Lpn vs medic school

Itsadonna

Forum Probie
Wondering anybody's opinion on this. I am close to my assoc in science. I was wondering if yuo think it'd be more worth it to go into nursing as an LPN or Medic school ??

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Wondering anybody's opinion on this. I am close to my assoc in science. I was wondering if yuo think it'd be more worth it to go into nursing as an LPN or Medic school ??

What's your goal?

Regardless, I'm gonna say LPN is a waste of time for everyone. If you want to be a nurse, go be an RN. If you want to be a medic, go to medic school.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Well, it truly depends on what your ultimate career goals are. Both Paramedic school and LPN are rigorous in nature, but focus greatly on different training. LPN's generally are focused on long-term care and rehabilitation, while Paramedics are pre-hospital setting and emergency care. Good luck in whatever you do, and both schooling's are going to be difficult, but very different but with little overlap with Anatomy and Physiology and Pathophysiology. Just take your experience as a Basic and if you like it, you will most likely enjoy Paramedic school and experience.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
What's your goal?

Regardless, I'm gonna say LPN is a waste of time for everyone. If you want to be a nurse, go be an RN. If you want to be a medic, go to medic school.
LPN's are certainly not a waste of time, they do a lot of specific roles that assist the RN's in the patients health, as any other healthcare provider.

Yarbo

Forum Crew Member
What's your goal?

I hope you didn't put too much thought into this comment.

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant

Are you asking if it would be more beneficial to be an LPN or Medic in order to get into Nursing school?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I hope you didn't put too much thought into this comment.

No. Clearly by the non-supported argument anyone can see that...

Why is it pointless? In today's times (in the USA) the use of the LPN is diminishing. Healthcare societies, specifically nursing, are emphasizing advanced education. BSN and MSN are often becoming common on floors/units. So supporting a position that acts almost like a RN replacer (w/ less education) is counter intuitive for people who want to see advancements in education, like me.

Why would I personally discourage it?
- The time it takes for someone to complete an LPN could be better suited getting your RN. The shortest LPN program I've seen is 10.5 months, the ADN is about 24 months.
- Bridge programs often times aren't as academically rigorous as an entry level program.
- There is limited independence as an LPN.
- There is limited growth for an LPN, but endless growth for an RN.

OP
OP
I

Itsadonna

Forum Probie
Yes, I should have put a little bit more detail in this post. I eventually want to move up to an RN, for the sole purpose of working on an ambulance. Working in an ambulance is my main goal, really. I've been told that RN's are needed on the riggs, and often get paid more money for doing the same thing. That, and there's more oppourtunities in general for RN's, especially where I live.I was asking between the two because there is a bridge program for MEDIC-> RN and there is also the LPN->RN bridge as well. The medic programs around here are 2 years long a couple days a week where's the LPN programs are half the length but a more intensive schedule(something that would be hard to fit into my working schedule) Was curious if anybody did either of those bridges..

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
No. Clearly by the non-supported argument anyone can see that...

Why is it pointless? In today's times (in the USA) the use of the LPN is diminishing. Healthcare societies, specifically nursing, are emphasizing advanced education. BSN and MSN are often becoming common on floors/units. So supporting a position that acts almost like a RN replacer (w/ less education) is counter intuitive for people who want to see advancements in education, like me.
First of all, anyone who has been through a decent LPN program will tell you they are not a RN replacer. LPN's aren't usually dealing with unstable patients and don't do any advanced procedures, so how could they even be similar or as you put it a "RN replacer" ?

Why would I personally discourage it?
- The time it takes for someone to complete an LPN could be better suited getting your RN. The shortest LPN program I've seen is 10.5 months, the ADN is about 24 months.
- Bridge programs often times aren't as academically rigorous as an entry level program.
- There is limited independence as an LPN.
- There is limited growth for an LPN, but endless growth for an RN.
1. Many times the wait for RN is too long and can take up to several years, by then the proposed student would have completed the bridge and gotten some experience.
2. This is true, but a lot of the LPN covers the basics of the RN program, there isn't anything an LPN can do that an RN can't, so it puts the student well ahead in the program.
3. One usually doesn't enter nursing looking for a whole lot of "independence."
4. Limited, to a degree yes. But they also have a rounded education and can work in various medical specialties.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not a whole lot of RNs work on ambulances, unless it's a critical care transport truck.

If you want to work in an ambulance, get your medic.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Another option for the OP if your state delegates it is Pre-Hospital Registered Nurse.

OP
OP
I

Itsadonna

Forum Probie
Not a whole lot of RNs work on ambulances, unless it's a critical care transport truck.

If you want to work in an ambulance, get your medic.

Yeah, I guess I'm a little bit confused. I was told nurses are found on ambulances as well as paramedics. I guess if this were completely true, they would eliminate the need for seperate schooling.

socalemt123

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, I guess I'm a little bit confused. I was told nurses are found on ambulances as well as paramedics. I guess if this were completely true, they would eliminate the need for seperate schooling.

The only time I've ever heard of a nurse being on an ambulance was during critical care transports. Our company has a nurse that only rides with us during those types of transports. Otherwise it's an EMT/EMT crew or EMT/Paramedic crew..

OP
OP
I

Itsadonna

Forum Probie
The only time I've ever heard of a nurse being on an ambulance was during critical care transports. Our company has a nurse that only rides with us during those types of transports. Otherwise it's an EMT/EMT crew or EMT/Paramedic crew..
Where do you live at ? I was told this by one of my professors back in my EMT class. MAN ! Maybe I feel like I've been given the wrong information all along..Either way looking into eventually going for RN would be a good goal to end up in.

socalemt123

Forum Crew Member
Where do you live at ? I was told this by one of my professors back in my EMT class. MAN ! Maybe I feel like I've been given the wrong information all along..Either way looking into eventually going for RN would be a good goal to end up in.

I'm in So Cal. I can tell you that you will be paid a lot better being an RN with the ability to change specialties. I have a friend who was an EMT while he went to nursing school and now he is a trauma nurse.
The nurses that we do have on our critical care transport calls also work in ER's or ICU's at the local hospital.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I've never heard of that, do you know anything about what that is ?
A special certification in some states that allows Nurses to work in the Pre-Hospital setting with additional training. Depending on the area, the requirements will be different, but usually a good solid ICU or ER experience is helpful in landing a solid job, and by experience I mean 3-5 years. They are allowed to do ALS procedures and I am unaware of anything they can't do Pre-Hospital that a Paramedic can.
*Someone please correct me if this isn't so.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Why not use your gen. ed. classes towards your RN, they should transfer.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
A special certification in some states that allows Nurses to work in the Pre-Hospital setting with additional training. Depending on the area, the requirements will be different, but usually a good solid ICU or ER experience is helpful in landing a solid job, and by experience I mean 3-5 years. They are allowed to do ALS procedures and I am unaware of anything they can't do Pre-Hospital that a Paramedic can.
*Someone please correct me if this isn't so.

This sounds mostly right, although i'm not sure if they are always required to get a PHRN to do that job. If the OP wants to ride EMS, they are better off getting their medic. If they want to be a flight nurse, then what happy suggests is correct.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I would think it totally depends on what your goals are. In terms of job availability and pay I think they are probably just about equal, but they are such different jobs which one you go for would depend on what your interests and talents are. I associate LPNs with things like health clinics and long term care facilities, not so much acute care.

I personally wouldnt bother with becoming an LPN and would just go to school to be an RN if nursing was my thing, since LPNs are so limited in what they can do and where they can work. Its sort of like being an EMT Intermediate, but at least Intermediates can still do the work of Basics, LPNs on the other hand cant work as CNAs. Like Intermediates there is also chronic speculation that they will do away with LPNs, who will then either have to advance to RN or become a CNA. This has apparently been discussed for years, if not decades, so it probably wont happen any time soon, if at all, but its something to consider.