just sayin hey...and dropping a quick question..

abnmed82

Forum Ride Along
hey all i just joined this forum and am looking forward to getting some useful knowledge and good conversation out of it. a lil about me- im a combat medic in the army currently in iraq. after im done with the army i was thinking of trying to get a flight medic position or possibly a ff/paramedic job somewhere.

my question is this...like i said im currently in iraq and ill be here another 8 months or so. i was wondering if there was a way for me to start working towards my emt-p while deployed. between missions we have a lot of downtime so if its possible i would have sufficient time to complete assignments etc...any feedback on this would be awesome....thanks

Medivixen

Forum Crew Member
My bf was also a combat medic about 4 yrs ago. He wanted to do the same thing and get his civilian license. None of his training for the army counted for anything besides good to know knowledge. He had to do all the training over again like anyone else.
This doesnt really answer yer question since I have no idea how it works in the states. In Canada you would physically need to attend class at one point or another. They do offer the program casual basis like every second weekend and the rest is do it yourself with PCP. Regarding medic it is full time.
Perhaps if you needed some pre-reqs you may be able to do them distance ed.
Good luck

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
First of all, welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction.

Secondly, thanks for serving your country.

Now on to your question. I happened to meet a couple of NG medics a few years ago. They said they were able to get their NREMT-P through their combat medic course. My advice would be to check with your Education Service Office and see if there's a program that would allow you to challenge the NREMT. If that fails, try to get college accreditation for your military service. This should allow you to get credit for some of your pre-reqs.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and stay safe.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I can't help answer your question, but I did want to welcome you to our little family here on the net and thank you and all those with you in Iraq for all that you do. Stay safe!

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
First welcome to our little family we put the FUN in dysFUNctional...

I remember attending my EMT classes we had a combat Medic (Well two) in there none of their training counted for it and they had to redo everything..that was in SC things may have changed since then but good luck on trying to find out...

OP
OP
A

abnmed82

Forum Ride Along
well i have my nremt-b right now but we do procedures that are way above that level...but since military med is way different than civilian med i imagine the only thing that would count is my emt...what other pre-reqs are there? i was under the impression that emt-b was the only pre req? thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone. and about those NG medics who said they got their emt-p thru the army i think they were pulling your leg because the only way to do it that i know of is to go thru the SOCM (special ops combat medic) course and even then you have to challenge the natl registry on your own dime. but who knows...ill check into it. i had earned a slot in the SOCM course but then i got sent to iraq last minute so now thats out of the question unless i re-enlist (never gonna happen)....thanks for the info tho everyone

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
well i have my nremt-b right now but we do procedures that are way above that level...but since military med is way different than civilian med i imagine the only thing that would count is my emt...what other pre-reqs are there? i was under the impression that emt-b was the only pre req? thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone. and about those NG medics who said they got their emt-p thru the army i think they were pulling your leg because the only way to do it that i know of is to go thru the SOCM (special ops combat medic) course and even then you have to challenge the natl registry on your own dime. but who knows...ill check into it. i had earned a slot in the SOCM course but then i got sent to iraq last minute so now thats out of the question unless i re-enlist (never gonna happen)....thanks for the info tho everyone

We help train the socm guys, they're really cool and man do they know some neat stuff. Most paramedic programs around here only require emt-b as a prerequisite. To be a flight paramedic usually requires more than just a nremt-p certificate. Usually those slots are reserved for the better paramedics and especially those with a wide variety of experience (ex. rural ems, high volume and violence urban ems, and a lot of hospital experience especially in the ccu. So, i doubt you'll have a flight paramedic job anytime soon but I guarantee your military experience will help you stand out when the time comes to apply.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
and about those NG medics who said they got their emt-p thru the army i think they were pulling your leg because the only way to do it that i know of is to go thru the SOCM (special ops combat medic) course and even then you have to challenge the natl registry on your own dime. but who knows...ill check into it.

That may be, but they were wearing NREMT patches on their flight suits (they were part of the SD NG Medevac unit just outside of Rapid City). They also said they had to pay for the test themselves.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It is also my understanding through multiple people and online research that any medical training as an EMT/Medic in the military does not apply to civilian EMT training, especially the NREMT. Again, I'm sure there are exceptions, as there always are, but I don't know of any.

Take care and be safe!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
It is also my understanding through multiple people and online research that any medical training as an EMT/Medic in the military does not apply to civilian EMT training, especially the NREMT. Again, I'm sure there are exceptions, as there always are, but I don't know of any.

Take care and be safe!

I had a student in my EMT class who was a full medic in the army. I couldn't believe that our state didn't accept military training. But he had to go through it all over again. Some people have asked about an online program coming available in the future, maybe that might be something for you to look into? Good Luck and Thankyou for all you do!!!

Oh and by the way...

:) :) :) Welcome!!! :) :) :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've heard from different folks that the the military 91-B will qualify you for the NREMT-B OR the NREMT-P. Different folks say different things.

I used to run with a Navy Corpsman who got out around 2000. He spent several years in, and did a lot of time with some of the Marine Force Recon guys (He was, um... wired different after getting out of the service;)). He was a Medic, he said that he had been given the chance to test for medic, but turned it down. He did take an area medic program and got his NREMT-P. He said he was glad he didn't challenge the test, because he didn't have ANY training in the "medical" side of things... CHF, COPD, Etc... He knew EVERYTHING trauma, but didn't know anything about cronic medical problems... because the NAVY dosen't see that.