Man Dies Outside of ER Entrance

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
ehh, a witnessed arrest, right out side the ER? would have been better than CPR while waiting 10 minutes for an ambulance.

One of the news reports I read said he was in the car for 20 minutes before anyone checked on him, so it may not have really been witnessed.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone had got an AED to use.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, CHF?

Ill feelings and caughing can be indications of an MI.

I guess what I found interesting, was the statements that this guy was having chest pain. I am not disputing the possible symtoms for the MI. Just think that it is interesting that the spokeswoman was saying that this pt was suffering from chest pain when the family said that he went in for coughing and feeling ill. But I guess we don't have the full story.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
When all is said and done, what are we all about? Can we honestly say that 'we' would not get involved if someone came to us and said that there was a person down, near where we were, that desperately needed help? Valuable help that we are all trained and dedicated to deliver? I find these sort of stories beyond belief. Are we all so sh** scared of getting sued that we are going to ignore our fellow man in their hour of need? I would like to know what type of world we are getting into.

Addendum: my wife just made a comment, think if it was a relative of yours in that position, would you still go and have your coffee, or jump into action and help?

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Can we honestly say that 'we' would not get involved if someone came to us and said that there was a person down, near where we were, that desperately needed help?
We????? this isn't about us... I can answer any all in the city that I work.... that's my job. but I also don't work in an ER, and my job description isn't limited to the ER.

I do know some agencies that won't treat and transport someone when outside their coverage area, because the AHJ has their own area. so if you are coming back from a hospital and see an MVA, they will call it in and wait. Me, I'm the *** who doesn't care, and would much rather do what is in the patient's best interest and deal with the political consequences afterwards.

but it's a much different game, with much different rules, when you are working on the street vs working in an ER. you can do A LOT more in the ER, but the area you can do A LOT in is much smaller. Plus some ER doctors (and to a lesser extent ER nurses) are useless outside the ER, because they don't have the tools and tests to run in a dark parking lot vs a brightly lit and well equipped ER.

InstaChain87

Forum Ride Along
I have been called to local hospitals multiple times during work. Most of the time security will bring the patient into the ER before we arrive but there have been time I actually had to transport from the parking lot to the ER....

Must be some sort of policy or liability on the hospitals part?