Matthew Deployment

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
These are the bridges in FL we have to cross to get to the barrier islands. One of these exists every few miles. Also the flat road areas are at water level during normal conditions...during a storm they are being washed over.

View attachment 3053
I lived a lot of my life in the desert. Long stretches of nothing with minimal cell service, no shoulders, brown out conditions. And now I live on a large barrier island and have to cross a causeway to get on or off the island. No exits, higher up off the water with higher wind, no alternate routes, and if you go off the side you have more to worry about than rolling over.
I'll take desert over it. But still, the lower sustained wind speed allowed during response just make me shrug.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Sorry. Most of Hilton Head and bluffton won't have power for several days (or weeks).

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Sorry. Most of Hilton Head and bluffton won't have power for several days (or weeks).
Is there a fema radio station down there? or are you guys still covering it on yours?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Las Vegas sent a couple people.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
As in 20.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
What's with all the excitement about deploying and working a storm? It's a pain in the ***! Did my share on the coast including Katrina. I'll pass.

Fwiw we came off the road at 50mph sustained winds and FD quit going at 60mph. Exceptions were made depending on the nature of call though and the Sheriffs dept had heavy vehicles we could respond in if needed.

NomadicMedic

A week later and we're getting back to normal here. Still people without power and such. My house was unscathed. Had no power for 4 days. It just reiterated my need for a generator.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What's with all the excitement about deploying and working a storm? It's a pain in the ***! Did my share on the coast including Katrina. I'll pass.
While it is a pain, I find it nice to be in different areas and get to meet and talk to people from all over the nation on the team. It's interesting to see how things vary by location.

Also not going to lie, the paycheck is amazing

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
A week later and we're getting back to normal here. Still people without power and such. My house was unscathed. Had no power for 4 days. It just reiterated my need for a generator.

5kw running watt Generator and a window AC unit is a must for hurricane prone areas. Along with enough gas to last 3-4 days. That's a big enough gen to run lights, tv, fridge, freezer, and an AC.

The 2 times we outside people come in to help it was a mess. They tried to take over and tell us what to do because they were the "FEMA sent help". Screw you guys. It's our area we know how to take care of it. We were so happy to see them leave.

NomadicMedic

Yep. I'm actually buying a 8kw generator that runs on Propane. You can buy some grill tanks and keep 'em in the garage indefinitely. I'm going to Have my electrician friend install the "commercial or gen set" switch in the breaker and set it up to run all the essential stuff.

If I had a hot shower and a freezer that worked, I'd have been in a much better mood.