MA EMT-B written test

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
aebensen--

consider giving your training academy a call, or the state OEMS. Double check the mailing address you included on your application, and on the paperwork on the day of your practical.
If you know your candidate ID number, consider trying to register for your written on the PSI website. Just create an account, and try to register using the number you were given before your practical.

Good Luck!

Dan

OP
OP
F

feldy

Forum Captain
officially passed my MA EMT-B practicals! Any suggestions on how to study for the written? i think im taking it in december when i go back to MA.

villanueva ma

Forum Ride Along
Mav emt-b

We were given the results of our practicle exam then and there. Any one who failed a portion of it, had to pay a $75.00 fee for every portion missed, for re-take. If they failed it again, they didn't pass. As for the written test, I found it to be easier than my school final. You have 2hrs. for 120 questions. My testing stopped at 80 questions and took me about 45min. If you feel that you did well, then you did! Review the CD in your text book and take the quizzes in it. Go in there with a positive attitude and you'll do well. I got my response in 2 days by e-mail. A week later I got my certs.

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
I just passed the MA "Written Exam" like the others said it was a computer test administered by PSIexams. My test was supposed to go 2 hours long, and was 100 questions. I had to answer all the questions and then end the exam. The actual test taking process is very simple and there is a computer tutorial at the beginning. I studied my *** off, and found the test to be average difficulty. You should study the assessment process carefully, and make sure you know all the vocab. Focus on studying the interventions in the textbook (Mine was Emergency Medical Care for the Sick and Injured by AAOS) and also make sure you know the major identifying signs of cardiovascular and neurological emergencies. The test is good at covering almost all of the textbook, so don't forget to read about operations. Good luck!

PS I went to the testing location in Charlestown, MA

MRE

Forum Captain
Congrats Maniac,

Did they issue a card on site? I went to a testing center in Springfield several years ago for mine and was issued a plastic card with my picture on it, which I have not seen anyone else with. When I got my recert card, it was the standard blue on white with no picture. Just wondering if there are still different cards around.

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
I just passed the MA "Written Exam" like the others said it was a computer test administered by PSIexams. My test was supposed to go 2 hours long, and was 100 questions. I had to answer all the questions and then end the exam. The actual test taking process is very simple and there is a computer tutorial at the beginning. I studied my *** off, and found the test to be average difficulty. You should study the assessment process carefully, and make sure you know all the vocab. Focus on studying the interventions in the textbook (Mine was Emergency Medical Care for the Sick and Injured by AAOS) and also make sure you know the major identifying signs of cardiovascular and neurological emergencies. The test is good at covering almost all of the textbook, so don't forget to read about operations. Good luck!

PS I went to the testing location in Charlestown, MA

Where in Charlestown did you take it at? Was it also where you took your training? Just curious.

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for this thread. Its really appreciative. I had said before that though I am a MA Resident, I am lookin at a Community College in South Portland Maine. They have a fire science program there and a Paramedicine. The only requirement to the Paramedicine program is the fact that they want you already to be a EMT-Basic and they want you to have 50 Documented Calls. I am curious if I should get my EMT-B at NSCC or Center For Medics or somewhere and get on an ambulance somewhere on the North Shore (Action or my town has a Call Fire Dept. and has a ambulance auxillary thats always open) and do that. I know Action offers Facility to Facility and transporting people when they need it and could be good to get experience doing that and then getting my Paramedicine in Maine. Could work perhaps.

As for the Fire Science, they have this program within it and it has a program where you could be able to live at a fire house in Portland and go on runs with them. I understand as well that they also have Fire Rescue unit ambulances in some of their stations. Could be worth lookin into more. I already looked at the school. Still thinking on it.

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
Yeah they were in the process of printing the card as I left the testing room. I was trained through the National College of Technical Instruction and the class was taught at the AMR base in Natick by AMR employees. The test was at 56 Roland St. in Charlestown. I also got a white OEMS card with my pic on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Congrats Maniac,

Did they issue a card on site? I went to a testing center in Springfield several years ago for mine and was issued a plastic card with my picture on it, which I have not seen anyone else with. When I got my recert card, it was the standard blue on white with no picture. Just wondering if there are still different cards around.

Yep. When I originally was certified in Massachusetts I got a white hard plastic certification card with my picture on it. However about a month before I left Massachusetts I lost my wallet. When OEMS sent me a replacement card, it was a paper blue on white card without a picture.

OP
OP
F

feldy

Forum Captain
im taking the MA EMT B written test on saturday. Any last minute tips or words of advice?

MRE

Forum Captain
Study well until the night before, then get a good nights sleep and have a good breakfast the next morning.

I'm sure you will do fine.

Good luck.

FourEyes

Forum Ride Along
I've been hearing that people have been getting questions on the MA EMT-B written in which they are asked to calculate the amount of oxygen left in a tank. Can anybody who's taken this recently confirm that? If so, I will need to brush up on my math skills...

nemedic

Forum Captain
i got one or two like that, was something like on the portable bottle holding 250L full, then how long do you have when running a NRB @10L/15L.

got another with canula instead of NRB. took the MA test in august. i think something like that was on NREMT as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemedic

Forum Captain
questions also meant to keep in mind the safe residual of 200psi as a general point to swap bottles

imurphy

Forum Captain
The only numbers I seem to remember are:

Operations: 18 Questions
Patient Assessment: 18 Questions

So remember to read the final chapters.

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
i got one or two like that, was something like on the portable bottle holding 250L full, then how long do you have when running a NRB @10L/15L.

got another with canula instead of NRB. took the MA test in august. i think something like that was on NREMT as well.

I've heard of that on the NREMT, but I didn't get a single question like that on my MA written exam. Maybe I was just lucky.

spazoid86

Forum Crew Member
Ok I am about to take my exam on Friday.
I see several contradictions to BP, RR, and pulse, in the book I was issued during training, the emt-b test study guide, and Mass protocalls.

For an adult RR in my book it says 8-24. On the Mass protocalls it says an 18 yo adult should be at 16-20. The EMT-B study book says 12-20.

Which of these should I be going by? I have heard 12-20 is the correct one, but eh....does anyone who took a test recently know?

nemedic

Forum Captain
If you are taking the MA written, go off of the Statewide Treatment Protocols. If it's the NREMT, go off of the book