KED vs. Spineboard

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Does the KED really take THAT much longer? Thinking about it.. It would make immobilization much quicker... It seems like people don't use it or like it because it doesn't get used often and the lack of practice makes it "slow".

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Man I've been on tons of TC"s. In different counties and cities. Never has anyone used the KED. I guess that's not something to be saying =/ but its the truf

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You still have to place the patient on a LSB even with a KED on. So it doesn't really make immobilization any quicker.

It does seem to me that the only reason the KED is a "slow" process is because people aren't familiar with it.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
You still have to place the patient on a LSB even with a KED on. So it doesn't really make immobilization any quicker.

It does seem to me that the only reason the KED is a "slow" process is because people aren't familiar with it.

Why do you need the LSB with a KED? Just as an extrication tool?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
KED and Spineboard, are both retarded procedures/treatments.

Notice there is not a single KED or spineboard in a hospital... They use collars thats it.

9/10 MVAs are total BS. People complain of nonsense pain, which they may have, but its not a spinal injury.

The first thing anyone does when they get in an MVA and aren't actually injured substantially, is get out and see how bad their car was damaged. That said, they have already spent a few minutes ambulating prior to your arrival and sat back in the car to wait for you.

If someone TRULY has pain, they aren't going to try and exacerbate it by moving their body. They will do a damn good job of sitting the hell still on their own if they have real pain.

Also, many times we apply the devices improperly, and often they do damage to the patients with real injuries. A flat board is not a sufficient splint for a curved spine unless you really take the time to pad the proper areas. We also suck at putting collars on properly.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Why? I know you teach skills; are you basing that just off the skill sheets?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I am pretty sure a KED is also considered to be a full immobilization device independent of a LSD in some areas. There is no spine in your legs...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
My point exactly.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
I use the KED quite a bit.

Outside of MVAs I use it on pts that need to be manually moved and perhaps lack a good way to get a grip.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I've used it twice out here on BLS.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Why do you need the LSB with a KED? Just as an extrication tool?

The KED is only designed for short transfer movements, such as extrication, once on it would not be prudent to remove prior to the LSB.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The KED is only designed for short transfer movements, such as extrication, once on it would not be prudent to remove prior to the LSB.

Says who?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

But why put them on the lsb at all. Leave the board out of the equation.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why? I know you teach skills; are you basing that just off the skill sheets?

Per national NREMT skills test for immobilization of a seated patient they have to be moved onto a LSB.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
But why put them on the lsb at all. Leave the board out of the equation.

Exactly. The KED is made to be hooked onto a crane / tow truck to lift (race car) drivers out of mangled cars straight up.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Per national NREMT skills test for immobilization of a seated patient they have to be moved onto a LSB.

NREMT also says everybody needs high flow o2.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I am pretty sure a KED is also considered to be a full immobilization device independent of a LSD in some areas. There is no spine in your legs...

That would not be according to the manufacturer recommendations, and the leg bone is connected to the hip bone, blah rest of song.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Just went through the manufacturer's manual. Never once did it say that the ked HAD to be used on a lsb.

etacalpha

Forum Probie
Is there any research showing the use of KED to improve the outcome of spinal injuries? I honestly don't know but I do know that here they aren't used very much.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Is there any research that shows the lsb as beneficial to spine injuries?