Loadings and penalties

SpecialK

Forum Captain
I am curious to see who else gets paid what in terms of loadings and penalties?

The current situation is essentially we get nothing apart from stat days. Most were abruptly removed decades ago with the first renegotiation post labour market deregulation and the few that remain are only for specific grandfathered staff of which there are now very few.

The answer probably be what I'd like to hear, but I'm curious. Thanks.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I will speak for myself and possibly a large part of the US providers....what the heck are you talking about???

If we work for a city or a county, we are paid regardless.
If we work for a private, we usually have demand for our assigned shift, especially if we are Full Time employees. Per Diems and Part Timers get called off or sent home early if volume dictates.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I get paid by the hour, whether I do 20 trips or 0.

I have no idea what the rest of your post is talking about.

OP
OP
SpecialK

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Currently ambulance personnel receive a flat rate (which is not very high) regardless of whether working days, nights, weekdays or weekends. The only difference is the stat days which have to be paid at time and a half because the law says so.

My friend who works for ASNSW can, on some shifts, earn over $100 an hour for certain hours; for example if he works a late or night shift on a Sunday he gets something like 1.5 x for working on the weekend plus 1.5 x again for working an evening or night on a weekend.

Certainly the nurses who work for the public health system also get such loadings and penalties. My friend who is a nurse is not only paid a slightly higher salary for far less clinical responsibility but also gets loadings for working nights/weekends etc and if he misses a meal or doesn't get to take it hge gets something like a $37 penalty payment. Even the bloody orderly or cleaner is paid more.

When I was looking at what it'd be like to work in London; you get a stepped unsocial hours supplement and a high-cost supplement if you live in London. The problem is there is nothing like this; the base pay is all you get regardless of whether you live in AKL where the average house price is a million bucks and so unaffordable we are all still flatting into our thirties or if you live in the whops. My friend and her family are moving back to Australia because the pay is higher.

I am curious to see what the situation is elsewhere.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Back on fire we got overtime, but it was once we passed out regular number of shifts in a month, not hours in a day.

Now it all depends, time and a half for OT (either 12 hours in a day or 40 in a week), call in (if they call and ask us with less than two hours notice, we can say no unless we were actually on call), and holidays. Bonus depends on needs, 10-30 an hour is pretty typical. Nights or weekends is a few dollars, the same for precepting, charge, and most specialty pays. We do get a very substantial bonus for specialty certifications, all of our mandatory training is paid for (both in class cost and our time) and we get paid for elective continuing education as long as it is in person.

We are supposed to get a lunch but it is unpaid, if we don't get one we get paid that time at 1.5 of our base rate.

There is no cost of living difference, if you work out of the hospital you get the same rate as someone at a rural base.

All in I typically make about double my base rate, but it all depends on how much staff we need and is definitely higher in the winter than the summer.

All of the major hospital systems have roughly the same setup. Some offer shift bonuses in weird ways, like $50 for 4 hours of bonus only after you've worked 40 hours in a week and they won't pay it if you get canceled later in the week and dip below 40 hours.

The two hospitals that we compete the most with are natoriously stingy, and staff that have left and gone there almost never get approved for OT let alone any incentive pay although it does exist in their systems.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
we get a 15% night differential if the majority of the shift falls between 7pm and 7am. no bonus for working weekends. no break for lunch. 12 hour shifts. OT only after 40 hours. last minute call ins are time and a half if it puts you over 40 hours; if you are part time, it's straight pay. no bonus for specialty certifications. if we work on a holiday, we get 8 hours of holiday pay at time and a half rate, the rest is regular pay.

mandatory training was mostly paid; if it was on your long week (when you already worked 4 12 hour shifts hours on the truck) it was all OT. otherwise it was straight time. if you took a class that was job related but not mandatory, they might pay for the class, but you are taking it on your own time. if you need time off for the class, you either need to find your own coverage (while not causing OT) or request the week off as guaranteed vacation.

no stipend for high cost of living areas. we had a few people commute from other states (generally NY or PA), but that was all on them.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
We get overtime for anything over 40 hours in one pay week. Evening shift differential ($2.45/hour) if half or more of your shift is after 3 PM, night shift differential ($4.65/hour) if half or more of your shift is after 11 PM.

Overtime pays 1.5x base, holiday pay is also 1.5 base and we get 8 hours of paid time off for any holiday, worked or not.