London Ambulance Service recruiting 250 medics from overseas

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I hate to burst bubbles, but I'm not so sure they truly desire us yank NR-Ps. Otherwise why make so many complications for us as opposed to the Aussies and others who can just practically dive right in, in comparison. Now were talking fronting dough and time essentially having more hoops for a DL is you're from the US.

At face value it looks like all are encouraged to apply, but just under that it seems they are seeking and truly desire those other candidates from across the ponds.

The Londoner himself said no Americans (trained in American EM) are working there, and it doesn't seem that any have in the past seeing how many hoops there are.

I would think that much like any other organization that has critical personnel needs they would streamline the process as opposed to the "run around" it appears to be.

Just calling it as I see it. I'd love to be proved wrong though; solid opportunity I'd love to have.

I think a big part of that would be how poorly trained US paramedics are compared to other Commonwealth countries

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I think a big part of that would be how poorly trained US paramedics are compared to other Commonwealth countries

I wouldn't necessarily say poorly trained - perhaps poorly educated. Certainly, the US seems to take pride in doing things its own way compared to many of the first world commonwealth countries, and healthcare as a whole is a glaring example of this.

Still, a move which I have always believed to be impossible for US paras is now no longer so in this particular instance. It may just take a lot of groundwork, a reasonable amount of money, and a little luck.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wouldn't necessarily say poorly trained - perhaps poorly educated. Certainly, the US seems to take pride in doing things its own way compared to many of the first world commonwealth countries, and healthcare as a whole is a glaring example of this.

Still, a move which I have always believed to be impossible for US paras is now no longer so in this particular instance. It may just take a lot of groundwork, a reasonable amount of money, and a little luck.

That is what I meant. Thank you for catching that. I'm gonna go to sleep now lol.
And I would love to be able to do this.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Shots fired!

You guys mean we are not trained to the max?! Gaff!

Lol, while I agree with your honesty that may strike a few chords. I am in the camp of progressives who desire higher medical education standards for Paramedics and more stringent certification (or better licensure) processes.

King County should be the national standard.

'MERICA!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Shots fired!

You guys mean we are not trained to the max?! Gaff!

Lol, while I agree with your honesty that may strike a few chords. I am in the camp of progressives who desire higher medical education standards for Paramedics and more stringent certification (or better licensure) processes.

King County should be the national standard.

Dude, if you read my posts around here and other places you'll know I agree. Not quite for King County, but I agree that we need better and higher education in this field. And I've been around here long enough to not care who I might piss off, mods and admins included :p

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I know brother, just giving you a hard time.

It's the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

dutemplar

Forum Captain
I'd love to... Even breaking even, but this looks like a lose-lose with me paying to work.

US has geared towards certification and function, as compared to degrees. No excuse nowadays that medic shouldn't be a two year degree... Although that would take three years to accomplish all the material. Most medics aren't paid enough to make a bachelors worth it at $9-$12/hr...

Medic for hire, will travel! Learn language basics quickly, am house trained and don't bite!

EagleMedic

Forum Ride Along
I did some ride outs with LAS a few years ago, and it is true EMS is EMS everywhere; of course every place is different and will have its discrepancies on how we do things in our home system; I've learned that while flying around the world as a flight medic.

I think London is very interesting as many other large metropolis, and can assure you if you love what you do, it will pay off, but if you're willing to take an easy job and get paid to sleep, you are looking to the wrong system. We ran an average of 10-12 calls in a 12 hr shift; in fact, we never made it back to the station after our first call and until the rest of the shift. Some of us are used to it and will not be an issue, but I strongly recommend to self evaluate our interests before spending time, money and resources.

I have e mailed the HCPC to assure the documents, letters and signatures are the right ones before I submit my paperwork packet. If anyone out there is working on it will appreciate any advise or suggestion. I'll give it a try, I'll be sharing any useful information as soon as I can.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have e mailed the HCPC to assure the documents, letters and signatures are the right ones before I submit my paperwork packet. If anyone out there is working on it will appreciate any advise or suggestion. I'll give it a try, I'll be sharing any useful information as soon as I can.
Keep us up to date on that. I plan on submitting my paperwork to the HCPC also, but not for a month or two.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Good luck to you both. It would be interesting to read about the progress you make with your applications.

denisjf

Forum Ride Along
Applying from Canada to LAS

Hi am thinking about applying to LAS as well.

I have been working as a Primary Care Paramedic in Ontario for 2 years and did try and apply thought the online process. I received and email asking me to check the requirements and review the job description/person specification.
I was also asked to check and verify that the qualifications I currently hold are valid in the UK through the HCPC.

I have emailed the HCPC asking to send me details on what the process is/ how to go about validating/ transferring my certification.

The news article specified they are looking at paramedics from Aus and NZ but didnt mention Canada.
Im wondering if anyone has tried to apply from Canada, or if there are any Canadian paramedics currently working in the UK that can share their experience of the process Or if anyone has any info that will help.

Denis

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Everything you need for your initial application can be found on the HCPC website under the international applicant section.

http://www.hcpc-uk.org/apply/international/

The application form is here (note it is changing after April 1st) -

http://www.hcpc-uk.org/apply/international/forms/

The standards of proficiency, which your application will be judged against, is here -

http://www.hcpc-uk.org/assets/documents/1000051CStandards_of_Proficiency_Paramedics.pdf

Please don't skim over the last link. It is probably the best guide for your application, and should serve as a template for the wording of your work history, clinical experience, personal statement etc. For arguments sake, just assume that the HCPC has no clue what is involved with North American paramedic credentialing. You (and your professional reference) will be expected to provide evidence that you meet all the standards of proficiency - not just merely state that you do.

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
Dredging this up as I look around. I'm working with a UK medic onboard that says the program is still ongoing. A quick check shows they're courting NZ paramedics. Anyone here ever take on the program and make it out?

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I just read in EMSworld that they are sending recruitment teams down to Australia.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
There definitely seems to be more of an interest in hiring from Australia than any other country.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
What is so great about Australia vs NZ, Canada ?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What is so great about Australia vs NZ, Canada ?
Sounds like a question you should call and ask them directly.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
I don't think I could afford a transatlantic phone call.