IV acetaminophen

18G

Paramedic
Somehow I just found out that IV acetaminophen was FDA approved in the US in 2010. I had an L&D transport and the patient was given IV acetaminophen.

Are any EMS agencies carrying the IV form? I can only imagine the cost per dose.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'd be surprised if very many places are carrying this prehospital.

Cost is probably reasonable per dose (I want to say around $30 for the 1G vial?) but like many things, the onset time is too long to be of much benefit prehospital.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For prehospital uses Toradol would make more sense as the NSAID of choice... but I have seen it ordered here in the ED before

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
Tylenol isn't an NSAID though. There is some issue with Toradol and bleeding risk in certain conditions. Some say NSAIDs should not be used in adult fractures due to complicating healing. I'm personally not a fan of Toradol in the field.

We have PO acetaminophen in our protocols for fever only. The IV form would be useful with severe nausea and vomiting and with febrile children who refuse to take anything PO and who by chance where held long enough to start an IV.

I'm not seeing a real good use for the IV form as analgesia. Any other thoughts?

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
I don't subscribe to the "delayed onset so it's a waste of time prehospital". The sooner a med is onboard the sooner the patient gets relief. If we delay in the field, the patient could end up waiting 1-2hours before getting a med (ie busy ED, physician seeing the patient and writing orders, nurse getting around to give the med, etc).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Renal colics

Seeing as opiates and opioids can cause ureter spasm. Seems counter productive to me...

jwk

Forum Captain
We use IV acetaminophen (Ofirmev) all the time in surgery. Our PACU nurses swear by it - it decreases the need for post-op narcotics, which in our field is desirable since less narcotics = less respiratory depression.

I can't recall the exact cost - it of course is far more expensive than PO Tylenol, but far far cheaper than things like precedex which some are advocating for other uses with far fewer indications.

I suppose it would be OK pre-hospital as long as you're aware it doesn't have rapid effect like narcotics, and for that reason alone, I'm not sure how much utility it has in EMS. There are a couple other important things to remember:

The pediatric dose is 12.5mg/kg. It is not approved for kids younger then 2 y/o.

Make sure your receiving facility knows your patient got IV acetaminophen and WHEN the dose was administered. Because of that relatively narrow safety margin with acetaminophen, overdosage is a distinct possibility - not great if someone comes along and gives the patient a couple Percocet shortly after arrival in the ED.

One last thing - our Ofirmev comes in a 100cc glass bottle - I'm not sure if it's available in a plastic container. Even in the dark ages when I did EMS, glass bottles were forbidden on our units.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just as a point of note, Tridil and CyanoKits are in glass bottles. Both frequently used prehospital.

Nova1300

Forum Lieutenant
I don't think you will use this stuff in the field. Its an adjunct for a patient who had other modes of analgesia (opiates, ketamine, etc.) I don't see it doing much as monotherapy.

If you are really dying to give Tylenol to a patient who cant tolerate PO, I have a pretty good place you can stick it :huh:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't subscribe to the "delayed onset so it's a waste of time prehospital". The sooner a med is onboard the sooner the patient gets relief. If we delay in the field, the patient could end up waiting 1-2hours before getting a med (ie busy ED, physician seeing the patient and writing orders, nurse getting around to give the med, etc).

I somewhat agree, but why not just use a med that has a faster onset? Shouldn't prehospital patients have their pain treated now, rather than 60 minutes from now, when Ofirmev peaks?

Also, for severe pain Ofirmev is inadequate as a sole analgesic. It makes a great adjunct to opioids, but if you were hurting badly you'd want narcs anyway.

Narcs are cheaper, they work faster, and are more suited for the management of severe pain.

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
I somewhat agree, but why not just use a med that has a faster onset? Shouldn't prehospital patients have their pain treated now, rather than 60 minutes from now, when Ofirmev peaks?

Also, for severe pain Ofirmev is inadequate as a sole analgesic. It makes a great adjunct to opioids, but if you were hurting badly you'd want narcs anyway.

Narcs are cheaper, they work faster, and are more suited for the management of severe pain.

I completely agree. I was just making a general statement regarding that "delayed onset so why give it in the field" argument. Several other meds fall under this.

That makes perfect sense about the IV acetaminophen. I was just wanting to see if there was some utility to using it pre-hospital that I may have been missing.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

OFRIMEV website: 15 minutes onset for analgesia, and 30 for antipyresis.

mycrofft

Good points.
Antipyresis is one thing narcs don't address.
Moderate to mild pain and blocks to other routes (can't swallow pills) or drugs (bad synergy) might be reasons to use it, but I think we're talking rare and very sick people here.

KellyBracket

Forum Captain
The IV form would be useful with ... febrile children who refuse to take anything PO and who by chance where held long enough to start an IV.

Yes, that would be useful, if that were an important goal. There is no need to "treat a fever" by anyone, let alone EMS. This is not just my wacky opinion, but also the stance of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

I went over some of the background and evidence in Fever - does EMS need to treat it?

Of course, APAP and the NSAIDs are great for treating discomfort and minor aches. And you also can't overlook the power of a popsicle. Now that pre-hospital therapeutic hypothermia is out, perhaps the fridge for the cold saline can be repurposed!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
And you also can't overlook the power of a popsicle. Now that pre-hospital therapeutic hypothermia is out, perhaps the fridge for the cold saline can be repurposed!

Popsicles and Kool-Aid! Sounds good to me!

mycrofft

Yes, that would be useful, if that were an important goal. There is no need to "treat a fever" by anyone, let alone EMS. This is not just my wacky opinion, but also the stance of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

I went over some of the background and evidence in Fever - does EMS need to treat it?

Of course, APAP and the NSAIDs are great for treating discomfort and minor aches. And you also can't overlook the power of a popsicle. Now that pre-hospital therapeutic hypothermia is out, perhaps the fridge for the cold saline can be repurposed!
Thanks.
HAS anyone looked at acetaminophen as tx for heat stroke? (I know, I'll go look…rustle rustle rustle).

edit (approaching footsteps running):

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/166320-treatment

Do NOT treat non febrile hyperthermia with antipyretics. (DO give sugar and address shivering with benzos…what!?).

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Thanks.
HAS anyone looked at acetaminophen as tx for heat stroke? (I know, I'll go look…rustle rustle rustle).

Totally different mechanisms right? I mean, Tylenol isn't some kind of internal cooling agent that will combat external extreme temperature gradients leading to hyperthermia.

mycrofft

Totally different mechanisms right? I mean, Tylenol isn't some kind of internal cooling agent that will combat external extreme temperature gradients leading to hyperthermia.

See my edit to my latest reply. Yes.

AND I QUOTE:
" Antipyretics (eg, acetaminophen, aspirin, other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents) have no role in the treatment of heatstroke because antipyretics interrupt the change in the hypothalamic set point caused by pyrogens. They are not expected to work on a healthy hypothalamus that has been overloaded, as in the case of heatstroke. In this situation, antipyretics actually may be harmful in patients who develop hepatic, hematologic, and renal complications because they may aggravate bleeding tendencies."