Knot in stomach

iwannahelppeople

Forum Probie
Hey all!!

I am a fairly new EMT and on son calls I have never done before I get knits in my stomach responding there..... Normal? Dies it show I dont know what I am doing? I am confident in my skills. Input and advice much appreciated!

Chris

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I still get them, especially on certain calls. It gets better.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Kids, especially pedi arrests, knot my guts up. I'd say it gets easier, but a few knots keep you from getting cocky and complacent.

OP
OP
I

iwannahelppeople

Forum Probie
So the knots are a good thing? Because whenever I get then I think of everything I need to do in my head before we get sons scene

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Just didn't trust me now huh? :p;)

I think it shows a few things, but neither of them is that you don't know what you're doing. It shows that you're worried about how you will act and the care that you'll provide, which is a good thing! It also shows that you just don't have a lot of experience with emergency calls yet, which isn't a bad thing.

All of us get the feeling every now and then (myself included). There are some calls like others have said that really get us nervous (for example, I don't like the "man down" calls). Since you're still new to doing emergency calls, don't beat yourself up over it.

Try to concentrate on something else while you're driving there, such as helping your partner navigate (or not get into an accident) or looking over the computer for more information about the call. Once you get to the scene, take a moment to yourself before you get out. If the patient is so unstable that they can't wait a few seconds for you to collect your thoughts, they're probably in deep enough trouble that nothing anybody does on scene will change the outcome (with few exceptions). I'm not sure how you feel once you get on scene, but realize that the VAST majority of the time, you don't have to rush around: be methodical and slow, but move with a purpose and move quickly when needed. Keeping yourself slow will calm you down.

Hope this helps man!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I. Hate. Breathers.

After more than two years in the field running ~1600 calls/year I still get giddy when tones drop for a "Priority 1 Breathing Problem".

Pedi arrests put me in go mode, some might call me heartless but on those calls if I'm freaking out on the inside or worrying I can't focus. Too much math to be stressing about something else.

medicasaurus

Forum Probie
Remember breathing is your connection to the autonomic nervous system... when your feeling amped up/shaky just remember to take some deep breaths. All of us can only do so much in a given situation; sometimes outcomes are good, sometimes not.