jobs before EMS

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tried looking for older threads and didnt find anything related. Its interesting to see what people did before ems. I worked for a major instrument retailer, after 4.5 years of working there and I have realized that its time to bounce. Quit my job in October so that I could focus on school and thats it. As of now I am waiting for my state card to get here and gonna apply at more places.

They're there, but "SEARCH" is wonky.

Um, driver/warehouse for a pet and feed store, gypped gas stations out of recapable tires for a used tire store, McDonalds flipper, packer/shipper in a factory, unemployed, then either FD, student or EMT and/or nurse along with military. Embedded in the early days was my first EMS-like job, first aid/lifesaver and dockhand at a concession in the San Bernardino Mountains for one summer.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Grocery store bagger
Paintball shop/field manager
EMTB for a private service
911 fire/EMS dispatcher then part time medic for county 911 service
Current medic job

Mixed in all that was volly fire and ambulance.

CGULL

Forum Ride Along
I worked at Costco for a while. Didn't work out well then I went to EMT school!

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
kmart
cashier
worker at a boat manufacturer
home cleaning service
service dept in rv dealership
private service home health care
waitress
bartender
medical transport

All this while raising a family and doing volly work at ems service. Now I work at 2 ems depts and still doing a day or so a week at rv dealership

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Fast Food Manager, sadly enough I made more doing that

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I've said too much.

But if you've been there since 1997, we've probably met.
Where'd you stay?

Sleepy Hollow in Three Point. I want to say 2002-2008. In 2008 (maybe 2007 I can't remember) all I did was the BSA Lifeguard course, which along with a MFR course taken the same year through a Venturing group was the start of my interest in EMS. Got my Eagle in 2009 through Boston Minuteman.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
Sleepy Hollow in Three Point. I want to say 2002-2008. In 2008 (maybe 2007 I can't remember) all I did was the BSA Lifeguard course, which along with a MFR course taken the same year through a Venturing group was the start of my interest in EMS. Got my Eagle in 2009 through Boston Minuteman.

Oh. We've crossed paths. Many times.

And I have sung "The Buffalo Dance" to you.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Retail sales. First in sporting gear, then into electronics for the big bucks :p

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Used to work in grocery stores in the bakery department. Had to find a new career due to a severe food allergy.
Went back to school to become a veterinary technician. (see screen name)
Got laid off, and was offered the chance to go to school for my EMT license. Was not about to say no to more education, especially if someone else is willing to pay the bill.
Currently work in a call-center taking orders by phone while looking for more permanent work. The job market in my area is saturated with both vet. techs, and EMTs.

I'm not giving up on EMS, I do that as a volunteer.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Oh. We've crossed paths. Many times.

And I have sung "The Buffalo Dance" to you.

My ears would ring for days after going home from all the singing in the dining hall. My troop was known for singing christmas carols to drown everyone out so we could go back to eating every now and again. I don't think I've ever seen scoutmasters so proud.

My last year was the last year they did not have flush toilets, as a marker.

I did consider working there for a time but I wanted more money, yet somehow I ended up in EMS. Hmmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
My ears would ring for days after going home from all the singing in the dining hall. My troop was known for singing christmas carols to drown everyone out so we could go back to eating every now and again. I don't think I've ever seen scoutmasters so proud.

My last year was the last year they did not have flush toilets, as a marker.

I did consider working there for a time but I wanted more money, yet somehow I ended up in EMS. Hmmmm....

What's the point? :p

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
More or less in order and many overlapped. Growing up my father had an automotive dealership then had a motorcycle dealership and specialty vehicles. He felt I should be able to do everything. He and I had a few other business ventures together and separetly as well, mostly automotive. If it had wheels and a motor but no wings I've probably dealt with it.

Swim Instructor
Lifeguard
janitor / lot monkey
parts clerk / gopher
hotel clerk
salesman / lease mgr
accounting clerk
service advisor / warrenty clerk
parts and service rep (Travelling)
unlicensed mechanic
operated a tire store,
operated an outdoor equipment store
operated car rentals
Landlord
International purveyor of specialty mushrooms
operated a portable sign co.

And somehow out of all that I ended up a paramedic. You never know what life has in store for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Backblast

Forum Crew Member
4 years in the Marine Corps after high school
Police officer for a few years after I got out of the Marines
Deputy sheriff after I got tired of the police department
LPN for the past 13 years
Start EMT-B course in less than 48 hours
Planning on paramedic school next year

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Lab Tech Assistant at a cement company x5 months ---> jobless x3 months ---> Baskin Robbins (ice cream shop) x2 years ---> Wingstop (chicken wing fast food) x2 years

MidwestEMT

Forum Crew Member
I've worked at Goodwill for almost 2 years now. Started out as a donation attendant, and currently working in online sales/shipping.

Hoping to get the heck outta there and into a private now that i'm certified.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader