Is it a bad choice to train to become an EMT/Paramedic then work into being an RN?

SeanR

Forum Ride Along
Im nearly 23 and so many things ive tried have failed so far so im just wondering if taking this route and pursuing more education to become some sort of RN would be a sound decision? There may be questions you need to ask me to answer mine just as well. My uncle was an EMT or Paramedic (not sure which) for 22 years and i respect that so much.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Im nearly 23 and so many things ive tried have failed so far so im just wondering if taking this route and pursuing more education to become some sort of RN would be a sound decision? There may be questions you need to ask me to answer mine just as well. My uncle was an EMT or Paramedic (not sure which) for 22 years and i respect that so much.

it's a roundabout way to do it, as you'll have to start basically from scratch for the nursing degree... most paramedics can't test into nursing, although it varies based on state.

are you passionate about nursing? are you passionate about ems? are you just looking for good job prospects, a stable career?

do you want the shortest route to a stable paycheck? the easiest route? the route with the least schooling? the cheapest route?

do you want to learn the most, or practice skills that will make you the best clinician?

i'd like to hear your thoughts on these questions before i give you advice on what might best for you.

cheers,
bean

steveshurtleff

Forum Crew Member
Whatever the motivation, is learning ever a bad idea?

Euclidus

Forum Probie
Sometimes you can find specific paramedic to RN programs, so you wouldn't necessarily have to start from scratch when/if you decide to make the transition. I know there are a few around here.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I think you really need to evaluate what it is you want to do. Becoming an educated, competent, independent paramedic takes several years of work. When you're done, the hours can be flexible if you find the right job, but if not, you might have to quit to find something more reasonable to go along with nursing school if that's what you want to do.

The reality of nursing school is that it takes up a good solid 3-4 days a week, plus prep time and studying.

I went to nursing school when I was the equivalent of an EMT-I, working part time as a medic, going to school, and then when I was finished with school, I went to paramedic class during my first year of nursing practice. It was fine for someone with no life, but if you have any obligations on you outside of yourself if will suck to be in school for that long to be qualified for two basically entry-level jobs.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I did it at age 27

After three years out of school (and a marriage),then four years active duty firefighting overlapping four working as an EMT-A (aka EMT-B now) during which I became a father, I went back to school.
I was told to put my EMT away mentally until I passed the BSN. I had to adopt a more nurselike demeanor (shaving my moustache raised my GPA somehow). I woldn't say the EMT experience hurt my nursing school time, but unless I needed the income (and I did), just submerging into the nursing college would have been a better deal.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
On the one hand, you could get the medic cert real quick, and go to school, for the three years or more it would take for the RN, and be able to do it on a liveable wage, or have to go to school while making no money, or maybe for 10 bucks an hour as an EMT if you want flexible hours. It may be that your financial situation will not survive three years of poor compensation.

On the other hand, you can get the degree, be paid well as an RN, challenge the medic cert exam in some states (or just do a quickie mill), and be able to work as a medic (if you still want) and not be owned by the EMS agency. With a degree, you'll always have options.

With only a medic cert, you may intend to go back to school, but what often happens is that you take a second job, or maybe work OT, and reason that the money is around the same as you would make as a nurse. So, you tell yourself that there's no reason to do three more years of school when you're already making the same money (with OT or per diem work), and then increase your standard of living to reflect that inflated salary. Now, you need the OT to pay your bills and debts. Congratulations, you've now pigeonholed yourself into an EMS career. Again, with that degree, you can up and leave at any time and go back to nursing FT and be happy, knowing how things are in the EMS world.

Edit: If you're still living with your parents, I'd go with the degree first. Your 30 something self will thank you. If you're already supporting a household, you may need to do a medic mill first as a matter of necessity.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
It's not a terrible idea. But if you want to do the RN/EMT-P thing, it would make more sense to get your BSN first and then breeze through paramedic school.

Sunyata

Forum Probie
I think it really all depends on your situation. And your location.

From a time stand point, it will be easier to go through your BSN program first, then go through the bridge program (if your area allows that) to get your EMT-P certification. While you are in nursing school, you should go through an EMT-B program and earn some extra credit hours.

In Virginia, it will take you about 4 years (if you have no undergrad work previously) to go through the BSN program at most schools. The EMT-B course ranges in how long it will take depending on how many hours/day days/week the classes are. The course I took was about 13 weeks. The RN to EMT-P bridge course is 120 hours plus clinicals.

Just something to think about.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Try shaving the stache first. If that doesn't help, you're young; you have the time to do EMS as you continue working on nursing requirements. Walking into an ER job would be pretty easy at that point. Good Luck :)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I would have to say that it probably depends upon where you are in your schooling to become an RN... primarily whether or not you've already completed your prerequisites. If you're done or close to it, go into the RN program. If you're right at the beginning, you might consider going into EMS for a while, to at least defray some of the costs of going to school. One of the FEW benefits of working in EMS is that the scheduling is usually fairly flexible, however do NOT expect to get much studying done while working in the field. Space in the ambulance is usually fairly cramped and you will likely have frequent, prolonged interruptions in your studying. It will, however, get you over any fear of approaching people and asking them stuff...

If you're simply looking at overall time to completing the RN/EMTP combo, again, depending upon prerequisites already completed, it may be faster to go RN and challenge EMTP.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Challenging tech from Nurse isn't as easy as it sounds

Schools want you to take the course not challenge it. Calif law styat5es they "will provide" challenge opportunities, but I've yet to find a school up here that will. I think I threaded on this earlier this year and found UCLA in Los Angeles will.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It's not a bad idea if you remember they are two separate professions. Don't confuse they two. Yes; they have very similarities but that's it!.. Alike radiology, respiratory therapy, etc ...

R/r 911