It's me again...

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
I had more tests last night. WOWser. They were 4 individual tests on 4 different chapters. I was one of a few who passed all 4 tests.
When I got my results back, I was in total shock. I got 100, 100, 96, and 92.
Our grading scale is 94-100 is an A, 86-93 is a B, 80-85 is a C and anything under 80 is considered failing.

The first four tests had my class GPA at 91. I now have a 94, which brings me up to an A. I am soooo excited. But at the same time, I am trying not to appear cocky because of it. When my classmates ask me how I did, it's hard to conceal my happiness, but I do it anyway because some of them aren't doing as well. Our first skills test is tonight. Vital Signs... YAY!! I love this part. Next week skills test will be the beginning of patient assesment. I also have another chapter test tomorrow...

Wow, what a busy week. And to top this all off, I've been SICK!!!! I left work early yesterday so I could take a nap before class last night... what can I say... it helped!

Anyways, hope you all are having a decent day today. Take it easy.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by EMTstudent@Feb 2 2005, 02:23 PM
When my classmates ask me how I did, it's hard to conceal my happiness, but I do it anyway because some of them aren't doing as well.
We have an unwritting rule in our class. We do not disclose our actual grade. If we pass or fail, yes. Those that have difficulty in an area and maybe fail a skill the first time, we work with them on that skill. But never the actual grade. Prevent hurt feelings.

Also, in the long run, My 100 is a pass and your 80 is a pass. When we go to get jobs, they aren't going to ask "So what was your score on the State Exam?" They are only concerned with "Pass or Fail"

On that note, Congrats on doing well. And I am off to study for my test tonight.

OP
OP
E

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Our system is different than yours. Ours goes by a grading system, 80-100 is passing, if you don't make the 80, you fail.

On the other note as far as grades are...again, my class is a bit different. Everyone wants to know who missed what on what test. We do share alot, but the majority of us treat the others with dignity. We compare answers so even people like myself, can see why I put the answers the way I did. Everyone has their own interpretation and it helps me learn more if I knew the way the others saw a scenario.

I am one of the oldest students in the classroom. My classmate and I (whom studies with me) are the oldest. I have observed that the younger students are the ones who really want to compare grades... Usually my own response is "I did okay"... The ones who I have grown close to already, we share...

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, we do have a grading system. Above an 80 is passing. Anything else is failing.

We just had to make the deal not to share after one of the two nurses we have in our class failed the CPR portion, miserably. When we were sharing our score, she became very upset. Since then, we don't do it.

We do work together to help each other in the areas we need help. We ask questions based on what we missed. And discuss why we answered that way.

We just don't disclose the actual score.

Thats all.

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Feb 2 2005, 02:49 PM
..... one of the two nurses we have in our class failed the CPR portion, miserably............
that's so sad...... I'm an ACLS instructor and do you know who the worst people are at ACLS? Residents followed by RN's. The residents suck at it and the RN's take too damn long to make up thier mind what the rhythm is and what they want to do for it. Now there are some excellent RN's that I have worked with who can run circles around medics at acls, but for the most part, I'm left there scratching my head after they leave my station. Maybe the reason why medics are good at ACLS is because it's the reason why we exist. ACLS is the bread and butter of being a paramedic, so I guess it's drilled into our heads, but it's sad about our inhospital counterparts.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Good point. I'd have to say that the higher up you go in the EMS food chain: 1) The more you look for somebody below you to do CPR; 2) The more you believe that your CPR skills are set in stone and you don't need the practice or recertifications; 3) The more likely you are to bypass your basic skills (such as CPR) and go straight to your advanced skills (IV, drugs, defib).

You want to see good CPR done, get a First Responder or EMT-B to do it.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Well congrats! I was never good in highschool. I was a straight D student. But in my med. terminology class and my emt class I took, I always got A's. I think its easier to do well in a class you're interested in.

I don't know what it is about RN's and medics around here. There's always this on-going battle. Its like the RN's think lowly of the medics, even though they both do about the same thing. The only difference is that that medic can do it bouncing down the road. Medics around here think low of the RN's. But we worship our flight nurses. *shrug*

The flight nurse we have on our squad was told he has cancer. He has a nick name. Its God. He never picks up any shifts. (well, he did once when the chiefs mother in law died) He only responds to calls that he thinks are going to be good. Nothing impresses the guy anymore. When he does come to a call, he's alway calm and knows what needs to be done. Thats why hes God.

I start my IV-tech class in...3.5 hours. :unsure:

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Good job!! I hope you have future reason to keep tooting your horn. I also hope your book and test smarts transfers to the street with you!!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Good job, just keep it up and you should do great! :)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:D :D :D Congratulations!!!! :D :D :D