Long time no post...

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Well, here is an update on me. I haven't posted since December... I am actively in my 3rd week of EMT classes and I am doing extremely well. I have a study group of 5 people. My class is awesome, and my instructors are awesome as well! I have just taken my 4th exam, and I am maintaining a 93% currently. (1 point from an A).
We have started getting into airway management and patient assesment, our first skills lab is tomorrow. (I can't wait).
My husband complimented me for the first time last night since I made my decision to do this. (He's usually very supportive, but I have changed my mind on what I want to do for a living many times). But he told me last night that he really thinks that I will do well in this field given my personality. He told me he was proud of me and he knows that I will make a great Paramedic one day. :D What a nice thing to hear!!! My husband is very supportive in what I do, no matter what it is, but he's not always vocal about it...but it made me feel soooooo good!!! :D

Anyways, I had to share... I can't wait to get started!! Clinical signups are in 2 weeks!!! YAY!!! :lol:

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Good job and good luck on the rest of it too!! Always remember BSI... BSI... BSI... dream BSI... think BSI.... Eat BSI.... :D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome back.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Jan 26 2005, 12:23 PM
Good job and good luck on the rest of it too!! Always remember BSI... BSI... BSI... dream BSI... think BSI.... Eat BSI.... :D
And scene safety...mustn't forget scene safety.

Congrats on the class, and good to hear from you again.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
First of all congrats that you are doing that well.

And secondly remember ABCC

A-Airway
B-Breathing
C-Circulation
C-C-Spine Stabilization

Also Talk your self through everything if you think it say it. You can't go wrong then the instructors know that you know what you are doing.

Just some hints from an instructor:D

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
The neumonic that saved my butt during my practical tests is this one:

(Obviously Scene safety/BSI...this was a crit fail for us)

M- Mech of injury/nature of illness
N- Number of pt's
O- Others (do I need to call for more help/ALS?)
P- paralysis (consider c-spine)

G- general impression
A- AVPU/check responsiveness
L- life threats/chief complaint

then obviously abc's, sample, exam, etc. Those first parts someone always lost a few points.

OP
OP
E

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
OMG - you guys!! LMAO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah....let's see... :p

BSI, Scene Saftey, BSI, BSI, SAMPLE, OPQRST, PPE, BVM, ATV... oh yeah! BSI??? Did I forget BSI?? What is the first thing you need??? GLOVES!!! :lol:

Man...there is alot...and this was only my 3rd week!!!!!!! But it's not that bad.

I just got home. I bought my BP Cuff...or my Sphygmomanometer....who the *beep* came up with that name anyway??????? We have lab tomorrow night...get to play with patient assesment and O2 applications...

I can't believe how much the human brain can absorb in one night and still be able to function!!! That being said....I am going to bed now to revive my brain for work tomorrow, and class tomorrow night!!!!

:wacko:

Ya'll have a great night!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Congrats on doing so well, and welcome back!

I wish I could leave you with some amazing piece of advice, and so I'll tell you what I do when in doubt, "Elevate it above your head."

It's good to see you again, and keep us updated!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Jan 27 2005, 01:52 AM
Congrats on doing so well, and welcome back! so I'll tell you what I do when in doubt, "Elevate it above your head."
Or you can always use the only truly universal protocol:

Treat with High Flow Diesel

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by EMTstudent@Jan 26 2005, 10:37 PM
I bought my BP Cuff...or my Sphygmomanometer....who the *beep* came up with that name anyway???????
Main Entry: sphyg·mo·ma·nom·e·ter
Pronunciation: "sfig-mO-m&-'nä-m&-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek sphygmos pulse (from sphyzein to throb) + International Scientific Vocabulary manometer
: an instrument for measuring blood pressure and especially arterial blood pressure
- sphyg·mo·ma·nom·e·try /-m&-'nä-m&-trE/ noun

Main Entry: ma·nom·e·ter
Pronunciation: m&-'nä-m&-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: French manomètre, from Greek manos sparse, loose, rare (akin to Armenian manr small) + French -mètre
1 : an instrument (as a pressure gauge) for measuring the pressure of gases and vapors
2 : SPHYGMOMANOMETER
- man·o·met·ric /"ma-n&-'me-trik/ adjective
- man·o·met·ri·cal·ly /-tri-k(&-)lE/ adverb
- ma·nom·e·try /m&-'nä-m&-trE/ noun

So basically, it was the Greeks and the French... and those pesky international scientific vocabulary people. :D

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
So basically, it was the Greeks and the French... and those pesky international scientific vocabulary people.

As soon as she asked that question I Knew for sure rescuecpt was going to come up with the appropriate answer!!! Even though your provided ifo was great I am sticking with cuff. Anyone else!!?? :lol:

runindash05

Forum Crew Member
I agree. Whatever you say, it is simply "the cuff." :)

Brandon B)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Looks like your outvoted, rescuecpt! :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Jan 27 2005, 09:50 PM
Am I too late too vote... I want the tourniquet for the neck :D
Your neck????

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Um, the cuff is the part you put around the arm. The sphyg is the thing that actually does the measurements... two different things. But I think you'll all survive if you go with "BP Cuff". :p

OP
OP
E

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
LMAO!!!

Tournaquet for the neck :lol: ... I have another one...

The Kavorkian Scarf... :lol:

I got it from a web site with weird cartoons... LOL it's funny. If you all wanna see it let me know, and I will post it. :D

UPDATE:

I had my first skills lab on Thursday... it was a BLAST!!!! :D Man I love this. We were practicing taking Vital Signs (which is our first lab exam, to show competency in this skill)...and we had so much fun doing it. Our instructors told us a few stories about prior medic students that were hysterical...

1) Some medic student thought it would be funny to defibrilate his arm... LOL that was a funny story. :lol:

2) Another medic thought it would be cool to push the drug to flat-line himself (forgot the name of the drug, but I am sure you all know what I am talking about - stops the heart for about 6-7 seconds) Evidently the real drug was still in the vial and not water...and he pushed enough to flat-line himself... He did it because he wanted to see what it felt like... His response 'I felt like ****'.... (DUH!!) :rolleyes:

Anyways - I just wanted to say hey and give you an update... I have to get back to studying... I have 3 tests this coming week. (4 chapter test on Tues, Skills test on Wed and another test on Thurs) YIKES!!! :blink:

Take care ya'll and will talk to you later ----- (If I am still conscious after all this studying) :wacko: