Maryland/Delaware EMS ?!

EMSANTHEM

Forum Crew Member
I'm currently up in CT, but have buddies that live down in northern & southern delaware & also in MD (Moved Out of CT!) So i'm wondering once i get out of paramedic school how the pay rates & EMS operates down there as for paramedics?

Thanks EMSANTHEM

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Maryland is a bit odd, what with volunteer paramedics and those wacky protocols... people who live and work there love it, I'm told.

Delaware is very simple. All ALS is provided by a county service. Three counties; New Castle, Kent and Sussex. There is no other 911 paramedic service in the state. All paramedics are single role, in fly cars. Money is decent. Cost of living is low. Protocols are fairly progressive for the east coast.

If you're interested in Southern Delawre, PM me your specific questions... Or post them here and if I can answer them in a public forum, I will.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MD is interesting. Depends on where you go, the system can be very different. There are some places where EMS is single or dual role volunteers, or paid by each firehouse. Some counties have ALS chase cars on top of that. Some counties run a county-wide combination system with single or dual role staff.

Other option, if you're talking northern DE, is PA. PA'S hit or miss for medics as well, lots of politics, too.

PA and DE are automatic reciprocity w/ NR. MD is special. Very special.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Just a little more info to add to what Jon said

All 911 EMS in Maryland is run by the counties. The private EMS in MD handle all the IFT. Most of the counties are combination FF/PM departments. They go through the standard FD hiring process. The exceptions to this are a few counties that have single roll EMS (mostly on the eastern shore). Some will utilize vollys, while some are paid.

Reciprocity for MD is a mess. You need an affiliation to be able to take the MD state protocol test. The private companies will not hiring you without a Maryland license. The volly and career fire departments will, however the process for Paramedic is a long road. Your best bet is to get in on one of the FD hiring cycles. Having your NREMT-P will help a lot. Most departments are working toward 100% ALS. In the mean time you can look at volunteering with one of the big departments (Prince Georges, Anne Arundel, Montgomery County, Howard County), they may be able to help you with reciprocity, although I'm not sure if you're able to be a volunteer medic with them. When I left PG the volly medic program was still in its infancy.

OP
OP
EMSANTHEM

EMSANTHEM

Forum Crew Member
Thank you so much for the tips.

So it looks like summarizing here DE is alot easier to get into than MD, sounds like a grind & PA is somewhere in between alright fair.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I wouldn't say it's easier, but the reciprocity is straight forward from what I understand. n7xli know's the system well and can explain it better. I would also look at Virginia if you're interested in going fire as well. Fairfax is a top notch system with great benefits and schedule.

OP
OP
EMSANTHEM

EMSANTHEM

Forum Crew Member
Thanks & thats the thing i look at EMS as a medical ladder, not so much a fire ladder if that makes sense. I'm not a FF, I'm more interested in progressive medically Ex. ( EMT to Paramedic to Flight/CC)

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Based on the states you listed, and it appears that flight is your end goal, I would urge you to also look at IFT/Critical Care Transport. You will also need some decent field background but on the East Coast, more specifically MD, DE, DC the flight services are focused on IFT and the Critical Care time is whats gonna land you the job vs. just a field medic background. Traditionally you will also make more $$ if you found a good transport gig. Fire based would be good if you like to eat Mac and Cheese everynight for dinner but are interested in the pension but it sounds like your more medically driven. MD and DE state police take care of scene flights, in DC and northern VA you can get a host of different vendors for scene calls.

With that being said, get your medic, have 3 to 5 years of 911 background, mix in some Critical Care Transport time, if you can instructor certs in ACLS, PALS, etc, and if you really wanna compete then take your FP-C. Most places its becoming the trend within a year of hire, some want it when you apply. Good-luck

Last edited by a moderator:

frdude1000

Forum Captain
If you have any further questions about Maryland EMS, especially the D.C. suburb counties (Montgomery and P.G.) let me know. Montgomery just had 2 recruit classes so probably no more for a few years.