Making your job easier??

Hastings

Noobie
*Sigh* Okay, forget it. No more science fiction ideas from me (I just thought a portable X-Ray would be neat to design).

What could be made more portable that already exists? Nothing. Honestly. There isn't anything. And I've thought about it a lot.

snaketooth10k

Forum Crew Member
I would like to see a better alternative to the stair chairs, something that would actually roll down the stairs would be nice.

Making an automatic bp cuff or pulseox unit that will work on a bumpy ambulance ride would be incredible. make an EKG work better and you are a god.

Heres a great idea, put the spring lift back in the stretcher legs so one person can load it. Also try for an integrated stretcher/backboard.

design a basic friendly full airway adjunct like the LMA or Combitube.

DESIGN A MORE USER FRIENDLY AMBULANCE

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
c.
2. Cordless EKG..no more wiring harness flipping around.

Actually there is one. Unfortunately it is primarily sold in Germany, don't know why it has not hit not been publicized and hit the market in the U.S. yet.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
"how would it alter your treatment in the field"

thats simple: no more wasted transports. "i think i broke my arm". click click. wait for radiologist to read it. nope not broken. asa, ice, elevation. sign here. unit marks back in service. pt saves 3 grand and all is well in the world.

but thats advanced practice paramedic stuff. while some places are starting to do stuff like that, my scenario is light years away. sigh.....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually there is ultrasound units for prehospital. In some areas, they are blue toothed for a radiologist to determine with associated clinical symptoms & signs, if they have a "hot belly" such as a spleen, fractured liver, or a perf bowel. As well, if they are truly in EMS or do have contractions and one definitely check perfusion.

The prices has remarkably dropped as well. I met a Rep (former Paramedic, yes they are hiring medics as such) that described entire unit was < $25k (receiving and software, etc) really not out of reach for some EMS units.

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
I would like to see a better alternative to the stair chairs, something that would actually roll down the stairs would be nice.
Already been done!
Making an automatic bp cuff or pulseox unit that will work on a bumpy ambulance ride would be incredible. make an EKG work better and you are a god.

Heres a great idea, put the spring lift back in the stretcher legs so one person can load it.Power Stretchers? Also try for an integrated stretcher/backboard.Useless, how would you move them?

design a basic friendly full airway adjunct like the LMA or Combitube.King LT?

DESIGN A MORE USER FRIENDLY AMBULANCE

I see the future of EMS moving to more field treatment. That will bring more technology to the field.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
"how would it alter your treatment in the field"

thats simple: no more wasted transports. "i think i broke my arm". click click. wait for radiologist to read it. nope not broken. asa, ice, elevation. sign here. unit marks back in service. pt saves 3 grand and all is well in the world.

but thats advanced practice paramedic stuff. while some places are starting to do stuff like that, my scenario is light years away. sigh.....

So you are saying if its not a fracture, they don't need to be seen? Soft Tissue injuries and injuries to joints still need to be treated and diagnosed even if there isn't a fx. Twenty some years ago I ended up with 8 weeks of physical therapy on a shoulder injury that was ignored because nothing was broken.

IrishEMT

Forum Probie
We have a problem of stairwells that are too windy to easily move a pt using a stairchair, and too skinny for a reeves.

Much love if you can resolve this problem. Changing stairwells not an option.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I ROBOT (makes Roomba vacuums?) has 'bot that can do stairs.

You know that a strong limiting factor on what is done in the field will be how much control and risk will medical control cede to field units when it comes to remote diagnostics. Every xray report etc which comes back already has the caveat :"Must be correlated with a clinical examination".

And, again and again and again, what about folks with hours or even days of transit time? IDMT's? (Independent duty med tech's). Doctors in ambulances?

How about a device that allows you to extend out, then lower, the pt out a window on a litter without needing to destroy the window? Good for those supersized pts on ground floor back bedrooms too.

seshan

Forum Crew Member
there isnt an awful lot that we need that isnt already portable. you might, however, improve the design of a currently portable design.

some ideas:
stretcher
stairchair
suction
autopulse type devices
extrication equipment.

good luck

I got a good portable suction for you. Ohio Medicals Tote-L-Vac

Tote-L-Vac-TN.gif