Jelco IV insertion tips

dcolbert3

Forum Crew Member
Let me hear em'! Having trouble with these caths

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, what issues are you having with them?
I think they're a lot easier to use than other designs (especially those tiny BD and Braun ones that require you to pull out the needle and spill blood vs advancing the catheter).

OP
OP
dcolbert3

dcolbert3

Forum Crew Member
Seem to shear the vein more often with them when i'm trying to pull back the needle to lock it while advancing the cath

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
IDK how much I can help, since they're what I mainly learned with. But I focus on getting a flash, advancing the needle another 2mm, then smoothly and slowly advancing the catheter into the vein rather than pulling the needle back. Hopefully that helped. If not, at least it got some traffic on your thread.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I hated them, although I didn't have to use them very often. I found that you had to be conscious of making sure your movements were very linear when retracting the needle into the barrel of the unit. Otherwise you move the whole thing around too much. I don't have this issue with other catheters that are not such massive units.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
They just require a little bit of adjustment and getting used to them. I originally learned to start IVs with Insyte Autoguards and it took me a couple weeks to become proficient with the Jelco. Now I am way more comfortable using the Jelco and actually carry a 20G Jelco in my uniform for tough sticks when I'm working at a station that only has Autoguards.

General IV tips still apply. I always felt that the Jelcos require slightly more insertion post flash than the Autoguards. I initially struggled with not advancing my Jelcos far enough post flash and had many IV attempts fail to advance. I also think that they seem "sharper" somehow and easier to advance through both sides of the vein, but also easier to penetrate slightly tough skin. YMMV, but these have always been my incredibly unscientific and anecdotal feelings on the matter. Practice more and you're bound to improve.

Another German

Forum Probie
Hey Folks,

i know, EMS in the US are using different types of "IV devices" than we in Germany (and many parts of Europe). Had one of you ever made experience with these kind of IV´s (see the picture)?

Vasofix_Safety_Produktfamilie_300_RGB_4.jpg

Quite easy to apply, easy to fix (if necessary, you can can sew it onto the patients skin). At the end you only apply your infusion and if you want to apply any medication, you have a port for this reason at the top of the IV. By the way............in Germany it is permitted by law, to use IV devices and needles (in hospital an EMS for example) without a security measurement against "stabbing wounds" through IV devices. Usually if you put out the steel mandrin of the IV, a security measurment pops over the sharp end of the neddle (which can´t be removed).

Greetings

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Haven't seen 'em. Never seen a peripheral IV you can suture in place, in fact.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Haven't seen 'em. Never seen a peripheral IV you can suture in place, in fact.

...these are very common in vet medicine. My wife uses them frequently. She said they're great for horses and large dogs. You can just throw a couple of quick stitches in place and wrap coban around them.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hey Folks,

i know, EMS in the US are using different types of "IV devices" than we in Germany (and many parts of Europe). Had one of you ever made experience with these kind of IV´s (see the picture)?

Vasofix_Safety_Produktfamilie_300_RGB_4.jpg

Quite easy to apply, easy to fix (if necessary, you can can sew it onto the patients skin). At the end you only apply your infusion and if you want to apply any medication, you have a port for this reason at the top of the IV. By the way............in Germany it is permitted by law, to use IV devices and needles (in hospital an EMS for example) without a security measurement against "stabbing wounds" through IV devices. Usually if you put out the steel mandrin of the IV, a security measurment pops over the sharp end of the neddle (which can´t be removed).

Greetings
Cool! What's the device on the top with the hole?

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
...these are very common in vet medicine. My wife uses them frequently. She said they're great for horses and large dogs. You can just throw a couple of quick stitches in place and wrap coban around them.

Hard to tape to fur I guess...

NomadicMedic

Huh. Separate from the line itself that I'm assuming still attaches to the back?
Yeah. Strange. When I did my medic internship, the Franciscan hospitals in Washington were using IV catheters that had an extention set already attached. There's a lot of goofy stuff out there. And as an aside, the vet catheters don't have any safety engineering controls. They're just straight up catheters with regular sharps, like the old days.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yeah. Strange. When I did my medic internship, the Franciscan hospitals in Washington were using IV catheters that had an extention set already attached. There's a lot of goofy stuff out there. And as an aside, the vet catheters don't have any safety engineering controls. They're just straight up catheters with regular sharps, like the old days.
Did they look anything like these?

07123fc3a3352419b4746d8387eb8051.jpg

These were the bane of my existence in paramedic school. The nurses at Medical Center of Aurora loved them after getting used to them, but I only ever used them often enough to achieve an IV success rate somewhere south of 50% with that device. There are likely still some patients in the metro Denver area who recoil with fear and PTSD when they see someone coming at them with an IV set up.

NomadicMedic

Those are them (or very similar)
I was ... ehh... not very competent with them.

"A regular jelco though..." (he said, getting back on topic)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Did they look anything like these?

07123fc3a3352419b4746d8387eb8051.jpg

These were the bane of my existence in paramedic school. The nurses at Medical Center of Aurora loved them after getting used to them, but I only ever used them often enough to achieve an IV success rate somewhere south of 50% with that device. There are likely still some patients in the metro Denver area who recoil with fear and PTSD when they see someone coming at them with an IV set up.
I just can't even...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I really like them. Besides getting the needle to retract I have had no issues with inserting them. I also like the bd needles. Really the only kind I don't like are the spring loaded ones.