Lights and sirens? & responding to a scene.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Of course, the whole "we'll meet them on the way" thing doesn't always go according to plan. And I have heard at least one story of a BLS unit being turned away at a Trauma Center because "no medics, no trauma." Even if ALS was not available or was further away from us than we were from the hospital.

THAT is a huge EMTALA violation. As well as a State Reg violation.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Round here, RLS saves 5+ minutes, easy.
However, use em when they are needed!
I just love the BLS crews that recall us (Medics), and then go screaming to the hospital RLS. :glare:
really? my favorite is when ALS releases the paid BLS crews, and then the crews use RLS and head to the hospital.

And I have heard at least one story of a BLS unit being turned away at a Trauma Center because "no medics, no trauma." Even if ALS was not available or was further away from us than we were from the hospital.
I throw the BS flag on that story. No hospital, esp a trauma center, would ever turn away a patient because there are no medics. it is a MAJOR EMTALA violation to have a hospital deny you access after you have arrived at their door requesting help. It sounds like an urban legend, and I highly doubt its actually true.

BTW, i love how people say EMS shouldn't use RLS. but FD need to use them for their calls (esp when they use them for cover assignments, when they are responding RLS to standby at another firehouse), and no one should every tell a LEO when he should or should not use his RLS.

or even better, when "management" still gets on your case with response times, but insists that certain calls don't allow RLS.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
really? my favorite is when ALS releases the paid BLS crews, and then the crews use RLS and head to the hospital.
Either way, it is ignorance, idiocy, and dangerous.

BTW, i love how people say EMS shouldn't use RLS. but FD need to use them for their calls (esp when they use them for cover assignments, when they are responding RLS to standby at another firehouse), and no one should every tell a LEO when he should or should not use his RLS.
Yet again, ignorance, idiocy, and dangerous.

or even better, when "management" still gets on your case with response times, but insists that certain calls don't allow RLS.
I see a theme emerging here...... ignorance, idiocy, and dangerous.
Private EMS, scabbing and sucking dry since it was billing started. :glare:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
THAT is a huge EMTALA violation. As well as a State Reg violation.

I am well aware. I should clarify that they were not "turned away" from the hospital, but rather sent to the regular ED, which was about 100 yards away.