Martial Arts

Epi-do

I see dead people
Just curious who all studies some sort of martial art. My son has been wanting to learn, so we researched places around us and found a place that we really liked that teaches taekwondo. During the "trial" classes, he wanted me to do one of the classes with him. He thought it was so cool, that he insisted I take classes with him. Now, mom is also learning TKD.

I started out doing it as a mom-son sort of thing, but am finding myself enjoying it more and more each time we go. We've only been at it a few weeks, and I love how much exercise I am getting. I think the lessons it teaches are wonderful, and you get to learn how to do all that cool looking stuff along with it!

So, who around here also enjoys some sort of martial arts?

scottyb

Forum Crew Member
I took an Okinawan form, Go Ju Ru. It s actually the same exact style portrayed in the Karate Kid Movies, but the crap they showed was a very commercialized view and did not do the form justice.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I used to practice Shorei-Ryu, another Okinawan form. Once I finish medic school and have the time and money I want to start Shotokon or Aikido

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Good on you, Epi! The martial arts are among the very best workouts to be had. Your endurance and flexibility will increase measurably each week. You'll feel better, sleep better, and eat better. Even if you don't learn a thing about self-defense, you still haven't wasted your time or money. Most martial arts schools charge less than an aerobics class, and have the same or more benefits.

Tae Kwon Do is an excellent all-round art, and particularly as a foundation for expansion into other arts. The strength of TKD is that it is very technically focused. Students are conditioned to react with body mechanics that emphasize form and style. You master individual techniques before moving on to put them together into free-form reactions, which is a very effective way of learning.

The discipline involved especially in TKD is great for kids, giving them a constructive outlet for all that energy, as well as an appreciation for the educational process when they see how fun and rewarding it can be. The positive effects this all has on their discipline and self-esteem is often quite noticeable. You've made a good move with this.

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
I've been doing Muay Thai ever since I was 11 and been doing it ever since.
I'm glad its getting a lot of fame and attention with Tony Jaa and few others.
I'm been thinking of taking Kendo at the moment

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I have a 3rd Degree in American Karate and hold I/C Guru in FMA Kali-Silat. I took Judo for about a year and currently do boxing/kick-boxing on Mondays and submission grappling on Wednesday nights.

I am the constant student. I don't care what it is......... I just enjoy training. I will tell you ..... the older I get the harder it is to keep up with the younger generation!

curt

Forum Crew Member
I'd love to take Sambo, but there's not too many places around here that teach it. An interesting alternative would be Hapkido, I suppose.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I studied with Dr. Tetsuya Higuchi for a few years, having not found another instructor like him, I haven't been able to keep much interest.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I think after my EMR training and I have some cash to spare I'll join a TDK class.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I studied Shotokhan for ten years and reached the 4th Kyu (purple belt, the one before the one before black belt) before I quit to play high school football. Considered going back last year, but I have no time anymore. Maybe once I'm done with medic school.

netters311

Forum Probie
I take Taekwon-Do. My dad is the instructor. He is a 7th degree black belt, so he is considered a Master. I really enjoy it. Its such a stress reliever!! I love kicking and punching those targets!! lol Its great for teaching kids discipline and respect. You should give a try for sure!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
escrima is an excellent art

I studied TKD and BJJ.

I would love to study aikido.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I've spent years in a very traditional style of TKD, a few less years in a very "progressive" style of TKD, learned some escrima, kali, and a couple of others. I started, like you epi, because of a kid, in this case, my grand-daughter. Since moving to the southwest 6 months ago, I haven't found an instructor yet, but it is on my list. I cannot tell you how beneficial it has been for me. At 51, I gotta keep up with the kids both at the dojang and on the job. I hope to keep doing it till they drag me out in a box. Good for you!

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
I just got back from an Armis seminar and had a blast. It is definately something I think I may be interested in doing more of in the future (and I got to beat up on my husband for a little while at the same time!)

Everyone in the class received their own set of sticks, so I can keep practicing what I have learned today. Now to go and shower for an honor guard detail for work...

motownems

Forum Probie
My father and I practice Judo. He is a shodan, I am not even close. But its a nice activity to do with my old man.

pnkime18

Forum Ride Along
i used to do TKD, until I found out in 2nd grade that it was just for looks cause I got the crap beat out of me. then i started to look into martial arts in asia. yeah i moved to korea and lived with my aunt and uncles, i studied KSW and HRD/TSD. it worked, because i started fights on purpose to see if it did or not...i was a trouble maker.

then i came back to america and got the crap beat out of me from a college football player. i was only 17 and i guess i deserved it because i threw a steak in his face. so started Krav Maga, jujitsu, hapkido and akido, and i still do it. except for when i'm deployed to Iraq, like right now. but yeah i haven't lost a fight yet. oh yeah...and the football player is now my best friend. we're in the army together.

"mastering one fighting style is a big accomplishment, but taking in others will make you a warrior with your fist and knees, but also with wisdom."-my dad!

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
i used to do TKD, until I found out in 2nd grade that it was just for looks cause I got the crap beat out of me. then i started to look into martial arts in asia. yeah i moved to korea and lived with my aunt and uncles, i studied KSW and HRD/TSD. it worked, because i started fights on purpose to see if it did or not...i was a trouble maker.

then i came back to america and got the crap beat out of me from a college football player. i was only 17 and i guess i deserved it because i threw a steak in his face. so started Krav Maga, jujitsu, hapkido and akido, and i still do it. except for when i'm deployed to Iraq, like right now. but yeah i haven't lost a fight yet. oh yeah...and the football player is now my best friend. we're in the army together.

"mastering one fighting style is a big accomplishment, but taking in others will make you a warrior with your fist and knees, but also with wisdom."-my dad!

You got the crap beat out of ya?????? Who'd have seen that one coming.............

4 posts and 1 day has made your opinion of just about everything well known. Albeight slightly distorted, but well known.

So with that in mind, and my apologies to you Epi for going off topic, but I have to know,
pnkime18 why are you here and what do you hope to contribute other than your colorful view of our armed forces and its state of current condition?