JEMS article: EMT or Paramedic?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Our generalised term is Ambulance Officer has been so since 1975 and over the years the "levels" have changed names but the generic term has stayed the same.

That is because you Kiwis are a lot closer to having an efficient, properly run EMS system than us Americans. :-S

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
More often than not I here "The paramedics are here," rather than "The EMTs are here."

So, I say go with that.

orange20medic

Forum Crew Member
I'm going to go on the opposite side of what everyone is saying. While medic is more commonly used by the public, we should not be identifying ourselves as medics. We could go on the scene of someone who is very ill and identify ourselves as medics- and the patient knows the difference between an EMT and a Medic. He would be expecting us to do things to help him get better when in reality we (EMT basics) cannot help him the way he is expecting.

I say we go by EMT's if anything. The NREMT (currently) classifies people as NREMT-Basics, NREMT-Intermediates, and NREMT-Paramedics. Everybody is technically an EMT while Basics and intermediates are not Paramedics/medics.

Anything is better than Ambulance Driver... just what I think. :p

medic417

The Truth Provider
Considering that the counties that surround the USA us the term Paramedic it would just make since that we use it as well.

And again look at the changes Paramedic will no longer have emt in front of it. Yes only a paper fix but still need to get on board.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I've been called everything from a paramedic to an "uh... ambulance... dude," and you know what? I really don't care either way.

I always identify myself as an EMT, if someone calls me a medic, I shrug it off, if they ask me to do something out of my scope, I'll explain the situation to them.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
thread jack :)

Too bad we can't at least get something analagous to the NFPA standards for EMS. I know the standards aren't mandated, but if there's a court case, the NFPA standards will be brought up.

I think something with the power of joint commission would be better.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I say we go by EMT's if anything. The NREMT (currently) classifies people as NREMT-Basics, NREMT-Intermediates, and NREMT-Paramedics. Everybody is technically an EMT while Basics and intermediates are not Paramedics/medics.
However, the NREMT is currently in the process of implementing the EMR/EMT/AEMT/Paramedic nomenclature.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
However, there are alternatives to Joint Commission accreditation.

Alternatives are fine. As long as people not playing ball can have money withheld.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Speaking as the general public, what to call you all was the last thing on my mind whenever I've needed help.

And they've always just come up to me and said "I'm [first name], what's wrong?". Their job title wasn't part of the equation. :)

Although, one time we called the ambulance for a 17 year old kid who cut his head open. The EMT was a highly attractive female and he tried to call her all sorts of names to hit on her. She was not amused. :unsure:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Another vote for a generic 'medic'.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
A normal conversation:

What do you do?

I'm an emt

Huh?

Like a paramedic.

Ahhhh!! I gotcha.
------------------------

I agree that most of the public responds to the term paramedic. I don't often refer to myself as medic, because I see that as more of a military term. Referencing yourself as a paramedic to a lay person is fine I guess. The only trouble I could see is if you reference yourself as a paramedic and the person is a healthcare provider. Wouldn't wanna claim a higher level of certification even if it was to only dumb down things.... It would be an awkward situation to get yourself out of cause it would seem as though you are again claiming a higher cert than you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I get that same question everyday. Doesnt matter if I'm on an ambulance or off duty. Its always "what is an EMT". I don't like to say medic or paramedic because the fact is I'm just an EMT and not a medic.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Let us look internationally

Canada (except Alberta)
Primary Care Paramedic
Advanced Care Paramedic

Canada (Alberta)
Emergency Medical Technician
Paramedic

UK
Emergency Care Support Worker
Paramedic

Australia (WA, NT, NSW, ACT, SA)
Paramedic
Intensive Care Paramedic

Australia (Qld)
Advanced Care Paramedic
Intensive Care Paramedic

New Zealand
Emergency Medical Technician (volunteers)
Paramedic
Intensive Care Paramedic

South Africa
Emergency Care Technician
Emergency Care Practitioner

So how about this (but only after a massive educational and scope of practice increase)?

Paramedic
Advanced Care Paramedic
Intensive Care Paramedic

mainevent1536

Forum Ride Along
I like the idea of the name "medic". It's something most if not all people would understand and would be a great way of unifying EMS under one title

medic417

The Truth Provider
Let us look internationally

Canada (except Alberta)
Primary Care Paramedic
Advanced Care Paramedic

Canada (Alberta)
Emergency Medical Technician
Paramedic

UK
Emergency Care Support Worker
Paramedic

Australia (WA, NT, NSW, ACT, SA)
Paramedic
Intensive Care Paramedic

Australia (Qld)
Advanced Care Paramedic
Intensive Care Paramedic

New Zealand
Emergency Medical Technician (volunteers)
Paramedic
Intensive Care Paramedic

South Africa
Emergency Care Technician
Emergency Care Practitioner

So how about this (but only after a massive educational and scope of practice increase)?

Paramedic
Advanced Care Paramedic
Intensive Care Paramedic

Mexico Paramedico

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
The back of all of our shirts say 'MEDIC', but most of the time we get referred to as '@$$holes' anyway :D

Last edited by a moderator: