Layperson Cric?

EMT B

Forum Captain
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KOiKeE0lUs[/YOUTUBE]

What are your thoughts on a layperson having the ability to have this device and use it without the proper training? Would this void good Samaritan?

How about an off duty emt/paramedic doing this outside their duty to act area?

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I certainly wouldn't want to do something like this. Not even for 'barn yard' vet medicine. I even remember a question on one exam that went something like "The vet sends you to the hardware store for (this) (that) and (the other thing) so he can do an emergency decompression of bloat. What else do you think might be useful?" If I could lay my hands on the notes from that class, I could give you the exact question, and the common items mentioned in it, but I can't remember which box has those notes. When I moved home from college, there were several boxes that I still haven't gotten around to unpacking.

Anyway, I think I put 'duct tape' as an answer. Because duct tape is very useful stuff.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
http://lifestatmedical.com

AND I QUOTE:

FDA Notice:

THE FDA AUTHORIZES THIS DEVICE FOR USE BY MEDICAL PERSONNEL, ONLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF ESTABLISHING AN EMERGENCY AIRWAY, AND IS NOT TO BE REUSED.

Video is a load of bollocks. The neck also contains the thyroid, four really major vessels, many pretty darn important vessels, vital nerves, and mobile skin over slick gristly tracheal rings. This may be connecting the head and torso of a panicky choking victim.

That said, a limited-length narrow inflexible device WITH TRAINING is better than Radar and Father Mulcahey, a Tom Mix pocket knife, and the barrel of a fountain (or ball-point) pen.
105300.jpg

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
There's no way that this falls under the scope of "Good Samaritan," unless the Samaritan happens to be Good Samaritan, MD, DO, PA-C, EMT-P, or CRNA.

I have (board certified) physician family members that carry this, more because they're neurotic parents than because they'd actually like to use it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have (board certified) physician family members that carry this, more because they're neurotic parents than because they'd actually like to use it.

All of the EM residents at my hospital and a couple of the attendings carry a scalpel on them while at work... just in case they need to do a surgical trache.

mycrofft

Nice stand your ground weapon though.:cool:

Achilles

Forum Moron
All of the EM residents at my hospital and a couple of the attendings carry a scalpel on them while at work... just in case they need to do a surgical trache.

But can they do it with a plastic knife on an airplane :ph34r:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

The doc version of being a Ricky Rescue.

mycrofft

Hate to be pulled over by a cop and that shows up.

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
W regards to the comment mentioning being pulled over w that on your keychain - i doubt many cops would know what it is. Bigger issues for them than a keychain cric kit.

Although if you are the doctor 'whacker' as mentioned above then just skip this whole thing and throw a scalpel in your everyday go bag. Better, multi use and sterile.
Although I'd argue that a doc would be better off carrying an amp of epi and a syringe...

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
That said, a limited-length narrow inflexible device WITH TRAINING is better than Radar and Father Mulcahey, a Tom Mix pocket knife, and the barrel of a fountain (or ball-point) pen.
105300.jpg

Best episode ever.

I won't be doing an e-cric anytime soon ---unless the zombies come and the world crumbles. In the land of the zombies, the EMT is king.