating around on the interwebs if you do a Google search for job interview tips.

I'm pretty sure we're hiring right now anyway as there's a bunch of open shifts that need filled (partially due to gaining some new response areas) so pretty much just don't be an unlikeable knucklehead lol

And yeah, all the advice posted in this thread specifically about having some thick skin? You will 100% need that out in the field.

Case and point, McCormick's last (current?) paramedic coordinator is an ex-Hall guy; a solid dude and was an excellent supe FWIW.
No kidding? I did not know that (the Hall part at least, haven't really worked with him on the other stuff but if I complete this 1-and-1 training (all I need now is my LA City DOT cert) and start working ALS shifts I'll prob run into him more often)

OP
OP
med12

med12

Forum Probie
To the OP, you have to come up with some more insightful reasonings why you're wanting to become a paramedic not just to me, but to many others, including any potential FD's that may offer sponsorship.

Let's say you work for an non-transporting FD as an ALS paramedic and hand off to the ambulance paramedics. You don't want to be that Richard treating them less than because you so happen to be in a firehouse filled with knuckle dragging "medics" who may wish to engrain this culture in their probies; it's very much a sad reality. We kid a lot on here, but "Gotz" had an excellent post from a thread in which he remarked how the smart paramedics had to learn to "play the game" with firehouse culture. I can tell you now fire-based EMS is way different from single-role EMS. With single-roles that's literally all that they do day and night...these people deserve respect, pensions or not!

Look man, I too once wanted to be a nozzle, then things changed for me. You have to earn respect in life, and even on this forum. As @Chimpie has on his siggie "think before you post" because whether intentional or not, you might leave a bad taste in the mouths of many of your peers on this forum and while you may say or think "big whoop", this industry is A LOT smaller than one could imagine. Case and point, McCormick's last (current?) paramedic coordinator is an ex-Hall guy; a solid dude and was an excellent supe FWIW.

If you feel what I am saying then you can respect I have been doing this since you were probably in grade school and don't care all that much what you think, but did just take the time to try and impart some pearls I have picked up over a few years; food for thought, take it however you want.
No i totally understand where you're coming from. I didn't mean to rub you the wrong way or make it seem like all I want to be is a smoke eater because lets face it 90% of being a fireman is running EMS calls. My apologies if i did offend you or anything that wasn't my intention or even make it seem like i was looking for some sure fire way to get hired. As I said @gotshirtz001 I should've approached it better asking questions from better angles rather than just scratching the surface. I did get a job offer from McCormick today and I have one from AMR out in Riverside too. Do you think working with a medic would better prepare me for paramedic school? Or do you think having 911 experience anywhere is a good idea?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
No i totally understand where you're coming from. I didn't mean to rub you the wrong way or make it seem like all I want to be is a smoke eater because lets face it 90% of being a fireman is running EMS calls. My apologies if i did offend you or anything that wasn't my intention or even make it seem like i was looking for some sure fire way to get hired. As I said @gotshirtz001 I should've approached it better asking questions from better angles rather than just scratching the surface. I did get a job offer from McCormick today and I have one from AMR out in Riverside too. Do you think working with a medic would better prepare me for paramedic school? Or do you think having 911 experience anywhere is a good idea?
Live and learn, no hard feelings, bud.

And to your questions yes, and yes. I came from LA County as a tech prior to becoming a paramedic. Most 911 exposure is sufficient regardless of the county. Most of what a paramedic does is (basic) fundamentals in order to decide whether a further (advanced) assessment or treatment tree is required, BOL.

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
Did you already do the Written and Mapping test? When I did mine last year (and I mean last Dec lol) you did the Written and Mapping one day, then if you passed they scheduled you to come in another day for the follow on Pt Assessment Test and Interview. Written test is basic NREMT stuff, know your Thomas Guide and how to use it, Pt assessment is straight up NREMT check box just like your EMT school skills day (you obviously passed that so as long as you didn't brain dump it all you should be able to pass it again), be fit enough to drag the dummy around, and the Interview is basic stuff. No real special nuggets of wisdom I can provide that already aren't floating around on the interwebs if you do a Google search for job interview tips.

I'm pretty sure we're hiring right now anyway as there's a bunch of open shifts that need filled (partially due to gaining some new response areas) so pretty much just don't be an unlikeable knucklehead lol

And yeah, all the advice posted in this thread specifically about having some thick skin? You will 100% need that out in the field.

No kidding? I did not know that (the Hall part at least, haven't really worked with him on the other stuff but if I complete this 1-and-1 training (all I need now is my LA City DOT cert) and start working ALS shifts I'll prob run into him more often)
How can I study for the mapping test?

USHmedic

Forum Probie
How can I study for the mapping test?
If you've never read a Thomas guide or have no clue what it is? Look it up on youtube. The test consist of a given address and your ability to locate its page, grid location, directions to and between addresses given on the test. Hope that helps?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If you've never read a Thomas guide or have no clue what it is? Look it up on youtube.
A sign of the times:(. I remember my mom making me learn how to read one and read off the directions to her.