Legal Problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence Madore

Forum Ride Along
A little background before I ask the question. First of all, I have been an EMT for 25 plus years. Most of the time was as a volunteer. Started working for a County Ambulance Service in 2009. Completed a Paramedic course this month. NREMT Certification 4 days ago. State License today. I've been in constant communication with the director of the service and he has been extremely excited about me coming on as a Paramedic. Considerable shortage of medics in our area. At any rate, I was guaranteed a position in writing with a quote on the pay increase. I was told that as soon as I got my license I would be placed on a brief orientation.

Tonight I get an email that states that I can't practice as a medic until the start of the next pay period. The next pay period is 10 days out. HR refuses to backdate the certification to today because it is in the middle of a pay period.

This is where it get sticky. I'll be working on a two-man truck at night. A considerable number of calls have had multiple patients and at times we are sitting at Status 1 or worse. What do I do if I'm presented with the situation where I am the only provider available and the patient needs ALS interventions. I have a Duty to Act but I have been told "no" by my employer. If I breach that duty, I risk causing harm, losing my license and getting sued. They will not pay me to work as a medic and I am not to perform ALS skills. Where do I stand. I really don't want to have to explain this in court. I can't afford to lose my job because of some archaic HR / Payroll policy.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you are employed as an EMT then you act as an EMT. Once your employment changes to a medic then you are a medic.

There are a decent number of places that do that. For us our state fire department has a handful of BLS only engines. It may be staffed with 3 medics for the day but it is still BLS and they are only able to preform BLS skills.

OP
OP
L

Lawrence Madore

Forum Ride Along
Problem is that because of my license and NREMT certification as a paramedic I will beheld to a higher standard in front of a jury. HR status at my job won't likely make a difference.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Negative. It you are only employed as an EMT then you will only be held to that standard.

It all depends on what your job title and job description is.

Also: NREMT is not a license and does not make any difference. It is only a scale used by some states to say “you meet the education standard for a paramedic”.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Incorrect. You have not been employed or cleared to function as a paramedic by your employer and medical director, thus, you are not permitted to function as a paramedic. Your duty to act only extends to the boundaries that have been set for you.

Seriously, you're an experienced EMT and this is new to you?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We also do not offer legal advice on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.