Lpn vs medic school

8jimi8

CFRN
You're telling me you've never seen an RN or ER Tech intubate or do an EJ in the ED??? Not even a crich?

Lol march yourself into your nearest ED crash and see how much room you get behind the head of the bed...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Lol march yourself into your nearest ED crash and see how much room you get behind the head of the bed...

I got a crap load the other day!

Granted, he was spitting up blood from esophageal varices with each compression and was Hep C+... so not too many people wanted to be near that end anyhow.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You're telling me you've never seen an RN or ER Tech intubate or do an EJ in the ED??? Not even a crich?

Are you serious, or being sarcastic?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Only the nurses from the flight program intubate at any of the hospitals I've ever been at, usually that's the ER physician or RT's realm. I'm not sure if the EJ is the same way, given the "regular" ED nurses usually seem to defer it to the flight gals and guys given that they are generally more experienced in its use, which begs the question of "how can you really perfect a skill if you always pass it off?" That and the IO is becoming more common in hospital.

So many of the RNs at the hospital that I end up in Colorado seem to have lost their ability to get that tough stick because they're passing it off to the ER techs who end up starting almost every line and blood draw. The techs then become great at it because they have more experience and it's not uncommon to see nurses doing compressions at a code while the tech gets a line.

8jimi8

CFRN
I got a crap load the other day!

Granted, he was spitting up blood from esophageal varices with each compression and was Hep C+... so not too many people wanted to be near that end anyhow.

Why didn't you intubate in the field?

8jimi8

CFRN

An ej, yes. Intubation? Surgical airway? LOL. You must be joking.

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
I think both fields have its own merits. However LPN/LVN is an archaic skill level just like EMT-Intermediates- Even ADNs are starting to have difficulty finding jobs because hospitals are now starting to require BSN to apply for a position.

You have to think about it this way- There are shared skill sets between the RN and Paramedics as there are some with LVN/LPN and Paramedic... But consider the job functions- I would not want an RN(without MICN/CritCare level training) responding to an emergency- just as I would not want a Paramedic treating me in a hospital- They are not trained for the specific function of the job. Paramedics are trained to work quickly(courteously) to deliver you to definitive care- not trained on bedside manners and holistic care(rehab, hygiene, feeding, psychological, aka total care) , (excluding Primary care paramedics you see popping up- MD replacements look it up).

Education wise- I think with your background in EMT, Paramedic is the next step up- there are bridge programs from Paramedic to RNs out there should you want to expand your medical horizon in the future- Its not much longer than the standard LVN program and you learn the same Technical skill set that you would need to move forward to RN.

That's what I'm doing right now- paramedic and later bridge to RN- I want to do Trauma Nursing and later on Emergency Nurse Practitioner. I think the way I'm building my skill set is the best way for me- but it might not be for you- there are always more than one way to reach your goal- just make an informed decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
Community paramedics can do a lot of things, but replacing physicians are not one of them.

Ah yes... replacing might not be the best word choice. Kinda like a PA... it prevents admits to a hospital and promotes preventitive care...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why didn't you intubate in the field?

Literally didn't code until after I walked in to the ER. Up until that point, the patient was under no respiratory distress and was speaking to me like any other normal person. No reason to intubate, or do any other airway control, prior to the code.

Esophageal bleeding didn't start until after I started compressions.

just as I would not want a Paramedic treating me in a hospital- They are not trained for the specific function of the job. Paramedics are trained to work quickly(courteously) to deliver you to definitive care- not trained on bedside manners and holistic care(rehab, hygiene, feeding, psychological, aka total care)

You're telling me a Paramedic is incapable of learning how to do those tasks in a hospital, the exact same way a new-grad nurse learns?

Mmmkay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ugh not this again.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

JPINFV

Gadfly
You're telling me a Paramedic is incapable of learning how to do those tasks in a hospital, the exact same way a new-grad nurse learns?

Nurses aren't going to be intubating or doing crics in the ED either.

8jimi8

CFRN
Nurses aren't going to be intubating or doing crics in the ED either.

there is a level 1 trauma in one of the eastern states where the trauma services are run by CRNAs and CRNA students rotate through at the head of the bed.

There are no other professions that have a program there at this time.

So, correct. an RN will not be doing either, But an APRN may be...

That is only a master level of education.

8jimi8

CFRN
Literally didn't code until after I walked in to the ER. Up until that point, the patient was under no respiratory distress and was speaking to me like any other normal person. No reason to intubate, or do any other airway control, prior to the code.

Esophageal bleeding didn't start until after I started compressions.

Mmmkay.

So you started doing CPR in the hall and intubated the patient in a trauma bay? Where was the ED physician?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So you started doing CPR in the hall and intubated the patient in a trauma bay? Where was the ED physician?

CPR? Yes. But not intubation, because as soon as I started compressions the doc came in and intubated. I was doing what I could to stay AWAY from the mouth with spurting blood considering all I had on was gloves :p

But I DID push Epi, which strangely enough was thrown to me by the doctor.

Can't say why, but even though we were in a level 1 trauma center with more than enough help, the people who did the most were the doc, me, and the flight medic and nurse who came to help.

8jimi8

CFRN
CPR? Yes. But not intubation, because as soon as I started compressions the doc came in and intubated. I was doing what I could to stay AWAY from the mouth with spurting blood considering all I had on was gloves :p

But I DID push Epi, which strangely enough was thrown to me by the doctor.

Can't say why, but even though we were in a level 1 trauma center with more than enough help, the people who did the most were the doc, me, and the flight medic and nurse who came to help.

you totally made it sound like you intubated that guy earlier punk! what were you doing with all your time at the head of the bed?! lol

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Making sure the doctor knew how to run a code :rofl:

I was just saying how no one wanted to get near the bloody head end of communicable disease patient.

8jimi8

CFRN
did he die?