Lapsed NREMT-P

ranz

Forum Ride Along
I was an NREMT-P (and instructor) for almost 20 years. After becoming a PA, the state of California would not accept my CME (even though it was critical care) as is was not provided by an EMS agency. Sorry, but I need 50 hours a year of CME that is approved by the AMA or a national PA organization to keep licensed and getting additional Paramedic CME was just not possible. I've moved out of California now and the state I'm in relies on the national registry for all certification. I continued to instruct for a couple of years after getting my PA but eventually my certificate lapsed. Now it's been 20 years. For the last 20 years I have been doing cardiothoracic surgery and critical care. I manage critical patients in the ICU pre- and post- cardiac surgery, including all of the meds, vent settings, performing invasive procedures like chest tubes, central line, balloon pumps, trachs, and ACLS, when needed. In the OR, I harvest vein and artery for bypass, assist in all types of surgery from CABG through LVADs and transplant, and can open and close the chest. I am also a pilot and have recently joined the Civil Air Patrol, who wants me to take a lead role in their Emergency Services. I am interested in regaining my NREMT-P in that regard so when were out on a search and rescue mission, I perform at the Paramedic level. I'd also like to get back into instructing. How do I do this sans re-taking the full NREMT-P course again?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
great question!!! and sounds like an impressive job you have. As for your question, I direct you to the national registry website https://www.nremt.org/rwd/public/document/policy-certification:

Entry and/or re-entry into the National Registry may be granted to a previously state licensed or Nationally Certified Paramedic (NRP) provided you:
  1. Officially document completion of a DOT Paramedic (NRP) Training Program after January 1, 1977. *
  2. Show satisfactory evidence to the National Registry of prior state licensure at the Paramedic (NRP) level.
  3. Have current ACLS provider or instructor credential.
  4. Completed either PHTLS or ITLS as a provider or instructor within the past two (2) years.
  5. Have completed a state-approved Paramedic (NRP) refresher; or 48 hours of equivalent continuing education covering the mandatory and flexible core content topics specified; or the NCCP National Component module, within the past two years.
  6. Have a letter of approval from the state EMS office in the state where you work or are to work. The letter should show the state's support for you to obtain state licensure through this process.
  7. Successfully complete the National Registry Paramedic (NRP) cognitive and psychomotor examinations.
* All candidates for National Registry’s National EMS Certification at the Paramedic level whose Paramedic program began on or after January 1, 2013 must have successfully completed Paramedic education from an accredited program sponsored by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or one who held a valid Letter of Review (LOR) issued by the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).

Summit

Critical Crazy
Welcome to the forum. I think Dr. P nailed it. I hope that works for you because you sound like the type of instructor EMS needs. You'll find this forum is has many EMS workers who went on to PA/CRNA/MD/RN/ETC but still are involved with EMS. Hope you stick around!

OP
OP
R

ranz

Forum Ride Along
Thanks to both of you for your replies. @Summit , I will be residing/ working in billings Montana from late February till mid July. I see you're from Montana. Perhaps you'd help me navigate the Montana system. I can be reached directly at ranz@earthlink.net.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Welcome to the forum.
I hope the NREMT will work with you, I’d follow the trail from post #2 and with any luck you can get an NREMT registration by challenging the exams.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I was an NREMT-P (and instructor) for almost 20 years. After becoming a PA, the state of California would not accept my CME (even though it was critical care) as is was not provided by an EMS agency. Sorry, but I need 50 hours a year of CME that is approved by the AMA or a national PA organization to keep licensed and getting additional Paramedic CME was just not possible. I've moved out of California now and the state I'm in relies on the national registry for all certification. I continued to instruct for a couple of years after getting my PA but eventually my certificate lapsed. Now it's been 20 years. For the last 20 years I have been doing cardiothoracic surgery and critical care. I manage critical patients in the ICU pre- and post- cardiac surgery, including all of the meds, vent settings, performing invasive procedures like chest tubes, central line, balloon pumps, trachs, and ACLS, when needed. In the OR, I harvest vein and artery for bypass, assist in all types of surgery from CABG through LVADs and transplant, and can open and close the chest. I am also a pilot and have recently joined the Civil Air Patrol, who wants me to take a lead role in their Emergency Services. I am interested in regaining my NREMT-P in that regard so when were out on a search and rescue mission, I perform at the Paramedic level. I'd also like to get back into instructing. How do I do this sans re-taking the full NREMT-P course again?

So I was only lapsed by about 10 years at the time and still working as an active paramedic, but I needed to get mine back for a flight job..

1. I had to take a 48 hour refresher (I paid $200 to take an "online" class, which was really just them sending me the powerpoints and some quizzes)
2. I had to get someone to do my psychomotor skills checkoffs
3. I had to retake the NR paramedic written exam.

It all took me a few weeks, wasn't really that bad.. But call them, they deal with lapsed certs all the time.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
So I was only lapsed by about 10 years at the time and still working as an active paramedic, but I needed to get mine back for a flight job..

1. I had to take a 48 hour refresher (I paid $200 to take an "online" class, which was really just them sending me the powerpoints and some quizzes)

It all took me a few weeks, wasn't really that bad.. But call them, they deal with lapsed certs all the time.
Solid advice from 1st hand experience. 👍

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

As long as you've been continuously licensed as a Paramedic, this is a valid method for doing the recert. I've been lapsed on my NREMTP for nearly 20 years but since I've been licensed the entire time, I can still challenge the exam and regain NREMT certification as a Paramedic... not that I particularly need that at the moment... but I could do it.