Live Scan

jmunar

Forum Probie
I just passed my NREMT exam last friday, now I getting everything put together to submit my application for a LA county certification and one of the requirements to get live scanned which is $52 around my area, (the Antelope Valley, CA) but I want to know why you have to get scanned twice for the county cert. and for a dmv ambulance license.

JPINFV

Gadfly
When I went through the process I asked the exact same question and the response was that state privacy laws don't allow agencies to share information.

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
they are criminal records, and it is illegal to share criminal records. something along those lines.

personally, i think its kinda dumb, i mean, if they are MY criminal records, shouldn't I be able to authorize other people looking at them?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
heck you never know you might rob a bank in between getting your county card and getting your ADL :rolleyes:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
they are criminal records, and it is illegal to share criminal records. something along those lines.

personally, i think its kinda dumb, i mean, if they are MY criminal records, shouldn't I be able to authorize other people looking at them?

No, your criminal records are part of public record and you can find them on line at your court house website. You can also find arrest records with mug shots and traffic tickets.

The finger print scan confirms who you are and matches the correct records.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Another question on this topic:

When getting a livescan done for the LA county Cert, do i have to get the livescan done in LA county? or can i do it at a local Policestation/sheriffs office down here in Orange County?

OP
OP
J

jmunar

Forum Probie
Another question on this topic:

When getting a livescan done for the LA county Cert, do i have to get the livescan done in LA county? or can i do it at a local Policestation/sheriffs office down here in Orange County?

No, I'm pretty sure you can get it anywhere in California.

CARRERA

Forum Probie
If you're in Los Angeles, you will also need to get Los Angeles DOT Ambulance Attendant permit. I'm still trying to find out where you go for that and if you need Live Scan for that as well.

I heard that you really don't need it until you're hired and that some companies will pay for the fees. Anyone know if this is true?

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
The Los Angeles DOT won't give you the permit until you get hired with a company that provides additional training, then has management sign one of their forms saying they trained you. Then, you take it to downtown LA and get you license.

The "additional training" is ridiculous (stuff like CPR and first aid I think). It's basically lower quality version of what you got in EMT school. For many they just lie about it or the training is often a 19 year old EMT who gives you a CPR scenario and checks off your new hire training sheet.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Could California possibly make things any more complicated? I think they're just doing whatever they can to get as many fees out of y'all as possible.

Then again, your state, like mine, is broke. But we don't even pay a fee for the EMT cert. ;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
You know, I found getting initial licensure in Orange County to be relatively straight forward.

Course completion certification? Check
NREMT-B card? Check.
Live scan? Check.
CPR? Check.
$60 check for EMT and attendant license? Check.

Done. Now the only difference is for the attendant license/accreditation you have to take a similar course as in LACo.