Is shock always the cause of death?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had this argument with numerous people.

They state that every death is technically caused by shock.

I say no.

I use a combination of brain death and clinical death to define death. So absence of brain, heart and respiratory activity.

What do you guys think?

EMT-P633

Forum Crew Member
I would say hypoxia,

But what is the deffintion of shock? inadequate tissue perfusion, right?

Which would also cause the bodies cells to be hypoxic.

Hastings

Noobie
I've never heard anyone claim the cause of death was shock.

They usually default to cardiac arrest over here.

But to answer the question, no. Shock is such a broad term. There are many different types of shock. And that makes this a hard question. Shock is often the last stage before death, but it's not the cause. There are many underlying causes of shock. So I wouldn't say the cause of death is shock. I'd say the cause of death is whatever caused the shock. I mean, shock is still often a reversible condition. So, again, the cause would be whatever caused the shock. I...can't really wrap my head around this question.

I think you should blow the next person to debate it with you off, because I can't comprehend how one would argue for or against it.

Shock. Inadequate perfusion. Well. I mean, the heart would fail because of...inadequate perfusion, which is caused by a multitude of reasons. The brain would fail because of inadequate perfusion, caused by the same reasons. So I guess I can see it. If death is failure of the heart/brain, that would ultimately be caused by lack of perfusion, which is the result of a multitude of things. So yeah, I guess they are kinda right.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Used to say that, good trainer for beginners.

Basis is that the other forms of COD (decapitation etc) cannot be addressed by first aid. They used to teach us about various "types" of shock, and this allowed them to include almost every type of COD by stretching it.

If brain death is the criterium, then whatever kills the brain kills "me". Hypoperfusion, direct trauma, hypoxia are the top three.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes & No. Shock is cellular death, thus all things that would kill causes such. In reviewing almost all COD on the death certificate, number one cause of death is cardiac arrest. This being traumatic, long term, etc.. everyone dies of an cardiac arrest.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Cardiac arrest is a type of cardiogenic shock right?

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
Would 'shock' fit the definition?

Cause of death - the disease or injury that initiates a chain of events, brief or prolonged, which produces a fatal outcome

Mechanism of death - the final physiologic derangement, incompatible with continued life, produced by the cause of death, e.g. sepsis, respiratory depression, cardiac dysrhythmia, etc.

(ref: http://www.co.weld.co.us/departments/coroner/coroner_Terms.html )

Seems like 'shock' would be mechanism of death, while whatever produced the shock would be the cause...

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Q: What always causes death?

A: Breathing too much. Everyone who has ever been considered ''alive'' has died.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

A: Breathing too much. Everyone who has ever been considered ''alive'' has died.

Birth is the first symptom of a terminal illness.

Sasha

Forum Chief

But not breathing is 100% fatal!

Stop_fighting_my_tube!

Forum Ride Along
stop spreading foolishness

Yes & No. Shock is cellular death, thus all things that would kill causes such. In reviewing almost all COD on the death certificate, number one cause of death is cardiac arrest. This being traumatic, long term, etc.. everyone dies of an cardiac arrest.

R/r 911

False. Shock and cellular death can be related but are not equal. Shock is the sympyoms associated with inadequate perfusion, no matter what that looks like. Thus ischemic cardiac tgissue can lead gto cardiogenic shock, but the tissue can be reperfused and rehabilitated. No one dies of sock....they die from exsanguinatgion, or anoxia, or asphyxiation---but no one dies from shock in the same way a pt witgh an allergic reaction isn't going to die from hives.

Mr_Episiotomy

Forum Ride Along
Shock

Sit in an electric chair and see if the shock you receive does or does not cause death. There you'll find the answer

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
False. Shock and cellular death can be related but are not equal. Shock is the sympyoms associated with inadequate perfusion, no matter what that looks like. Thus ischemic cardiac tgissue can lead gto cardiogenic shock, but the tissue can be reperfused and rehabilitated. No one dies of sock....they die from exsanguinatgion, or anoxia, or asphyxiation---but no one dies from shock in the same way a pt witgh an allergic reaction isn't going to die from hives.

So perfusion has to do with electrolytes and nutrients as well not just oxygen. People don't die from hypoglycemia, acidosis, and other electrolyte imbalances, because there is inadequate perfusion?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Sorry got here as fast as I could "sprays anti troll spray around thread" I need to get a golf cart.

I was under the impression that death meant loss of perfusion long enough to cause cellular death and was caused by cardiac arrest, and shock was simply the symptoms caused by loss of perfusion which could include cellular death but didn't necessarily have to.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Better post: define shock.

Too many "types" listed with disparate mechanisms.
Seems hard to call the fairly simple mechanism of "Cardiogenic shock" (due to asystole) when it has little or nothing to do with the cascading events of hypovolemic shock.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
A non-flowery definition

I understand shock as a system-complex that involves a progressive break down of function; a sort of Domino effect of one system faltering, leading to another slowing down, leading to another speeding up which further burdens another. Then, as it progresses, one by one they break down and stop functioning.

Many things can "trip" the beginning of that often relentless progression. It is not the causative factor of death, per se, but a major contributor to the end game.

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
So perfusion has to do with electrolytes and nutrients as well not just oxygen.

Maybe we should carry IV bags full of gatorade. jk

Luno

OG
Premium Member
I think you should blow the next person to debate it with you off, because I can't comprehend how one would argue for or against it.

Uh, I'm here for the debate... ;)

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I think some are confusing causes of shock with causes of death. Every death involves shock (inadequate tissue perfusion) but not every case of shock leads to death.