Key Safety Features

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Beyond the standard KKK-1822F requirements, are there any specific safety features you'd expect to see in a vehicle? I'm thinking about things like 360-degree external cameras, internal cameras, external rub rail lighting, four-point restraints. Anything critical you'd like to see?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Better drivers?

Seriously, being a truck driver I've learned that some of the newer safety features like forward collision avoidance, automatic emergency braking, etc...have some inherent flaws in them. They often engage on false postives (like braking hard to avoid a collision as you go under a bridge or around a curve) regardless of road conditions or weather. They also tend to induce a false sense of security and safety in the drivers, who come to rely on them in lieu of good, safe driving habits.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be going away.

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Solving for better drivers is definitely a challenge. I was looking to push for 4x4 drivetrain for getting unstuck and shorter boxes for ease of maneuver.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My honda CRV have some awesome safety features that I wish were in ambulances:
Backup cameras, with prediction lines when you are turning
blindspot sensors
automatic forward collision alerts and stopping
drowsy driver detection

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Beyond what has been mentioned:

Driving: Lane keep assist, commai.ai self-driving-like features (including awareness features)
Lifting: Stryker Power-LOAD
Patient compartment: Location for everything to be secured

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
We definitely will have PowerLoad - it's a nonstarter in our agency to not have it.
One problem we do have is overstocking - I am also interested in pushing for soft storage but we shall see if that is viable.