London Ambulance Service recruiting 250 medics from overseas

MaverickMedic

Forum Ride Along
For paramedic staffing on the ambulance in LAS, is it double paramedic units, or 1 EMT and 1 Paramedic?

It varies. A standard permanent crew is 1 paramedic with 1 EMT.

There are also double "EMT" crews (actually called A&E support staff) that will do admissions by Drs or non-emergency transport to the ED after a rapid response paramedic has seen them and deemed it safe.

Double paramedic crews are not uncommon if someone (or both) are on overtime or don't have permanent crew mates and they've been paired up for that shift.

MaverickMedic

Forum Ride Along
As someone who has a reasonable grasp of the both the US and UK systems…a few points.
5. Same :censored::censored::censored::censored: different continent. You will still get your drunks, fakers, and BS jobs. It should also be known that assault on UK NHS staff is particularly common.

Scott33 makes a good point, I imagine a lot of the day-to-day work is very similar where ever you do it. I have worked in several UK services and know that's true here.

Out of curiosity, what is it about LAS (or the UK in general) that appeals to you as US paramedics?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I know some places in the UK you might actually be alone on the unit. If you get something critical you get a fly car or another unit to help otherwise you do absolutely everything including driving and patient care. That's how I thought I understood this UK paramedic I was talking to.

MaverickMedic

Forum Ride Along
I know some places in the UK you might actually be alone on the unit. If you get something critical you get a fly car or another unit to help otherwise you do absolutely everything including driving and patient care. That's how I thought I understood this UK paramedic I was talking to.

I don't know of anywhere that would routinely deploy a single-manned emergency ambulance. I have known of someone respond on their own in an ambulance when they were the only unit available. They were rapidly backed up by a fully crewed unit. As far as I know, this was exceptional.

We do have the "Patient Transport Service", which used to be NHS but now is frequently contracted to the private sector, that are often a single person. They do admissions and transport to outpatient appointments for people who can mobilise themselves but just need a lift. There is also a double-crewed version that can handle wheelchair or stretcher patients who, again, only need transport without clinical care. Although they are technically ambulances, they are not really anything to do with emergency care.

We also have rapid response units. These are single person cars targeted at arriving first at critical calls or providing paramedic support to units already on-scene with a critical problem. Essentially what I gather you call fly cars or sprint cars in the USA. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never actually seen one of your ambulance cars.)

Some trusts also have single person response to low-risk calls (minor injuries/minor illness etc) with a view towards preventing an ED attendance. Generally a separate dedicated unit (ECP or PP) or but sometimes all the RRUs will do this, depending on the trust.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ah gotcha, I must've misunderstood her. I know she does EMS not patient transport.

She may not work for the LAS either, I'll have to ask her.

It didn't make much sense to me...I can do a lot by myself but there's a lot of things that take more than one person too.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Out of curiosity, what is it about LAS (or the UK in general) that appeals to you as US paramedics?

I think it's a combination of things... pay and respect are big ones.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I back packed through the UK for a few months, had a great time, especially in London. The only reason I am interested in LAS is because its open to non-EU Paramedics. The work visa has always been an issue. Its more the location than the ambulance service.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
I back packed through the UK for a few months, had a great time, especially in London. The only reason I am interested in LAS is because its open to non-EU Paramedics. The work visa has always been an issue. Its more the location than the ambulance service.

Agree, location and a bit of adventure. Work isn't work when it's a living vacation and interesting. Now, my backpacking was for the army so not as enjoyable a tour, but have met a lot of interesting people from England. One vacation in the UK and a working vacation some years later were great and I did enjoy the area quite a bit. I'd love to go back, especially to be paid to go back!

I'm not quite as sure about the cost of going back, factoring in registration, moving expenses, travel, lodging being a lot of "up front" costs.

For me, an interesting city, a bit of adventure. For my fiancée, an overseas place she can enjoy more than a sandbox with day trips to check out her coswald cottages and antiques.

I would trade you London for Washington DC in a heartbeat.

EMS is EMS is EMS...

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I would trade you London for Washington DC in a heartbeat.

EMS is EMS is EMS...
Ya I was in Baltimore and DC for last years CCEMT-P at UMBC, I don't blame you!

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Shall we start working on our cockney accents Expat? I do believe this could be chapter 2 of our saga...the Sheiks of London!!!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I don't want to assume by reading between the lines, so who is actually in the process or planning to formally apply?

Keep us updated on the details. I am sure more questions will arise.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Funnily enough, I'm coming to Washington DC for a month in April. I'm visiting the MedSTAR hospital trauma unit.

Is there anyone has any pointers for visiting, please let me know!

Well... I spend some time playing Volunteer FF in suburban DC (MD).... Hit me up when you're in town, I'll gladly buy you a beer and swap war stories!

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Funnily enough, I'm coming to Washington DC for a month in April. I'm visiting the MedSTAR hospital trauma unit.

Is there anyone has any pointers for visiting, please let me know!

Living in Baltimore, work in NE DC. As Jon said, drop a line and we'll figure something out.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
I don't want to assume by reading between the lines, so who is actually in the process or planning to formally apply?

Keep us updated on the details. I am sure more questions will arise.

Today, I don't have the $ to front applying. The $700 for registration would be tight, let alone all of the other costs (moving, renting,...). If they even had barracks or dorm lodging, while new ball game.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Today, I don't have the $ to front applying. The $700 for registration would be tight, let alone all of the other costs (moving, renting,...). If they even had barracks or dorm lodging, while new ball game.

Not to mention the additional 4 or 5 grand for your C1 / D1 license. Mandatory for working for the NHS.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
4 or 5 grand?!?! What?!... Holy blindside.

No one is going to do that. Is that factual? Link?

MaverickMedic

Forum Ride Along
Not to mention the additional 4 or 5 grand for your C1 / D1 license. Mandatory for working for the NHS.

4 or 5 grand?!?! What?!... Holy blindside.

No one is going to do that. Is that factual? Link?

Only C1 should be required for and A&E job. C1 covers a vehicle up to 7.5 tons. D1 is for vehicles with 8-15 seats, so essentially mini-busses. Ambulances are C1 category vehicles. Not sure what the costs are, but it certainly wasn't that much when I did it (years ago, however). I'll see if I can find a price and post it later.

Historically, ambulance services did require D1 when patient transport was also part of the job. Lots of admissions and discharges are done by minibus.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Not sure what the costs are, but it certainly wasn't that much when I did it (years ago, however). I'll see if I can find a price and post it later.

Bear in mind though that someone who holds a US driving license (of any class) cannot exchange it for a UK one. Therefore, they will have the additional costs of theory & practical tuition / exams for their ordinary car license.

This is not the case with those who hold a license from Australia, NZ, and Canada who can exchange them with minimal fuss and, I believe, a fee of 50 GBP.

Last edited by a moderator:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I hate to burst bubbles, but I'm not so sure they truly desire us yank NR-Ps. Otherwise why make so many complications for us as opposed to the Aussies and others who can just practically dive right in, in comparison? Now we're talking fronting more dough and more unpaid time; essentially having more hoops for a DL if you're from the US.

At face value it looks like all are encouraged to apply, but just under that it seems they are seeking and truly desire those other candidates from across the ponds.

The Londoner himself said no Americans (trained in American EM) are working there, and it doesn't seem that any have in the past seeing how many hoops there are.

I would think that much like any other organization that has critical personnel needs they would streamline the process as opposed to the "run around" it appears to be.

Just calling it as I see it. I'd love to be proved wrong though; solid opportunity I'd love to have.

Last edited by a moderator: