Matthew Deployment

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone on standby yet? I haven't heard anything, but I never even got my FEMA badges so who knows. I'm active in our interal ERT list on the portal.

Looks like it's going to be a bad one.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
AMR OEM is in talks right now about if they are going to activate or not. Several areas have put their teams on standby or told them "is you have any loose ends to wrap them up".

I'm not on the federal team this month so the only way I will go is if a member on the team is unable to go or AMR sends a second wave of people. I'm on the state team this month

phideux

Forum Captain
I'm on duty all weekend on the SC coast.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I know our team called around to give dates of a potential deployment but that's it.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I ran! :)

Flew out of Orlando yesterday morning and am now chilling in beautiful Maine....guess I will return and assess the damage on my properties soon enough, until then...that Matt boy is a Wicked Pissah!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Does AMR pay a higher wage for these kinds of deployments?
Just curious.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just curious.
When i deployed for isaac, it was 20/hr for medics, and ot after 40 hours. Oh, and we were paid 24 hours a day while deployed.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Way back in the day (2005) I deployed for both Katrina and Rita...I was $25 an hour, OT after 40 and essentially worked 24/7 for weeks on end. Damn near killed myself but I made over 20K in 60 days which was a huge chunk of change. Good times however I am unsure if I would ever do it again....

FEMA money is King!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
When i deployed for isaac, it was 20/hr for medics, and ot after 40 hours. Oh, and we were paid 24 hours a day while deployed.

Way back in the day (2005) I deployed for both Katrina and Rita...I was $25 an hour, OT after 40 and essentially worked 24/7 for weeks on end. Damn near killed myself but I made over 20K in 60 days which was a huge chunk of change. Good times however I am unsure if I would ever do it again....

FEMA money is King!

Wow, yeah, that's pretty impressive.

Their reimbursement for ambulance is fairly high, too
, $32.50/hr for up to 150hp engine and $41.50/hr up to 210hp.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm sitting in Savannah, just waiting for the storm...
Looks like it shouldn't be so bad by the time it hits? Winds of ~40mph, maximum?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Just curious.
To be clear, there is a distinction to be made.
AMR doesn't pay you for your labor. FEMA pays for your labor.
And FEMA sets the hourly rates, I do believe it's low to mid 20's for paramedics at this time.

We've been told to have **** ready, but there is no official stand by or activation at this point.

If called, I'm in.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
To be clear, there is a distinction to be made.
AMR doesn't pay you for your labor. FEMA pays for your labor.
And FEMA sets the hourly rates, I do believe it's low to mid 20's for paramedics at this time.

We've been told to have **** ready, but there is no official stand by or activation at this point.

If called, I'm in.

Gotcha. I didn't realize FEMA set the rates, I would have assumed they contract AMR, which, presumably, had been selected after an RFP.
I'm going to look for those FEMA rates...very curious!

Also, is it just me, or do people have a really unrealistic expectation of survival rates from cardiac arrest? I just saw this gem related to the storm: "Hurricane Matthew continued to lash Florida with 120 mph winds Friday morning as it hugged the Atlantic coast and claimed its first US storm-related fatality – a woman who suffered cardiac arrest and could not be reached by first-responders whose operations had been suspended. [underlining is mine]".

That is only tangentially a storm-related death, in my book...

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Gotcha. I didn't realize FEMA set the rates, I would have assumed they contract AMR, which, presumably, had been selected after an RFP.
I'm going to look for those FEMA rates...very curious!

Also, is it just me, or do people have a really unrealistic expectation of survival rates from cardiac arrest? I just saw this gem related to the storm: "Hurricane Matthew continued to lash Florida with 120 mph winds Friday morning as it hugged the Atlantic coast and claimed its first US storm-related fatality – a woman who suffered cardiac arrest and could not be reached by first-responders whose operations had been suspended. [underlining is mine]".

That is only tangentially a storm-related death, in my book...

SCA call a few years back: 55y/o M, just dx w/ lung CA w/ extensive mets the week before. No advance directed or DNR in place as yet. Ask family about his wishes. "Only if he'll be okay. He wouldn't want to be a vegetable."

Ummm.... Wasn't too sure how to address that one at first. Started some compressions while my colleague managed family expectations and got an early order to cease.

[/offtopic]

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
AMR Springs is apparently deploying.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Looks like it shouldn't be so bad by the time it hits? Winds of ~40mph, maximum?

Nope. Scattered tornados. Flash floods. 10"+ of rain, 5-9 foot storm surge. High tide is in a few hours, just as the main thrust of the storm hits. Huge power outages.This is a legit mess.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The storm surge and the rain are probably the biggest problems. If we get an indirect hit here in Galveston, the wind will not be the worst thing.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Do you think National Guard will be activated @DEmedic? Supposed to drive my mom down there(Hilton Head) on Sunday actually.