Las Vegas Employment?

kguy18

Forum Probie
Good luck! Let me know who did your testing...

OP
OP
T

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks, will do.

meick77

Forum Probie
KGUY, could you help me out

Hi Kguy, I'm a Medic in So. Cal. and am considering relocating to Las Vegas with my wife. I was wondering if you could tell me if there are man guys that stay with AMR in Vegas for a life long career. I'M kinda over the fire stuff and am looking for somewhere to be a medic as a career without trying to do the Fire stuff....Thanks if you have time I would love to hear about it/ any advice you may have. -Tyler

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
I have a couple friends that went directly from medic school to AMR Vegas. Both of them left within a year. You are running calls or holding the wall at the hospital the entire shift with little to no break in between. The weather is also very hot during the summers as I'm sure you know. If that's something you can accept and come to terms with then it may be a good fit.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Hey kguy or anyone else who knows. I left a voicemail with AMR Vegas and never got a reply. I'm a new grad medic passed registry and I'd really want to work medic west or AMR Vegas. I wasn't sure how to go about getting my Nevada certs. If anyone can point me in the right direction much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Haven't seen kguy active since this thread.

Northern Nevada http://health.nv.gov/EMS_EmergencyMedical.htm

Clark County (Vegas area) http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/ems/index.php

Rykiez is right, it's a busy area to work in. Just as busy as any other metro area. I have lots of coworkers that have worked for MW and/or AMR down there in the past, some loved it, others came up then decided they liked it better down there and went back and some hated it. Just like any EMS system.

They're no busier, as far as calls per unit, than we are in my system.

Holding the wall sucks but it can also get you a break as well. One partner watches the patient while the other one grabs some grub, catches up on charting, makes a phone call, whatever it may be, then you swap. There's no reason one crew can't watch two patients while the other crew grabs food from the cafeteria together real fast either. Just make sure you have each other's cell numbers.

It's just like spending your career at any other Private EMS agency. Some can do it others can't. Not a ton of room for vertical movement but there's some. Pretty sure they run system status management or a modified version of it. I know my old partner said you were generally assigned to an area but they'd move you to fill gaps then when that unit was available they'd send you back to where you came from. That was probably 5 years ago now though.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoleyArtist

Haven't seen kguy active since this thread.

Northern Nevada http://health.nv.gov/EMS_EmergencyMedical.htm

Clark County (Vegas area) http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/ems/index.php

Rykiez is right, it's a busy area to work in. Just as busy as any other metro area. I have lots of coworkers that have worked for MW and/or AMR down there in the past, some loved it, others came up then decided they liked it better down there and went back and some hated it. Just like any EMS system.

They're no busier, as far as calls per unit, than we are in my system.

Holding the wall sucks but it can also get you a break as well. One partner watches the patient while the other one grabs some grub, catches up on charting, makes a phone call, whatever it may be, then you swap. There's no reason one crew can't watch two patients while the other crew grabs food from the cafeteria together real fast either. Just make sure you have each other's cell numbers.

It's just like spending your career at any other Private EMS agency. Some can do it others can't. Not a ton of room for vertical movement but there's some. Pretty sure they run system status management or a modified version of it. I know my old partner said you were generally assigned to an area but they'd move you to fill gaps then when that unit was available they'd send you back to where you came from. That was probably 5 years ago now though.

thanks for the website. so i was reading the reciprocity link since i went to a californina paramedic program. (link below) i'm a little confused do i need a CA state card first because i am going to have send a "Request for Verification of Certification" to the state where a cert was held but i've only been an EMT in CA. or do i just fill out the "Application for Initial Certification/Licensure" since i've never held a paramedic state licensure anywhere else.

i have my registry card, acls , pals, phtls. the only thing i do not have that SNHD needs in the Weapons of Mass Destruction Training course and possibly that "Request for Verification of Certification"
http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/ems/documents/forms/ems04-57.pdf

FoleyArtist

AMR vegas gave me a call!

Hey everyone, AMR Vegas HR left me a message inviting me to come out and test. I don't wanna mess this up the Vegas division has been my #1 goal to land a job with and they called me back less than 24 hours after applying. I was wondering what i should expect? They said i can either make it next week or an undisclosed testing date in April. i was curious if there's an interview portion because if so I'd probably take the later date so i have time to gather some letter of rec's.

Any info greatly appreciated. thanks again.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Dont bother with letters, just get out there and blow them away. Remembe1r, a lot of it is a psych test, you have to show them thaf you, as a new paramedic, are able to make a big decision rapidly. However, AMR and MedicWest have been known to put new medics in EMT-I slots for several months before promoting them.

Have you considered a move to the Midwest? My agency is hiring like crazy. PM me for details.

kguy18

Forum Probie
Questions....hopefully some answers in here...

All sorry for being absent just been super busy, I have expanded on my last post about testing below. Any other questions feel free to ask.

thanks for the website. so i was reading the reciprocity link since i went to a californina paramedic program. (link below) i'm a little confused do i need a CA state card first because i am going to have send a "Request for Verification of Certification" to the state where a cert was held but i've only been an EMT in CA. or do i just fill out the "Application for Initial Certification/Licensure" since i've never held a paramedic state licensure anywhere else.

i have my registry card, acls , pals, phtls. the only thing i do not have that SNHD needs in the Weapons of Mass Destruction Training course and possibly that "Request for Verification of Certification"
http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/ems/documents/forms/ems04-57.pdf

You Do Not need to have your CA paramedic card in order to come out here as a paramedic who just graduated. You need to be done with didactic and clinical. Should you get hired with AMR/Medic West (testing is done for both, application are valid at both - all need dependent) HR will walk you through the process for obtaining a license. You will not be able to get your license in Southern Nevada without a letter of intent to hire from AMR Las Vegas HR. So for now just hang tight.

Question: Are you a currently licensed and working paramedic in California or did you just finish school?

Hey everyone, AMR Vegas HR left me a message inviting me to come out and test. I don't wanna mess this up the Vegas division has been my #1 goal to land a job with and they called me back less than 24 hours after applying. I was wondering what i should expect? They said i can either make it next week or an undisclosed testing date in April. i was curious if there's an interview portion because if so I'd probably take the later date so i have time to gather some letter of rec's.

Any info greatly appreciated. thanks again.

Congrats! You are a lucky one! We are extremely short on medics as we just lost a few more to Clark County Fire for their next academy. Also there has been so much OT available I have been raking in the "big bucks" :) but once we get back to par staffing levels some of that will dry up.

Ok to answer your question here is how testing is conducted:

1. You and the others selected will be placed in a room and handed a multiple choice test appropriate for your level. You will be testing with people who are Basic to Paramedic. Should you pass the test, you will then advance to scenarios. - Written test study suggestion: this is not an impossible test but it is geared toward weeding out the dumb dumbs there are simple questions like NREMT which involve ABCs before all else and there are patho questions as well as ekg strips and if I remember correctly a 12-lead. (I just had to retake it last September when I got rehired out here). - Should you pass you will advance to scenarios. Should you fail you will not be allowed to move on and have to wait (I think) 2 weeks or a month before retaking/reapplying.

2. Scenarios - This consists of a medical and trauma. It is LITERALLY National Registry style, we use the exact same sheets for grading. For the sake of fairness (and allowing element of suprise) I can not give specific examples of the scenarios. But I can tell you you NEED to know your protocols. Find protocols here http://www.snhd.info/ems/documents/ems/bls-ils-als-protocol-manual.pdf Also treat aggressively!! Dont be afraid to use your ALS drugs/skills

3. Skills - You will have to complete skills associated with your level. This is pretty laid back and low stress.

4. Interview - Standard interview questions for a public safety worker, If you have been hired by AMR or a similar transport company in the past this should be a breeze. I would however NOT wear shorts and a t-shirt to this testing, they say it is ok and I am sure it is but looking professional gives you major points so bring some fancy clothes for your trip.

Should you pass all this - and we have a high failure rate it was 70% failure for Paramedic applicants in the September 2012 orientation I was in - you should get a conditional offer letter with salary and benefits specifics. If you are a NEW medic just out of school they might offer you an EMT-Intermediate position for a period of 3-6 months to allow you to get familiar with the system and protocols. If this happens take the job!! You will challenge the national registry test and get certified as an EMT-I. They will offer you your paramedic internship after the period set, this is just to save time and heartache by not putting you in an internship you are not ready for. Its a little different if you have been a medic for 2+ years in a busy 911 system as you will only have to develop your driving and hospital location skills not your medical skills.

Any other questions feel free to ask, I will make my best effort to check this thread more often. I also subscribed to it so I should get email notifications.

kguy18

Forum Probie
Hi Kguy, I'm a Medic in So. Cal. and am considering relocating to Las Vegas with my wife. I was wondering if you could tell me if there are man guys that stay with AMR in Vegas for a life long career. I'M kinda over the fire stuff and am looking for somewhere to be a medic as a career without trying to do the Fire stuff....Thanks if you have time I would love to hear about it/ any advice you may have. -Tyler

Hi Tyler,

We do have a high turnover rate from those matriculating to fire or changing careers or trying another system. It is a really fun system, its busy, there are a lot of sick people and a lot more not sick people. It is as much like any other EMS system and yet is so different. Being from California the lack of base contact you will need to make and the amount of out of the box thinking you will employ while working in Vegas will be super fun!

I worked out in Vegas for 2 years and then left to work out in NorCal, long story short I didn't like it up there so I moved back. I am not the only medic to do this, lots of people will work here, burn out, leave, realize they miss it, and come back. I have a really positive attitude about my job but I also take AMR and them telling me I mean something to them with a grain of salt. (read: you don't) I am having a blast and not letting dispatch annoy me. If your interested in a fast pace environment with old ambulances, hot weather, cranky fire fighters, a 50/50 chance of transporting in Las Vegas City zones during the day, and the ability to use your head and training on a daily basis. You will love it out here.

I have a couple friends that went directly from medic school to AMR Vegas. Both of them left within a year. You are running calls or holding the wall at the hospital the entire shift with little to no break in between. The weather is also very hot during the summers as I'm sure you know. If that's something you can accept and come to terms with then it may be a good fit.

Fact is you will run your butt off. No doubt about it. But that doesn't mean it will happen everyday. The city has its quiet moments just like any other. As for holding the wall, this is simply not true any more. The average offload of a patient is around 30 minutes. We could offload in 5 if the ED is empty or hang tight for an hour at say UMC which is the busy county hospital. The days of paying paramedics to sit in the hallways of hospitals is long over. There are 13 local hospitals we transport to and when one or two goes on internal disaster (will not accept ambulance patients) the other hospitals get slammed but tend to do a good job of absorbing the load.

The weather is hot. Period. I completely agree in going with what Rykielz was saying keep in mind that we are not using brand new ambulances with nice new A/C (see Rural/Metro Santa Clara County EMS). Our ambulances are kept and run into the ground until they hit 300k miles. That being said they all have "working" A/C. A working A/C is defined as cooling the cab or patient compartment 20 degrees less than the ambient temperature. If the temp is 112 your still chilling at 92 in the back. Oh and that doesn't count for the sun beating down on the truck which can easily increase the temp by 10 degrees. As a new employee to this company do not expect to be in a new truck, you will be in the beater that needs miles added to it.

On a positive note, all ALS 911 ambulances with the exception of 2 are equipped with stryker powerpro gurneys. :)

RocketMedic

Is medicwest still running the type 2s for ift?

EMSA is fantastic by comparison- we own medical here, fire supports us.

kguy18

Forum Probie
Yep! AMR has a couple Type II as well...

Oh the joys of BLS fire.... makes life so much easier.

RocketMedic

Oh, we've got ALS fire here too, but EMSA runs everything. My last 'worked' cardiac arrest involved me running the monitor. You know how you take orders and direction from CCFD/LVFD/NLVFD? Yeah...we don't do that here. EMSA runs the show here in Oklahoma City.

Our oldest rig is a 2008 F-450 Traumahawk with 280,000ish miles. Most of ours are newer.

We make, on average, $41-45k/year with average hours. With the relatively cheap living here, it doesn't suck.

I'm actually really starting to like it here.

kguy18

Forum Probie
That's pretty sweet! The way it works for codes is whoever gets on scene first gets to run it. And most the time it's a collaborative effort, not just a you do this type thing. Just my experience

RocketMedic

I like it here.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Does AMR and MedicWest get to see and run calls on very injuryed and sick patients or do the Fire Departments run the show for these patients and due the transportation for them in Las Vegas?