Let's meet your dogs!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I wouldn't mind a beagle as our next do, I like their temperament.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I wouldn't mind a beagle as our next do, I like their temperament.
She is a blast. We had a DNA test done to see what she was. In her personality you can totally see the traits of both a Beagle and Australian Shepherd. Very energetic and loves to run and play, but also laid back. She herds groups of kids and is really watchful over them. Constantly wants to near her people, too.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I dont know much about dogs in all honesty, all the troopers dogs, and k-9 units if run into have belgian mals, and i love every single one of them. and when the day comes that i have a child, when i personally am not home i feel having a dog like that, where my child can command or my girlfriend(hopefully future wife), can command will put me at ease.

Definitely takes some training to get them to that point but they're inherently protective as are German Shepherds. My pup got ruled out for protection training because of her demeanor but a year and a half ago my roommate got shiesty with my fiancé and Benzo bit him bad.

Benzo: "Dad, you should probably just give me the rest of that chicken sandwich you're eating...it doesn't look very good at all..."

7f61c6496c661fff42213738109d67c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Definitely takes some training to get them to that point but they're inherently protective as are German Shepherds. My pup got ruled out for protection training because of her demeanor but a year and a half ago my roommate got shiesty with my fiancé and Benzo bit him bad.
I know nothing about dogs, or dog laws. I dont think I'd be all that caring if my dog attacked an intruder or somebody that was being "mean" to my family.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Rachel-dog; chill, but the sneakiest creature that I've ever known. She had to stay at my mom's when I moved out.:(
20151220_195157.jpg

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I reallllllly want a belgian malinois, but my girlfriend thinks the dog will be too big >.<

My next is gonna be a Mal or a Mal/Shep cross. They're generally smaller than Shepherds. But they definitely can get bigZ my friend fosters Mals for the military during their first 6 months of life. Definitely amazing dogs but as a pet you've gotta be prepared for the energy and put the work in to find one with the right temperament. If they're a working line good luck keeping them entertained as a house pet even with a huge yard and a friend and all the toys in the world.

Malinois are on 24/7. They never stop. They always have to be doing something. If they are awake, they have to have something to do.

My brother has one (K9 officer) and he's a great dog. Strong, fast, responds to commands perfectly. But their brains are different than other dogs, even different than a GSD. They are going a mile a minute. My brother has over an acre of fenced property, and he (the dog) will run for hours at a time. Not playing fetch, just running... by himself. And if you have multiple dogs, the Malinois will be the annoying little brother. "Wanna play? huh? huh? Wanna play? Come play with me!"

A GSD is much better, family friendly dog.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Malinois are on 24/7. They never stop. They always have to be doing something. If they are awake, they have to have something to do.

My brother has one (K9 officer) and he's a great dog. Strong, fast, responds to commands perfectly. But their brains are different than other dogs, even different than a GSD. They are going a mile a minute. My brother has over an acre of fenced property, and he (the dog) will run for hours at a time. Not playing fetch, just running... by himself. And if you have multiple dogs, the Malinois will be the annoying little brother. "Wanna play? huh? huh? Wanna play? Come play with me!"

A GSD is much better, family friendly dog.
Seems like my kinda dog :)! Now to buy a house in the middle of nowhere! Lol. this is wayyyyyy in the future but whenever I have kids I wanna get a dog saddle and have my kid ride the dog like the horse(when old enough and wrapped in bubble wrap ofc)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Seems like my kinda dog :)! Now to buy a house in the middle of nowhere! Lol. this is wayyyyyy in the future but whenever I have kids I wanna get a dog saddle and have my kid ride the dog like the horse(when old enough and wrapped in bubble wrap ofc)

Just don't let them ride a shepherd if you end up going that route. Terrible for their hips.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Just don't let them ride a shepherd if you end up going that route. Terrible for their hips.

I clearly still have some doggy research to do! I always found that boss as hell when a kid does that, it's awesome to me

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you want to do something goofy like that, get a HUGE dog.. a Great Dane or something.

That'll screw up a lab or GSD.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I clearly still have some doggy research to do! I always found that boss as hell when a kid does that, it's awesome to me

I'm a shepherd person if you haven't figured that out yet. Mals are awesome too, they tend to be smaller than GSDs so I'd doubt you'd want your kid riding one of them either.

The biggest thing I'll say and it sounds like you'd already do it without hearing it is to do your research about traits and characteristics of any breed you think you might want before you pull the trigger. Dogs don't deserve to be adopted then given up because their owner wasn't ready for the task of caring for them.

Not that you'd do something like that. More advice for the general audience than anything.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe

Then you need something like a Newie, a Sammy or a Greenie. Bear in mind though, they're originally bred for sled duty and thus have a rich, long coat and a VERY thick undercoat. Taking care of that is a serious chore.

I had dogs all my life. The last pair was a Sammy and a golden ret. It's been over 5 years now, but I don't feel I'm ready to make that commitment again. Not yet.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I'm a shepherd person if you haven't figured that out yet. Mals are awesome too, they tend to be smaller than GSDs so I'd doubt you'd want your kid riding one of them either.

The biggest thing I'll say and it sounds like you'd already do it without hearing it is to do your research about traits and characteristics of any breed you think you might want before you pull the trigger. Dogs don't deserve to be adopted then given up because their owner wasn't ready for the task of caring for them.
I know i definitely want a mal, i have loved any mal ive ever met!!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
The one on the recliner is Styker. He's a rescue I found at work. Yes, he's named after the gurney. We think he's a terrier chihuahua mix.

The big one is Kodiak, and the pup is Denali. Both purebred huskeys.

20161108_224316.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk