Just Me or Is EMS Filled With Man-:censored:s??

BrandoEMT

Forum Crew Member
So EMS around my area has a reputation for being quite sexually promiscuous. Medics sleeping with student riders, medics who are teaching the class sleeping with students. Partners sleeping with partners, divorces left and right. Is it just my area or is this the same for everyone else?

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
I think its in any field. People just spread the word more when it sounds more shocking. OMG a priest raped a boy!

Like who cares if a lawyer rapes a boy, we all expect something like that from the behaviors of lawyers anyway. It just won't make the news.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think EMS/Fire/Law Enforcement have LOTS of problems... why? We work shift work, do "crazy" things (like run into burning buildings), and see things on a regular basis that most people never see (DOA's, Really bad DOAs, elder abuse, etc). Many people in EMS/Fire/Law Enforcement relate better to our co-workers than our families - think about it... when you go home and are asked "how was your day" do you relate the messy DOA in extreme detail? But at the firehouse, when the oncoming shift relives you... and they ask how your day was you say "Man...we had this really stinky DOA last night... you should have seen it."

In Kansas City, 2 EMS providers were killed in 2005 by the woman's husband. I belive it was an abusive situation, the female EMT was going through a divorce and was involved with her male EMS partner... there'd been threats to them by the husband, and they were being very careful, wearing body armor, etc... he gained access into the station and killed them both while they were on-duty together.

So... in the end - if you work long shifts, with the same partner... you see more of each other than you do your spouse(s). It is very common for relationships to develop.

"If this ambulance is a' rocking, don't come a' knocking..." ;)

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
We have a lot of couples who met on the job and got married. I guess they can actually talk about exactly how their day went and have their spouse completely understand the ins and outs of a crappy call or day.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
BrandoEMT said:
So EMS around my area has a reputation for being quite sexually promiscuous. Medics sleeping with student riders, medics who are teaching the class sleeping with students. Partners sleeping with partners, divorces left and right. Is it just my area or is this the same for everyone else?

It is the same everywhere. More where there are 24 hour shifts I think. Mainly because of the "quite time" when there is down time. Close nit discussions lead to inappropriate intimacy.

There have been some long lasting relationships formed in EMS, but a lot of the ones I know of have ended.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Just going to add my 2 cents....

It's not unusual for partner to "hook up".... is it right....? depends on if "outside" spouses are involved or if thery are "hooking up on the clock". Here's a thought, what happens to the working relationship, when the "romance" is ended?

It's slightly less usual for Instructors / Preceptors to hook up with students, and as an instructor with years of experience, I don't think it should be condoned, glossed over or ignored. I don't allow any outside "relationships" (other than pre-existing friendships or family stuff) between my students and the preceptors and Instructors that work for me.... has it ever happened.. ?yep, and that instructor no longer teaches for me. We're still friends, but I can't trust her with my students.

You're not crazy... it happens, and for all of those reasons listed above.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Clearly you have never worked in an incestuous call center. Yup. Customer service/technical support call centers are notorious for "tha hook up."

:)

So, to answer your question, no, it's not just EMS. Us men are pigs. :D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
rcmedic said:
Clearly you have never worked in an incestuous call center. Yup. Customer service/technical support call centers are notorious for "tha hook up."
My now-ex-g/f and I met working at an ADT alarm monitoring center. :unsure:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
We actually got warned about this situation in EMT class and Orientation. Thankfully I can talk to Jay about this stuff and we've been married long enough to know our communication "needs." But it's easy to see how thing could "just happen" at the station.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This happens a lot in EMS .. even nicknamed "extra marital sex". Unfortunately, we do work a lot of weird hours, placed in weird compromising situations, and see and deal with a lot of things the "normal" person cannot or does not understand.

However; I see a lot of behavior because it is promoted, or accepted that would never be allowed in other working environments. As well, many use above reason for excuses to have "affairs or relationships". I can truthfully say in my 29 years, I have only seen one or two of EMS relationships ever lasting. Even those one of the persons left EMS. EMT's are unfortunately labeled as such with good reasons. Again, I feel many use their job as an excuse for their behavior.

Relationships in EMS (with other EMT's) is very difficult, t (I know I had been married twice.. both medics from different agencies) talking shop and yes there appears to be some form of competition (just look at forums). If they are from the same service the difficulty increases. Every one will know if there is problems, breaking up, causes difficulties on related personal as well, even management. That is why I always recommend not to to have intra-office/ employee dating. Everyone pays for it...

For as an instructor, I tend to be strict on instructors. If they date after completion etc.... it is allowed, fraternizing with a student is automatic termination.

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Two nights ago this came up in the car as I was riding with the CEO of the service I work for. It was me, the CEO, and the office assistant.

The CEO attributed it to normal "job" stuff. I attributed it to our stryker cots. If we had Fernos, I just couldn't see it happening. :)

disassociative

Forum Captain

Wonders if sex with co-workers counts as Critical Incident Stress debriefing(pun intended).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
disassociative said:
Wonders if sex with co-workers counts as Critical Incident Stress debriefing(pun intended).
Thats not funny.... well, it is, but....

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
MedicStudentJon said:
Thats not funny.... well, it is, but....

Hmm... not sure about the whole CISD thing but I am sure that someone could consider it sexual harassment and give the lawyers months worth of work out of it...

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
FFEMT1764 said:
Hmm... not sure about the whole CISD thing but I am sure that someone could consider it sexual harassment and give the lawyers months worth of work out of it...

Hrm. I don't know if it's sexual harassment if you ask them nicely first and they say yes. ;-)

Pouncing your partner when they're not expecting it will most likely get you into deep trouble.