Looking For- Motorola Handheld Radio

Everett

Forum Crew Member
If you or someone you know has a Motorola radio thats in good condition and is looking for someone to buy please let me know. I need one for my squad, and I can't seem to find any decent ones for a reasonable price.

Please also post pictures and/or comments, thanks.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You may want to be a bit more specific, as there are endless numbers of Motorola radios out there. VHF/UHF/800 Mhz? Features?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Does it have to be a Motorola. I don't think the make matters as much as the frequency. My service uses Motorola GP300, GP350, HT1250, Kenwood TK270. As you can seen it doesn't matter has to the make but to the frequency. As well when I was working security at a music festival we borrowed the radio from the local national park. The radios we received were from ICOM, Motorola, and Bendix King. So make really doesn't matter but the frequency. Or is it Motorola is what your service requires. I wonder if thats common in the US for individual members to purchase their who communication equipment, because here we are issued our radios from our service.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If you or someone you know has a Motorola radio thats in good condition and is looking for someone to buy please let me know. I need one for my squad, and I can't seem to find any decent ones for a reasonable price.

Please also post pictures and/or comments, thanks.
why????? your squad should be providing you with your own radio. and knowing the area you are in, I know they do issue you equipment (I have worked in the trenton area)

so again, even out of pure curiosity, why are you looking to buy your own radio, which you won't be able to use if you leave the squad or move to a different part of the state?

NJN

The Young One
so again, even out of pure curiosity, why are you looking to buy your own radio, which you won't be able to use if you leave the squad or move to a different part of the state?

I second this, I did at one point buy my own radio, then I left said squad, now it sits there as a really expensive scanner that I sometimes may use on mutual aid calls.

Plus once you buy one then you need to program it and the like.

If you really really really want one, and you need a VHF radio PM me for details.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Need?
No, you dont need one.
You might like to have one.
I have one. It's nice to have a heads up on incidents, to know its gonna work, how its gonna work, and know I got almost the best money can buy.

But I dont need it.

I would reckon 1/4 of the medics I work with have their own radio.
It is quite handy to have, I will day.

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
why????? your squad should be providing you with your own radio. and knowing the area you are in, I know they do issue you equipment (I have worked in the trenton area)

Our squad doesn't provide its members with their own radio. So most usually go out and buy one. I currently have 2 portables. (Kenwood and Motorola P1225) I normally never leave the house without one. I guess if you lived in my area you would see why. Evenings and weekends are normally covered by vollies, like myself. Most members do not have a set run crew when they standby and the station. They normally respond to the station or scene once a call is dispatched. So therefore its good to have radio contact with dispatch and the others going on the call, to let them know you're responding.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I would suggest ebay. There are tons of portables for sale, of all makes and models. You will need to know UHF/VHF, as well as (for UHF) the frequency split you need (403-470/450-512 or 520, etc.). Make sure you get the details first, or you wind up with a very expensive paper weight.

MRE

Forum Captain
I have one. It's nice to have a heads up on incidents, to know its gonna work, how its gonna work, and know I got almost the best money can buy.

Out of curiosity, what model is it that you consider the best that money can buy?

Everett-
As others have said, more info would be helpful. What frequency range are you looking for, how many channels do you need, any advanced signaling, and price.

I have had good luck with ebay, and athough Mother Moto has done just about everything they can to keep the programming software under control, it is available on the internet for most of their radios. Programming cables can be had for $23-30 on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Out of curiosity, what model is it that you consider the best that money can buy?

I drink the /\/\ koolaid, so thats all I will use.
I currently have an MT-2000 with Hi-Cap battery and Commander II Mic.
Make sure you know what you are doing before you buy a radio.

Know your freqs, what channels you want programmed, who can program for you, and you have the accessories to go with it, and they work for that model.

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
I drink the /\/\ koolaid, so thats all I will use.
I currently have an MT-2000 with Hi-Cap battery and Commander II Mic.
Make sure you know what you are doing before you buy a radio.

Know your freqs, what channels you want programmed, who can program for you, and you have the accessories to go with it, and they work for that model.

And you think those Bricks are the best? :rolleyes: HT1250 is surely a good choice. But if you want a cheaper one Motorola CP200's are also nice. I've always been a fan of Kenwood too. I've had my Kenwood portable for about 10 years now.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I'm just not a fan of the 750/1250.
I had an HT-1000 prior to my MT-2000.

MRE

Forum Captain
I've got several radios from the Jedi lineup (HT1000, MT2000, JT1000) for various uses. You just can't kill them.

The HT1250s are nice, but a bit more expensive as they are a current production radio. The CP200 is fairly cheap but limited to 4 or 16 channels and does not come with an LCD screen. There is the LR400 which has the same case as the CP200 but is available with a screen and up to 64 channels.

The MT2000 can be had on ebay for $150-200 for a good one, and with 160 channels and an LCD screen in a time proven package, for buying your own radio they make lots of sense.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
The ONLY thing I dont like about the 2000 is the inability to get an open mic when I hit my emergency button.

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
I've got several radios from the Jedi lineup (HT1000, MT2000, JT1000) for various uses. You just can't kill them.

The HT1250s are nice, but a bit more expensive as they are a current production radio. The CP200 is fairly cheap but limited to 4 or 16 channels and does not come with an LCD screen. There is the LR400 which has the same case as the CP200 but is available with a screen and up to 64 channels.

The MT2000 can be had on ebay for $150-200 for a good one, and with 160 channels and an LCD screen in a time proven package, for buying your own radio they make lots of sense.

I don't really have much use for more than 16 channels. My Kenwood has 32 but its surely not filled up. I have a P1225 16 channel. Its a tough radio too.

MRE

Forum Captain
I don't really have much use for more than 16 channels. My Kenwood has 32 but its surely not filled up. I have a P1225 16 channel. Its a tough radio too.

In my area, almost every town uses a different frequency, add to that several countywide dispactch channels and fireground channels, as well as the hospital call in and inter ambulance frequencies and 16 channels disappear very fast.

My issued radio for the fire department is a 1225 with a screen and DTMF pad, but some members still have 8 channel GP300s. We are looking to buy some new radios with more channel capacity to replace them.

Last edited by a moderator: