Ked

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Once in 7 years, on a pt. who rolled her vehicle. The car came to a stop at a 45 degree angle up against a tree, no way to get a bboard in, KED was the only way we could extricate.

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member
Aside from trainings, I can only recall one time in three years that I have used a KED. It was for a lady who was in the back seat of a pickup (think jumpseat) and there was no possible way of getting a LSB back there. Aside from that, the KED remains generally untouched.

kosovamedic

Forum Ride Along
I remember that last yerar I asked my Boss to bring this tool to our unit, but i got a strange question,:
Who will use it?
I said, me...
He was smiling, and after said,You will never need it....
but he was not right, because we needed it only after three nights..
What to do, the life is like that....

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I use it fairly often. It doesn't take long to apply and makes packaging easy.

We also have Oregon Spine Boards, like a KED, only better.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I use it fairly often. It doesn't take long to apply and makes packaging easy.

We also have Oregon Spine Boards, like a KED, only better.

Can you maybe post some pictures of the Oregon Spine Boards? Never heard of them

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
KED? What's That?

I'll have to remember that site, haha

But, back on topic, I was told the same thing, that I would never use it. But in the past four or five months, I've used it probably 3-4 times. It's useful when you're at and awkward angle and can't get a backboard in a prime spot. I've also used it on patients with chronic back problems. (Had a guy who had spinal fusions and fell outside, and sat down in his car. Used the KED to get him out of the car so that he was a bit more "comfortable.") When you need it, it's real nifty. Otherwise, I've never really seen regular situations to use it. It's hit or miss.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
learned how to use it in class, never used it in the field and never seen it used in the field

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
learned how to use it in class, never used it in the field and never seen it used in the field

Maybe you can be the person at your service that starts using the KED. How about talking to your boss about an in service/refresher on when and why the KED is a valuable tool.

Things don't change unless someone takes the bull by the horns.

Hockey

Quackers
My random basic skill for medic was KED. Everyone (even the proctor who was there previously told me) said they always do long board.

I practiced one time in EMT school. One time in Medic school. Always with help.

Talk about pucker factor. But then I realized its really all common sense. Never used it in the field. Saw it once before prior to our arrival was already on.

I think KED and I are about to begin a long good relationship

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When i was a firefighter explorer we used the KED on most of the MVC that we were called to. personally i feel that once the KED is on it makes moving the Pt much easier (because of the handles). And when the Ked is on the Firefighters would have to cut less of the car up (saving time to get the Pt transported) And when i started the EMT program we did the KED countless times.

Dr.T

Forum Probie
Over here in Germany we have only KED for vehicle extrication.
Longboards are slowly beginning to spread here.
Scoop stretchers have a long history here....
That's why I probably could apply KED all blindfolded and upside down, 'cuz I've used it that many times.
There's basically no delay of transport, if you know the bits and pieces of KED :)
I like it actually......

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Around here, folks are also afraid of the KED. I wish I could use it more.

I met Rick Kendrick last year (@EMSToday). He's an awesome, down to earth guy. He pointed out that it's also useful as a Pt. Transfer device when the Pt. Is in a weird position - like a lift assist out of a bathtub.

If anyone has actual questions for him, PM me and I'll seek him out at EMSToday this year.

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member
I met Rick Kendrick last year (@EMSToday). He's an awesome, down to earth guy. He pointed out that it's also useful as a Pt. Transfer device when the Pt. Is in a weird position - like a lift assist out of a bathtub.

Interestingly enough, I used a KED to extricate a patient off of a toilet in a very small bathroom just the other day. It would have sucked to get a reeves or a LSB in there. +1 for the KED.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
KED is used all the time, mostly by me, mostly cause when the FDgets on scene they can be a bit rough with the patient. it also gives me something to do if im th weasel and not cutting

Then we put them on vaccuum matresses, which kick any LSB or scoops butt