MA EMT-B written test

OP
OP
F

feldy

Forum Captain
Ok I am about to take my exam on Friday.
I see several contradictions to BP, RR, and pulse, in the book I was issued during training, the emt-b test study guide, and Mass protocalls.

For an adult RR in my book it says 8-24. On the Mass protocalls it says an 18 yo adult should be at 16-20. The EMT-B study book says 12-20.

Which of these should I be going by? I have heard 12-20 is the correct one, but eh....does anyone who took a test recently know?

This threw me off back when i took the test too b/c no one warned me about that. If you have time take a look at the MA protocols on OEMS site. Other than that study special operations (environmental OB GERI and PEDS).

spazoid86

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the response. I am probably going to use the Mass Protocalls.

In another note, I got an Email from OEMS thsi morning in response to my question:

Welcome to the world of prehospital medicine. If you are looking for the one, definitive, absolutely correct answer that works every time, you will never find it.

Mass State Protocols list normal respiratory rate for 18 year olds as between 16-20. No adult rate is listed in the Protocols.

“Prehospital Emergency Care”, Brady Publishing = adult respiratory rate is generally 8-24.
“Emergency Care”, Brady Publishing = adult respiratory rate range is 12 to 20.
“Emergency Care & Transportation”, AAOS, Jones & Bartlett Publishing = adult respiratory rate range is 12 – 20.
“The Basic EMT”, Mosby Publishing = adult respiratory rate range is 12 – 20.
“EMT Prehospital Care”, Mosby Publishing, = adult respiratory rate range is 12 – 20.

Adult respiratory rates may also be affected by age, in that elderly adults may have an increased “normal” respiratory rate between 20 - 26 due to decreased inspiratory volume.
Certain well conditioned athletes may have “normal” respiratory rate ranges between 8 -14.

As I try to tell students, you also need to remember that your patient has not read the EMT book and has no idea of how they should be presenting themselves to you. This is why pulse rates and blood pressure are given in ranges. Even the upper & lower numbers will not reflect every “normal” patient you encounter. Weight, age & physical condition will all affect “normal” vital signs.

If this question appears on your written exam, it will have four possible answer selections. Three of the answers will contain one or more incorrect values. You must pick the one best answer for each question.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
F

feldy

Forum Captain
im impressed OEMS actually got back to you haha.

spazoid86

Forum Crew Member
I've been going over pediatric, ob, operations, terms, and the hear like hardcore. Did anyone see any wacky questions on their exam??