Is there a place someone can train a new EMT to drive a ambulance outside of a company?

emtbiny821

Forum Ride Along
I was trained to be a EMT, but never pursued it as a career because I never felt comfortable driving a van type ambulance or “bus.”
I recently have been driving a v8 SUV qx56 which is quite large but it has a camera on the back. Will our partner help backing up and driving it in general?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes, your partner should help with backing.

If you’re uncomfortable with driving a big vehicle, go to UHaul and rent a box truck. Drive it around for a day. Within a few hours you’ll be accustomed to the size, handling and reduced visibility.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
What nomadic said works great.

I didn't like driving the Internationals that my PT job has, then I drove a 20' Penske from NW Utah to San Antonio, and the Internationals are no problem now.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yes, your partner should help with backing.

If you’re uncomfortable with driving a big vehicle, go to UHaul and rent a box truck. Drive it around for a day. Within a few hours you’ll be accustomed to the size, handling and reduced visibility.
You'll also develop a greater appreciation for not doing stupid things around bigger trucks (like cutting them off or passing on the right)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I concur with everyone else about renting a box truck from U-Haul, Penske, or Home Depot.

While I’ve never had an accident in one, and usually decline all extra insurance offerings, you might want to sign up for every insurance offered.

Practice on the highway, major streets, and side roads. Go to an empty parking lot and practice backing up.

The biggest changes for me were using my mirrors constantly and being mindful of the size and height of my rig.

If your partner doesn’t hop out and help you to back up, ask them to.

Finally, if you can find an EVOC course, take one.

I found everyone to be helpful when I was learning how to drive the ambulance.